Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What is a 2008 GT2 Worth Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by 5980
agreed, silly comment indeed. By that logic this is the worlds largest group of poorly endowed men and women ever to convene on a common cause. Lay off the wise - but tellingly obtuse - cracks folks

Anyway, I stray away from these discussions of yes or no, wet or dry, 2 or 4, 2 or 3, natural or forced, rs or not...yada yada yada. I own a self tuned 997.2 TT manny and a GT2RS and, despite all of the objective differences which exist and about which those who are "informed" tend to pontificate, I believe all the cut and try desktop assessment is no more helpful than playing with numbers. We all do if, but let's refrain from offering sale or purchase advice based on these two dimensional "facts." They are only marginally more helpful than identifying Porsche as the OE, very marginally

The cars drive remarkably differently. Not similar. Not in any way. And the better the driver the more evident the chasm which exists between them. I am nowhere near capable in either car, but my experience screams absolute apples and oranges.

And therefore? Is the car right for someone in particular? This may appear to be a punt, but I genuinely believe I can't offer him or her anything to facilitate the decision. Maybe. Maybe not.
It is unbelievable how differently the various 911 offerings drive, even w/in the 997 model. With the exception of interior layout/feel and obvious exterior look, their differences are vast. I'd say a 997tt and 997gt3 are near opposite ends of the spectrum in the line-up. I'd say 997gt2 more of a hybrid that feels 50%gt3, 25%tts and 25% it's own beast. I've driven a few 997 gt2s and owned a gt2rs. I have tons of respect for them and if someone asks me for advice on a purchase that has the best collectibility/value/performance/experience, 997gt2/rs are always at the top of my list. They aren't my thing; I'm a Gt3/rs guy. But I highly highly recommend the gt2 platform to anyone. That wants to own a truly amazing 911 that represents the best that Porsche has to offer.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
It is unbelievable how differently the various 911 offerings drive, even w/in the 997 model. With the exception of interior layout/feel and obvious exterior look, their differences are vast. I'd say a 997tt and 997gt3 are near opposite ends of the spectrum in the line-up. I'd say 997gt2 more of a hybrid that feels 50%gt3, 25%tts and 25% it's own beast. I've driven a few 997 gt2s and owned a gt2rs. I have tons of respect for them and if someone asks me for advice on a purchase that has the best collectibility/value/performance/experience, 997gt2/rs are always at the top of my list. They aren't my thing; I'm a Gt3/rs guy. But I highly highly recommend the gt2 platform to anyone. That wants to own a truly amazing 911 that represents the best that Porsche has to offer.
I have a chance to buy a low mile GT2 right now, I just dont know how it would add to my garage having both a 997 TT and .2 RS.

My opinion, besides it being only 200 copies in the US, it is good at anything but does not necessarily beat a RS on the track due to lag and being a 2WD, on the road, a TT is the way to go.

If you do want a car that would do most of it, a GT2 maybe a car for you.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:44 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 386 Posts

For what it's worth, today I saw a 997 GT2 with less than 900 miles with an asking price of $250k: https://manhattan.porschedealer.com/...etallic+916132

No affiliation.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:03 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 362 Posts

Amazing....except....sofa seats!
Old 12-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
I have a chance to buy a low mile GT2 right now, I just dont know how it would add to my garage having both a 997 TT and .2 RS.

My opinion, besides it being only 200 copies in the US, it is good at anything but does not necessarily beat a RS on the track due to lag and being a 2WD, on the road, a TT is the way to go.

If you do want a car that would do most of it, a GT2 maybe a car for you.
Nah, the GT2 is faster than the GT3.2RS unless you are on a crazy twisty track may be. I can keep up with better drivers in lesser cars like the .2RS in my GT2

What lag ? There is no lag.... There is just torque torque and more torque
The GT2 is underrated as a track weapon.

On the street it's not fun though. It's to much. I liked my GT3.1RS better on the street, the lack of torque makes it easy and the revs and engine/exhaust noise makes you feel faster than you are.

I say dump the TT, get the GT2 for the track and use the RS as a daily or as a collectible. That RS badge....

A couple of easy mods on the GT2 makes it a 991RS killer as well if you are into it.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

So a GT3 RS is faster on track then a GT2? That´s cute...

Stock GT2 exept for it´s Akrapovic Slip-On exhaust and MPSC II tires. Opponents: 997 GT2 RS, 991 GT3 RS and faaar behind even some 7.2 GT3 RS and 7.2 GT3.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:49 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vince964T
Nah, the GT2 is faster than the GT3.2RS unless you are on a crazy twisty track may be. I can keep up with better drivers in lesser cars like the .2RS in my GT2

What lag ? There is no lag.... There is just torque torque and more torque
The GT2 is underrated as a track weapon.

On the street it's not fun though. It's to much. I liked my GT3.1RS better on the street, the lack of torque makes it easy and the revs and engine/exhaust noise makes you feel faster than you are.

I say dump the TT, get the GT2 for the track and use the RS as a daily or as a collectible. That RS badge....

A couple of easy mods on the GT2 makes it a 991RS killer as well if you are into it.
Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
So a GT3 RS is faster on track then a GT2? That´s cute...

Stock GT2 exept for it´s Akrapovic Slip-On exhaust and MPSC II tires. Opponents: 997 GT2 RS, 991 GT3 RS and faaar behind even some 7.2 GT3 RS and 7.2 GT3.
I dont want to make this a GT2 vs GT3 argument but I never mentioned that a RS is always faster than a GT2. I said "it does not necessarily beat an RS in the track because of the lag."

Let me expound on that, first the sound, some hate to sound of the GT2 or the lack of it. Another is the turns, how many people have been on accidents or almost been into one when they are in a turn, pressed the pedal, a millisecond delay and then boom the torque comes it. In a straight yes, but thats why for less trained track people like me, its easier to use NA instantanously, or you may said the lack of torque, in the turn.

Who is faster, I have turned away from that ghost that a GT2 or a 991 RS is faster on the track. I am too old for that myth that any one car is faster.

I can be as happy on a miata or a 944 on that track like a 918 as long as the combination of speed, handling, braking and engine noise is balanced.

GT2 is fast, in a straight line probably.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:44 PM
ammo_collector
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thxbuff2001, have you ever driven a GT2?
Old 12-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
I dont want to make this a GT2 vs GT3 argument but I never mentioned that a RS is always faster than a GT2. I said "it does not necessarily beat an RS in the track because of the lag."

Let me expound on that, first the sound, some hate to sound of the GT2 or the lack of it. Another is the turns, how many people have been on accidents or almost been into one when they are in a turn, pressed the pedal, a millisecond delay and then boom the torque comes it. In a straight yes, but thats why for less trained track people like me, its easier to use NA instantanously, or you may said the lack of torque, in the turn.

Who is faster, I have turned away from that ghost that a GT2 or a 991 RS is faster on the track. I am too old for that myth that any one car is faster.

I can be as happy on a miata or a 944 on that track like a 918 as long as the combination of speed, handling, braking and engine noise is balanced.

GT2 is fast, in a straight line probably.

It's honestly not at all as bad as I thought it would be regarding grip/power balance. The rear hooks up pretty well. I was expecting the worst regarding throttle modulation and it's not like that. Sure you can't go ham in every corner, it does require practice/confidence may be more than many other cars. But when you know it's limits it's crazy fast out of corners.

It IS fast in a straight line ;-)

There is no lag...
Old 12-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Gt2/RS DO belong on a track. 3/RS more fun on street imo. If anyone thinks gt2 or any other FI engine has NO lag, they are just wrong or in denial. Even the latest "zero-lag" turbos still have some lag compared to on-the-pedal response of an NA. It's not a knock on the gt2 or other turbos, it's just a fact. Some like the kick. Others don't. But it's there. No denying it.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:47 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by ammo_collector
thxbuff2001, have you ever driven a GT2?
Not on the track sir. I would say the interstate if you call that driving. A friend of mine is selling his 08 with 1800 miles on it let me drive it a few hours. I like it, just not sure about adding it. Im still in the thinking stage. I wish I did not have my TT or I would have been convinced to get it. If it was a GT2 RS that would have been a different story.

Last edited by thxbuff2001; 12-30-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:48 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
I'm going to pass, too many irregularities. Thanks everyone, you're the best!
4ocious, look at the debate you started!!! LOL...If you are talking to the dealer offer them $130K on my behalf and I will pick it up...not a Penny more.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Gt2/RS DO belong on a track. 3/RS more fun on street imo. If anyone thinks gt2 or any other FI engine has NO lag, they are just wrong or in denial. Even the latest "zero-lag" turbos still have some lag compared to on-the-pedal response of an NA. It's not a knock on the gt2 or other turbos, it's just a fact. Some like the kick. Others don't. But it's there. No denying it.
I'm pretty sure you don't know what you are talking about.

VTG equipped turbos exhibit zero lag. They have a boost threshold of about 3200-3500rpm where they will not build any boost below that rpm, but above it, boost is instantaneous. Below boost threshold they are as gutless as a GT3RS at that rpm. I don't know about you but I don't drive my sports cars like a diesel pusher.

GT2 has virtually same chassis as GT3RS+approx 70lbs in the engine bay, so using the same tires it will have the same terminal cornering speed as the NA car. And it's got much faster straight line speed as well. If you can drive a GT3RS properly, a GT2 will make big tracks like Road America much more fun. If you can't drive the NA car quickly there's no way you'll hustle the GT2.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:06 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
I'm pretty sure you don't know what you are talking about.

VTG equipped turbos exhibit zero lag. They have a boost threshold of about 3200-3500rpm where they will not build any boost below that rpm, but above it, boost is instantaneous. Below boost threshold they are as gutless as a GT3RS at that rpm. I don't know about you but I don't drive my sports cars like a diesel pusher.

GT2 has virtually same chassis as GT3RS+approx 70lbs in the engine bay, so using the same tires it will have the same terminal cornering speed as the NA car. And it's got much faster straight line speed as well. If you can drive a GT3RS properly, a GT2 will make big tracks like Road America much more fun. If you can't drive the NA car quickly there's no way you'll hustle the GT2.
Listen man, I'm not a turbo hater. You clearly have a gt2 chip on your shoulder and are ignoring facts. I love the gt2 platform and have owned a gt2rs. So, yes I do know what I'm talking about because I owned the vehicle in question. If i tap on the pedal of my 4.0, it lunges instantaneously, regardless what RPM. The gt2/gt2rs has a delay for its max torque to kick in. I don't care what you tell me, the 2rs launched like a rocket AFTER I stomped on the gas, not when. I don't know if it was a millisecond or 2 seconds but it happens. You can tell me the sky is green but it's blue and a turbo is not as instantaneous or linear as an NA. It isn't good or bad; it just is.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:07 AM
Vince964T
Racer

I agree there is a significant difference in power delivery but it's not lag. If I am in gear @ max aggression on track I have no lag on mine.

What I do have is less linearity in a way. There is a significant difference between 80% throttle and 100%, 80% is civilised, 100% is rage mode. It's not easy to trust yourself and the car to hold rage mode under control. You dont have that in the NA 996cup and 997RS I have had the chance to own where power builds up in a linear way.

Quick Reply: What is a 2008 GT2 Worth Today?