Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What four post lift should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 04:33 AM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What four post lift should I get?

I'm in the market for a four post lift to both store service my cars. I know what I need in terms of weight capacity and size, but other than that I have no idea what the hell I'm doing I'd appreciate some advice from those of you that have lifts.
I'm currently looking at the Bendpak HD-9ST or 9STX. These meet my needs for both size and capacity. I have little to no height restrictions, but I have limitations for length and width.
What do you use and why?

TIA

Old 09-10-2017, 06:48 AM
thatonealex
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a similar situation, however I'm more inclined to get a 2 post lift due to ease of access when working on the car. They aren't ideal for storage though, as it makes the suspension sag.

HOWEVER, Mohawk seems to have a (pricey) solution! They have a 2 post specifically designed for storage that has an attachment to lift the car by the wheels. I'm in Europe so it's difficult to source Mohawk products, I'm thinking about building a similar setup.

Maybe that would be an option for you though?
http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/automo...service-lifts/
Old 09-10-2017, 07:10 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice garage! I've never seen a vaulted ceiling in one with storage lofts. The builder must have been a car guy.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:30 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

See edited version below...

Last edited by John Belk; 09-10-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Stuff
Old 09-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by shadow993
Nice garage! I've never seen a vaulted ceiling in one with storage lofts. The builder must have been a car guy.
Thanks! Yep, the builder was me!
I'm an engineer and like to keep myself busy with projects, so I built this garage by hand, by myself (with solicitations for help here and there). Vaulted ceilings for up to two high-rise lifts; built-in, behind-the-wall compressed air system with a wall mounted filter/regulator and the compressor isolated in a shed outside of the garage; lots of canned lighting to show off those masterpieces, 9ft high doors for my big rigs with a third door exiting the back to the yard and additional car storage space; and, as you mentioned, attic storage.
I'm very proud of myself, can you tell?

Originally Posted by thatonealex
Mohawk seems to have a (pricey) solution! They have a 2 post specifically designed for storage that has an attachment to lift the car by the wheels. I'm in Europe so it's difficult to source Mohawk products, I'm thinking about building a similar setup.
Thanks for the reply! I'll look into this, although I think I'm pretty dead-set on a four post at this point. I'm looking at these...

Old 09-10-2017, 03:16 PM
John Belk
Racer

Before you decide on a manufacturer and/or type of lift, there are some factors for you to consider. These factors are based on my anecdotal experiences of buying and installing a "Eagle 8000lbs 4-Post Lift" two months ago.
https://www.eagleequip.com/product/M...UaAuEGEALw_wcB

1. What will the primary use be: Storage or Maintenance? Four posts are great for storage and some maintenance and two posts are great for maintenance and limited storage. Plus, 4 post do not require bolting to the concrete floor, while 2 post are stationary do and have specific concrete depth and type requirements.

2. What is your budget, during my research I found USA Made units like my Backyard Buddy for over $5000.00 or Chinese Made units in the $2000.00 range. I purchased an Eagle 4-Post Lift for $2200.00 that came with aluminum drive on ramps, lift jack stand (for jacking the car up to change tires, etc, three drip pans and four caster wheels used to move the lift.

3. What is your no kidding maximum car height lift capability. For example, my garage ceiling is 12', but the garage door arm limits the top of my car to 10' 6". I did have the garage door company hug the garage ceiling as close as possible, but I still lost 1' 6" from the top of the ceiling.

4. You will lose width and length useable space due to the lifts dimensions. I used tape on the floor to premeasure my lift.

5. NOTE: Most lift companies will ship via truck the lift to your home. Read the fine print, often you are responsible to unload the 2000Lbs plus, lift with a forklift. One option is to find a local company that will take delivery and then load it to your trailer. I bought from a local lift company, drove 150 miles and they loaded my lift onto my trailer. Some lift companies offer free delivery, but read the fine print about unloading the lift from the truck.

6. Assembly!!! This is not a one or two man job, one piece alone weighs close to 500lbs, that's the ramp that houses the hydraulic piston. These are heavy pieces!!! The directions were less than helpful, read forward in the direction and then read again. I would suggest not tightening all of the nuts and bolts until you're damn sure you have it correct. We had to go in reverse a couple times. What took the longest was all the lift mechanisms and steel cables...take your time. I had 6 buddies to help lift and turn wrenches, it took about 8 hours.

7. 110 vs. 220, I chose 110.. plenty of outlets to choose from and there was little lift time advantage between the two. Eagle Lifts offer it at the same price.

I can only vouch for Eagle Lifts, good quality, good price and customer service has been great!!! . One of my buddies has two. No problems

Regardless of what lift manufacturer you go with, pls consider the various factors I've shared. JB

Last edited by John Belk; 09-10-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Stuff
Old 09-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 2 post in the garage for service. I can store a car underneath it if i need to and have done so on several occasions.

The one I am buying next is for my car storage shop, and it will fit yours too....it's a Bendpak 4 post tandem lift. Fits 2 cars on top, 2 cars on the bottom for storage. Would fit perfectly in your space you took a pic of. So you can fit FOUR cars in that spot.

I'll be buying mine within the next couple months as I am out of space.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:49 PM
John Belk
Racer

Originally Posted by Catorce
I have a 2 post in the garage for service. I can store a car underneath it if i need to and have done so on several occasions.

The one I am buying next is for my car storage shop, and it will fit yours too....it's a Bendpak 4 post tandem lift. Fits 2 cars on top, 2 cars on the bottom for storage. Would fit perfectly in your space you took a pic of. So you can fit FOUR cars in that spot.

I'll be buying mine within the next couple months as I am out of space.
Not sure the distance between the upper structures in his ceiling would support the 17' or 20' width required, maybe they would, don't know for sure... But, "WOW" I'd love to have that capability...just don't have the space myself.

However, I do have a question...why not two lifts for about half the cost of $12,000.00 for a tandem lift? Just curious what the benefits of one vs. the other would be?

Thanks! JB
Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Belk
Before you decide on a manufacturer and/or type of lift, there are some factors for you to consider. These factors are based on my anecdotal experiences of buying and installing a "Eagle 8000lbs 4-Post Lift" two months ago....

Hey JB, thanks for all the useful information. I shouldn't say, "...I don't know what the hell I'm doing," because I have put quite a bit of thought and research into this. After doing all my analysis, this is what my needs are:

1. Primary use:
Both storage and service, so I'm looking at four post lifts. I plan to purchase a hydraulic lift that can lift the wheels off the lift for more service ability.

2. Budget:
I plan on spending $4,000 to $5,000, roughly.

3. Lift height and capacity:
I'd like to be able to service my fully overland built LX470 which tips the scales around 4 tons; therefore, I'm looking at 9,000lb capacity lifts, which are in my price range and just over the weight limit that I need.
I can and want to go as high as possible. The highest 9,000lb lift has a rise of 82". I'm certain that, with my 18' vaulted ceiling, I can put my LX470 both under that and on top of that at full rise.

4. Fitment:
I've already measured and taped off the garage for two lifts: Bendpak HD-9ST and the high-rise Bendpak HD-9STX. I've narrowed it down these based on width and load capicity. The high-rise Bendpak HD-9STX would be a home run with the exception that it's longer than the other by 2ft! 2 linear feet in a garage can make it or break it. I have the space for it, but my garage will be much more crowded.

5. Shipping via freight noted.

6. Installation:
I don't have a fork lift, so I was planning to hire a local company for about $700 to both take delivery (shipping is free) and install it. I'm more than able to handle installing it, but I'm not sure this is something I can do without help. Or is it? I'd love to save some money.

7. Power supply:
Since I personally built my garage and planned on having lifts, both my concrete and wiring was done to accommodate a 220v lift.

Last edited by Artwerks; 09-10-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:57 PM
John Belk
Racer

Originally Posted by Artwerks
Hey JB, thanks for all the useful information. I shouldn't say, "...I don't know what the hell I'm doing," because I have put quite a bit of thought and research into this. After doing all my analysis, this is what my needs are:

1. Primary use:
Both storage and service, so I'm looking at four post lifts. I plan to purchase a hydraulic lift that can lift the wheels off the lift for more service ability.

2. Budget:
I plan on spending $4,000 to $5,000, roughly.

3. Lift height and capacity:
I'd like to be able to service my fully overland built LX470 which tips the scales around 4 tons; therefore, I'm looking at 9,000lb capacity lifts, which are in my price range and just over the weight limit that I need.
I can and want to go as high as possible. The highest 9,000lb lift has a rise of 82". I'm certain that, with my 18' vaulted ceiling, I can put my LX470 both under that and on top of that at full rise.

4. Fitment:
I've already measured and taped off the garage for two lifts: Bendpak HD-9ST and the high-rise Bendpak HD-9STX. I've narrowed it down these based on width and load capicity. The high-rise Bendpak HD-9STX would be a home run with the exception that it's longer than the other by 2ft! 2 linear feet in a garage can make it or break it. I have the space for it, but my garage will be much more crowded.

5. Shipping via freight noted.

6. Installation:
I don't have a fork lift, so I was planning to hire a local company for about $700 to both take delivery (shipping is free) and install it. I'm more than able to handle installing it, but I'm not sure this is something I can do without help. Or is it? I'd love to save some money.

7. Power supply:
Since I personally build my garage and planned on having lifts, both my concrete wiring was done to accommodate a 220v lift.
You really have thought this through...Honestly, unless you just want to construct the lift yourself, $700.00 sounds like a bargain for them to take delivery and install it. You, renting a fork lift and accepting the risk could be costly, then you would need a handful of buddies to help. After picking mine up and installing it, and recovering from having nearly pulled a groin, I'd happily pay $700.00 if I bought another lift.

Ask yourself, how many times would you need to put your LX470 on top of the lift. To give up two feet which over time may be an issue, especially if it makes your space tight...we'll it won't get better over time. It really comes to how much is that LX470 going to be a topic.

Best!!! JB
Old 09-10-2017, 10:54 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure the distance between the upper structures in his ceiling would support the 17' or 20' width required, maybe they would, don't know for sure... But, "WOW" I'd love to have that capability...just don't have the space myself.

However, I do have a question...why not two lifts for about half the cost of $12,000.00 for a tandem lift? Just curious what the benefits of one vs. the other would be?

Thanks! JB
I initially wanted to get two as well, but my shop's space for this thing was tight. I found that while 2 lifts were cheaper, they also had double the posts. And clutter.

Here is the link, check it out.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/par...ts/hd-9sw.aspx

The lift is like $6200
Old 09-10-2017, 10:54 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Thanks! JB
Thanks for keeping this going, guys.
I'm looking at single, four post lifts. A double was in consideration at one point, but I like to drive all my cars and I'd hate to have to move two to three cars every time I needed to get to one or both of the cars on the top. I concluded that two single lifts would offer me more flexibility and efficiency.
However, I imagine double four post lifts save some space in the garage width-wise. I'm not too too worried about space -- Under the 18' vaulted ceiling I have 24' of width and 24' of depth.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:59 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Lots of good points shared.

I did quite a bit of research and went with Quality Lifts model Q4P07 with my install 3 months ago.
220v (faster than 110). No need for external air compressor.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.qualitylifts.com/about.shtml

Unfortunately, I have only one not so great pic to show.

-DC
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

...$700.00 sounds like a bargain for them to take delivery and install it.... After picking mine up and installing it, and recovering from having nearly pulled a groin, I'd happily pay $700.00 if I bought another lift.

Ask yourself, how many times would you need to put your LX470 on top of the lift. To give up two feet which over time may be an issue, especially if it makes your space tight...we'll it won't get better over time. It really comes to how much is that LX470 going to be a topic.

Best!!! JB
Thanks, JB. That is really helping me think through this in the right direction. I really value you my space in the garage and because of that I'm really hesitant to pull the trigger on the taller lift. On the other hand, how many times am I going to need to park my truck under the lift requiring the taller lift? I really don't want the truck on the lift for anything other than servicing it (not storage) and I have another, third, parking space in the garage suitable for the truck, so I think I will have to go with the 9,000lb lift that will save me some space despite it not being as tall.

Anyone have any recommendations for other lift manufacturers/models before I pull the trigger?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:14 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by ok-cami
Lots of good points shared.

I did quite a bit of research and went with Quality Lifts model Q4P07 with my install 3 months ago.
220v (faster than 110). No need for external air compressor.

Here's a link to their site:

http://www.qualitylifts.com/about.shtml

Unfortunately, I have only one not so great pic to show.

-DC
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the specs on the Quality Lifts 9,000lb lifts and they are much wider and longer than the Bendpak, so that won't work for me.

The pic doesn't look that bad to me. Can I have your 993? Please?

Quick Reply: What four post lift should I get?