Sponsored by:

Speed Tech X-Pipe Initial Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:53 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
The 200 cell catted 'loud' version. It was a crossover design, instead of an x-pipe like from Speedtech. I believe that's why there was such a difference in sound. The x-pipe sound is much more pleasing to my ear.

Have you heard the catted 3" speedtech x-pipe in person, or driven in a car with one installed? I have done several road trips in my car now, including a 3000 mile tour, and while you can certainly hear the exhaust it most definitely isn't overbearing enough to cause discomfort or headaches...
I have noticed with slight crack in the window on the highway and the slightest wind noise seems to totally cancel out any overbearing exhaust noise...
Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
The 200 cell catted 'loud' version. It was a crossover design, instead of an x-pipe like from Speedtech. I believe that's why there was such a difference in sound. The x-pipe sound is much more pleasing to my ear.
Interesting to get your perspective, I am guessing that is the same exhaust I am running (FVD sound version). I have been very happy with the exhaust, sound has been great to my ears. Mind you the only other exhaust I have tried is stock...
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts

Here is a 997.1TT system we just shipped, all set and ready to go - 3.0 X-Pipe, HJS, ceramic black twin tips...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 08-12-2017, 05:01 AM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 20 extra minutes and I would likely still be driving!

I went with the 200 car, bypass cross pipe with the 2.5 and quad ceramic pipes. My local indy said he would try to work it into the schedule friday, called before UPS had fully pulled in the driveway Thursday. Called me at 5 today saying its on, sounds great and fits great but its 5 and they need 30 minutes to let things cool so they can make one last round of tightening and take 2 minutes to slide the bumper back on / connect the plate.
I had talked myself out of an exhaust for two years despite wishing it was a bit meaner sounding is the only item i would have liked to see from the factory (BT, Post 1997 interface for PCM + a proper cupholder, paddles not buttons) I found workarounds or felt as far as a sport cars go that is a short list of ways u had to dminish my expectations to get all the paerks
Tomorrow some friends and I were going to meet for a ~90 mile run across KY on the state route winding above the OH river. A V10 R8, 458, new viper and my TT - 81 degrees, not a clound in sky and somehow all 4 dont have anywhere to be until the evening. Offered 3x hourly to stay late but he was already doing me a favor so ill have to wait until monday to report back. Dont have many more friends with cars that can keep pace and like me enough to let me steel it for the day so waking up at 4 to get emails and texts out calling in favors. If in the Cincinnati area and have a few toys + want to join a group who started these runs 18 years ago when we got our license - my 93 grand am was not the beast i thought it was, or wants to be owed a big BIG favor id love to hear from you. If not i see golf or yard work in my future when i was set on a day of tuned 2500 HP making quite a scene throughout the ohio river valley.. John - the set looks amazing and very impressed with quality as soon as i picked it up. exactly what i hoped - thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 10:44 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts

Hi Devin, I'm glad it made it there safe and sound. And thank you again for the order and the confidence you placed in us! Have fun with it on Monday...tunnels and underpasses at high RPM WOT are pretty entertaining :-)
Old 08-17-2017, 04:41 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If anyone has a 3in system(catted or not with black 3in tips) that thinks its too loud, the car I am 99% about to buy has the 2.5in Catted system with 3in black tips I wouldn't mind trading for that visceral earth shaking sound.

The problem with living in a military town, is that you only hear American V8s. and beat up ones at that. mid 90s mustangs and corvettes here and there. I want to bring the joys of the legendary Mezger Turbo to eastern NC!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:26 PM
USNA12
Banned

Does anyone have the 3in Catless race version in Dallas Or Austin...or anywhere near I-10 between Texas and Pensacola, FL?
Old 08-25-2017, 01:44 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by USNA12
Does anyone have the 3in Catless race version in Dallas Or Austin...or anywhere near I-10 between Texas and Pensacola, FL?
I'm in MD so not helpful here but - I initially said this setup is probably not good for a daily driver - after having the exhaust for a while now, I'm changing my stance on that, I think it can work for a daily driver who wants an aggressive exhaust sound.

At 80MPH in 6th gear it really isn't that loud, at 72 MPH and around the 2100-2400 RPM range is probably it's loudest when cruising.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:52 PM
USNA12
Banned

Originally Posted by theplings
I'm in MD so not helpful here but - I initially said this setup is probably not good for a daily driver - after having the exhaust for a while now, I'm changing my stance on that, I think it can work for a daily driver who wants an aggressive exhaust sound.

At 80MPH in 6th gear it really isn't that loud, at 72 MPH and around the 2100-2400 RPM range is probably it's loudest when cruising.

Where in MD? I will be in Annapolis for Columbus day weekend for the Navy vs Air Force football game/alumni weekend
Old 08-25-2017, 05:50 PM
theplings
Racer

Originally Posted by USNA12
Where in MD? I will be in Annapolis for Columbus day weekend for the Navy vs Air Force football game/alumni weekend
I am North East of Baltimore so around an hour from Annapolis.

Quick Reply: Speed Tech X-Pipe Initial Review