Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Swift spring rubbing stock damper

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 04:45 PM
911jdb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Your problem is the solid red upper mount. Like Tom said, you need a bearing in the upper mount that will allow some movement thus keeping the mount square with the shock throughout its comptession arc. The solid mount is causing the spring to bow slightly as it compresses thus making contact with the shock.
The upper mount has a spherical bearing in it and the adapter is a separate piece which doesn't allow the shock to move about the fulcrum. Eliminating the adapter and installing a Top Hat like what you see on JRZ's, Tractive etc. is what I'd like to do. I just have to make sure the Tarett upper mount is compatible with a Top Hat. Tarett made the adapter to work with there upper mount but in my case its causing damage to the damper.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

If you could measure the ID (Inside Diameter) and the depth of the bearing, then I will let you know if I have metal bushings to fit or if I have to custom machine the metal bushings. The spring hats we make will definitely fit the damper.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:42 PM
911jdb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
If you could measure the ID (Inside Diameter) and the depth of the bearing, then I will let you know if I have metal bushings to fit or if I have to custom machine the metal bushings. The spring hats we make will definitely fit the damper.
The Tarett upper mount has a spherical bearing that is in blue in the hand drawing and has a step in with a ID of 18mm and depth of 9mm. The bearing protrudes from the bottom of the aluminum red upper mount about 2mm.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Thanks for the drawing. The measurements in the drawing is not what I expected to see.

This is how I expected the bearing to look by itself(without the plate)-

For example, this bearing has bore size of 18mm-

This bearing has a depth of just under 23mm-

To keep things simple, this example bearing is referred to as a 18x23mm bearing.

Sorry I am unable to produce bushings to fit "step" bore as the drawing depicts. Maybe you should consider buying the full TPC top mount kit. http://www.tpcracing.com/997-gt2-rear-top-kit.html
Later on if you upgrade your dampers these parts are transferable.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:24 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Look at the red Tarett spring adapter again in your original picture. The top of the adapter is firmly seated against the upper mounts which is bolted to the body of the car. The spring is firmly seated to the bottom of the adapter. No matter how you slice it, the adapter is a solid piece and can in NO way allow the spring to articulate as the shock compresses along its curve which leads to the issue you are dealing with here. There may be a spherical bearing at the center of the upper mount that allows the shock to articulate but NOT the spring. You need both the shock and spring hat to articulate TOGETHER...

Why don't you contact Ira at Tarett and tell him about your issue. He may have a solution for you.

Quick Reply: Swift spring rubbing stock damper