Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Better to sell my 997.1 GT3 this year or next year?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:44 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by zaitsev
these conversations are hilarious... this year or next year.. analyze the price movement year over year. At the very most, we're talking about 10k and most likely far less. If you're on the market, want a GT3 and can afford one just BUY it.. life is short, your years of enjoyment count more
You own a GT3 so I understand your perspective (according to your signature)

But if you are a prospective buyer, why not wait until the market is more favorable from a buyers standpoint? The 991.2 GT3 is out this fall, and the fact remains that prices on 997 GT cars have plateaued and in some cases started to fall. As a buyer, it would serve me better to be patient, find the right car at the right time vs keeping this bubble inflated by buying something now when prices are still peaked.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:30 PM
zaitsev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosspbig
You own a GT3 so I understand your perspective (according to your signature)

But if you are a prospective buyer, why not wait until the market is more favorable from a buyers standpoint? The 991.2 GT3 is out this fall, and the fact remains that prices on 997 GT cars have plateaued and in some cases started to fall. As a buyer, it would serve me better to be patient, find the right car at the right time vs keeping this bubble inflated by buying something now when prices are still peaked.
Every current owner has at one time been a prospective buyer and has gone through this process already. I, too, considered waiting out the market, and actually waited a year in _false_ hopes of the prices coming down because they had "peaked!" To my astonishment, everything went up 10k. Things that were 70s are now 80s, 90s became 100s, and RSs doubled in price.

On top of it, maintenance and general upgrades are costly. Getting a GT3 on the last dime isn't recommended. The car is truly special and each time you get into it, it's an event. For me, that is exactly what I want each time I get the behind the wheel.

Finally.. a few years ago, and you can search this forum, and identical discussion took place on how GT4 prices were going to impact 997 GT3s. Fast forward, 0 effect and that's for a 100k car. Now, we're discussing the impact of 170-180k 991.2 GT3 on 997 GT3s... do you see what I'm getting at... if you have the money today get one. There is a higher chance that next year the prices will be higher, than they will be lower.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Ducati5150
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gen - X'rs are entering into their prime earning years - we're the generation that grew up with Testarossa, Countach and 911 Turbo posters on our walls - lots of car lust in our veins. Millennials might be a different story, however each generation once aged has looked back 20 or 30 years with nostalgia (analog).
Old 06-28-2017, 01:05 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by zaitsev
Every current owner has at one time been a prospective buyer and has gone through this process already. I, too, considered waiting out the market, and actually waited a year in _false_ hopes of the prices coming down because they had "peaked!" To my astonishment, everything went up 10k. Things that were 70s are now 80s, 90s became 100s, and RSs doubled in price.

On top of it, maintenance and general upgrades are costly. Getting a GT3 on the last dime isn't recommended. The car is truly special and each time you get into it, it's an event. For me, that is exactly what I want each time I get the behind the wheel.

Finally.. a few years ago, and you can search this forum, and identical discussion took place on how GT4 prices were going to impact 997 GT3s. Fast forward, 0 effect and that's for a 100k car. Now, we're discussing the impact of 170-180k 991.2 GT3 on 997 GT3s... do you see what I'm getting at... if you have the money today get one. There is a higher chance that next year the prices will be higher, than they will be lower.
Yep, there are still more people in the market than there are 997 GT3's and GT4's available for sale.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:09 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosspbig
I dont think this is about cost. People who have 997 GT cars really care more about the driving experience (Manual trans etc). With that in mind I think it is logical to draw several conclusions. 1) there is pent up demand for new GT cars with Manual transmissions. 2) many of the owners of 997 GT cars are able to afford the 991.2 GT3 and will attempt to buy one. 3) even if 991.2 GT3s are going for 20-40k over MSRP, that still will result in more 997 GT3s hitting the market to make room. Everyone has a different opinion here with various biases. I happen to think that the market on the 997GT cars is going to soften/normalize this fall and next spring.
Not enough supply of 991.2 manuals to go around. Say half the 991.2 manual allocations went to 997 GT3 owners. Then half of those 997 owners decided to dump their 997 instead of add to the stable that still wouldn't be a blip on the market. That's on top of the almost 6 figure price difference between a well optioned 991.2 GT3 and a 997.1 GT3. If you think a 100k price difference isn't a factor you must be in the top 1%. Even the GT4 which was comparable in performance and price and a newer car and easier to get than a 991.2 manual didn't put a dent in used 997 prices.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:15 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

i regret selling my 997.2 gt3 everyday...

i am hoping to get into a 997 RS or 991 GT3 in the next few years.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:18 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Not enough supply of 991.2 manuals to go around. Say half the 991.2 manual allocations went to 997 GT3 owners. Then half of those 997 owners decided to dump their 997 instead of add to the stable that still wouldn't be a blip on the market. That's on top of the almost 6 figure price difference between a well optioned 991.2 GT3 and a 997.1 GT3. If you think a 100k price difference isn't a factor you must be in the top 1%. Even the GT4 which was comparable in performance and price and a newer car and easier to get than a 991.2 manual didn't put a dent in used 997 prices.
I find the GT4 argument interesting. (and I agree that GT4s should have had no impact on 997 GT prices) I think that the loyalties between models (911 vs cayman) are very real. I dont think that people who truly want a 911 would see the GT4 as an acceptable replacement. (I could be in the minority here, who knows). The fact remains, it appears that GT prices have softened recently. What has caused this?
Old 06-29-2017, 05:56 PM
bobbyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prices for all collector cars are softening, as interest rates are starting to rise and people with money are seeing other opportunities in lieu of tangible assets like cars. In some ways the recent run up in car values has, IMO, had a lot to do with the Fed and the artificially low rates created to boost asset prices including stocks, cars, etc. This era, like all, is near it's end and is due to correct.

Just my 2 cents, of course, and possibly worth less.

Best.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:20 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Agreed bobby

Quick Reply: Better to sell my 997.1 GT3 this year or next year?