Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 Emissions Readiness Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 Emissions Readiness Problems

I'm wondering if anyone has any proven GT3 specific tips that could help.

I bought my 997.2 CPO last Friday and drove it 700 miles home. I didn't even think about the emissions readiness and took it to get tested (OBD2 only test). Turns out several monitors were not ready. I figure now they had to replace the battery to CPO it, so perhaps that explains why.

I plugged in my OBD2 reader and found some 997 drive cycles online and decided to just commute in the car all week long to get it ready. However, I cannot for the life of me get any of the monitors to go ready. I have 4 that are incomplete.

I've tried the prescribed drive cycle about 4 times now in addition to all sorts of mileage. I'm up almost 1,000 miles from Friday. I've tried this one several times with and without AC on (2:15 cold start idle, 3:15 20-30mph, 15min 40-60mph, complete stop, 5 min idle) some times completely back to back by the book and others having to stop at lights (recording cumulative time) just depends. But never exceeded 3k rpms or 60mph.

Since it is CPO I'm thinking I will just take it to a local dealer if it won't ready by the end of the week but I've done this before and the fact that none of the incomplete sensors have tripped is bothering me. I'm just thinking they are going to go drive it a bunch only to figure out the same as me.

The car does seem louder than I expected with all 3 stock mufflers, so perhaps the cats could've been hollowed out by previous owner? I don't see how otherwise this would be the case.

Any tips on a drive cycle for the GT3 specifically?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:18 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you have a CEL? I would think you'd have that if there was a cat issue.

I would take the car to a Porsche dealer. You paid the premium for CPO, so let them figure it out.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
Do you have a CEL? I would think you'd have that if there was a cat issue.

I would take the car to a Porsche dealer. You paid the premium for CPO, so let them figure it out.

Keep us posted.
Negative, no CEL. That's eventually what I'm going to...just take their loaner and let them wrestle with it.

I did find out the car previously belonged to a user on this forum who had an EVOMS tune. I have no idea if the tune is still on the car or how to know, so now I'm wondering if that could be involved.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:26 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 103 Posts

^ that is a pretty big key I think. I would try to figure out if that tune is still on or not because that might be all of your issues right there. I wonder if there was catless headers on the car at some point and the tune was changed to reflect that but not changed when the stock headers/cats were put back on.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:26 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Negative, no CEL. That's eventually what I'm going to...just take their loaner and let them wrestle with it.

I did find out the car previously belonged to a user on this forum who had an EVOMS tune. I have no idea if the tune is still on the car or how to know, so now I'm wondering if that could be involved.
hmm....seems like more and more is being revealed.

i would for sure confirm that presence. not sure if there is a EVOMS authorized vendor near you that could query the DME for you. that is the route i would go.

if it is present, i would flash back to stock. especially if you taking the car to the porsche dealer local to you, not familar with the car.

i would not give them the grounds to void your CPO warranty based on aftermarket software.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

I reached out to EVOMS to see if they have a record of this VIN with a tune, how to find out if it is still on there, whether I'm entitled to the tune if it has been overwritten etc...

The car it turns out (I didn't make the connection at all before buying) belonged to the user Montoya on this forum. It seems that when he returned the car to stock (https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...rage-sale.html) it had a full Akra exhaust on it with the EVOMS tune. But it looks like it had 100cell cats.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

my manager bought a brand new 2016 911 GTS last year and had car shipped out to Cali. took the dealership over a week with lots of driving and calls to Germany before they could get the car emissions stuff to go to the "ready" state.

the dealership should own getting this sorted out for you and CPO shouldn't go away.
hope it gets worked out soon!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:54 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The EVOMS software requires more driving than the regular drive cycle. My car has the tune and it took a weekend over at Watkins Glen for 4 of 5 monitors to reset.

Just keep driving and I don't think you need to hold yourself below 3k rpms.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:54 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

I have an EVOMS tune on my RS along with headers & 200 cell cats. No issues w. readiness monitors. Last time the battery was disconnected the monitors were set back to ready in short order, I drove the car under 100 miles IIRC. I don't think your tune is the culprit here.

Which monitors show as not ready do you know?
Old 02-01-2017, 06:36 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Annnnnd problem solved (or at least realized):

The car DOES have the EVOMS tune on it. The nice fellas at EVOMS confirmed that the VIN stored in their records was tuned for the full exhaust so some sensors are disabled.

What I'm going to do is mail the ECU to them to have them re-enabled (free, thankfully) and then while they have it, retune for the stock headers ($300).

I did just lift the car up and confirmed it has side bypass pipes straight from the cats to the lower port on the center muffler. Nice little surprise...wondered why it was so loud for "stock".

How this thing went through CPO like this is a mystery...
Old 02-01-2017, 06:53 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

I agree. I thought Porsche CPO would be pretty thorough.

Seems like alot of work/troubleshooting for what I thought would be a turn-key car.

Hopefully, it will be smooth sailing from here on out
Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 103 Posts

Nice find!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:52 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
I did just lift the car up and confirmed it has side bypass pipes straight from the cats to the lower port on the center muffler. Nice little surprise...wondered why it was so loud for "stock"..
Bonus round
Old 02-02-2017, 03:25 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Here's the deal. In ca ALL the oem readiness codes need to be set. Tunes typically disable them. So, make sure it's set totally stock and your cats are factory cats. I'm not sure why they are showing not ready. On a tune they should,simply be disabled and those will never set ready.

Not sure how this passed cpo with a tune and side muffler bypass.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:14 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Champion Porsche is a reputable dealer? I just know that they are pretty large volume.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 Emissions Readiness Problems