Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What is a 2008 GT2 Worth Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 07:37 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Yes...The "9"'s in the VIN are reserved for GT2. Yes, my 6GT2/7GT2/7GT2RS are all identified as "Turbo". I am not sure about the 3GT2, I am guessing those are ZZZ cars.
I looked up the car, it looked good other than the "back seat" area modification. It looks like a custom matress back there for a very short owner!
Interesting, I wasn't aware that the back seat area was modified. I know quite a bit about 07-09 TT's but must admit I don't know too much about GT2's and would have missed that. Does it lower the value?
Old 12-25-2016, 08:19 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Interesting, I wasn't aware that the back seat area was modified. I know quite a bit about 07-09 TT's but must admit I don't know too much about GT2's and would have missed that. Does it lower the value?
4ocious, I briefly looked at the photos. I saw exhaust the tips were changed and the backseat area. The 6GT2 and 7GT2RS have the "GT2" or "RS" nameplate on the backseats area, 7GT2 didn't. On this car, someone had modified that area but then took the plate off, as well as the thing that looks like a cushion with "GT2". They can be reverses, guessing $700? The car also looked highly spec'd with deviating stitching, etc.

There is a lot of goofy subtle things on the GT2 and I have been owning and following them for 14 years.

$165k. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:51 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Thank you Igooz, I would have never known. That's why I really like the board, honest answers and a lot of knowledge. I'll hit them at $155K and see what happens/
Old 12-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure all the yellow stitching is aftermarket.

Sub was moved from parcel shelf to back of cabin.

PCCB rotors look like they are in decent shape.

Steering wheel leather looks very worn for 19k miles.

Good luck. Not sure what this is worth but surely not top dollar.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:16 PM
yoojeankim
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Reid55
I've owned multiple TT's and spent time behind the wheel of 997 GT3's, 997 4.0, 991 RS and many other P-cars. All of these cars are fantastic for their intended purpose and the GT2 is not exception. It is one of the most thrilling cars you can drive. It is a light and nimble rocket ship that strikes a good balance of street vs. track capable - exactly as Porsche intended for the model. Keep in mind that very few have ever actually driven or owned one - so keep that in mind as you read opinions and make your decisions.

As for current prices, advertised prices are all over the board as I'm sure you have seen. I've seen clean examples go well north of 200. The GT2 market is much smaller than the 3 market so they tend to move slower but also bear in mind that there could be other reasons why those $179k cars have not turned.

As for future value, its a GT, it has a nickname, it was the fastest production car ever built by Porsche in 2008 and still in the top group, its a Supercar, its a kick in the pants to drive, its reliable, and most importantly, there are likely less than 200 left in the US. That's all I need to know. :-) Happy Holidays!!
Originally Posted by roketman
I would agree with the above.I own an 08 GT2 .Its a rare bird 1155 made ,189 in the USA. I believe its the most under rated /valued Porsche out there.One of 3 Porsches that has a 200 + top speed.And performance that matches a Carrera GT.It has been said that the GT2 was faster around the ring than the CGT. I personally buy specific cars because I just love a particular car. Not for investment ,but for enjoyment. My GT2 is a joy for all of the above.
Originally Posted by ChrisF
I'm surprised to read the GT2 as being a similar drive to the TT. That was not my impression at all. RWD, different suspension tuning, gt2 buckets make for a drive that to me was much more akin to a super high powered GT3 rather than a TT. Of all the cars that crossed my path, the GT2 is the one I regret not buying. It is one of the most special GT cars I've driven. Just my $.02
Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
I agree. Have both. I can say the GT2 is a special animal. Even compared to my 991 TTS.

You can get half the miles for maybe $15K more. Depends on what you want. I don't see these going down on price, but I did not buy mine for investment even if I only get 1000 miles on it a year.

Its just a blast to drive. I like it better than the GT3. The GT3 is unique in its own way, but the GT2 just rips.

If the car checked out I would go for it at a fair price - $165K grab it and enjoy.

couldn't agree more with all these comments! I had a 997 GT3 and it was an amazing machine. I didn't think anything of the GT2 till i drove one (mine now). I was blown away, what a spectacular car. I feel a lot of people think its the same as their 997TT which is in the same blood line but the GT2 is the swoll lean brother. The rawness, being 300lbs lighter, and RWD just makes it one rollercoaster you'll never forget

i've also noticed OP the line of cars you had and currently have. a lot of TT's in there.. the GT3 for me was a little lackluster in power since i was up in elevation as well. Although very pure/NA/amazing in its own way... i just needed more. for me when i try to explain what the GT2 feels like . GT3 + 997TT = GT2

Last edited by yoojeankim; 12-27-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:26 PM
yoojeankim
Instructor

Originally Posted by grizfish
Anywhere near the $160K-180K range, you are looking at a car that has what, beyond your "regular" TT? The TT has off-the-line acceleration that is addicting. The GT2 has that addiction satisfied with each shift along with GT suspension and a couple of visual enhancements. What else?

You are in the price range of two 997.1 GT3s. If you are looking for an investment that you can drive to C&C once in awhile and make a future profit, maybe you need to think about getting a "regular" GT3 for yourself at the same price.
you obviously haven't driven one.

4ocious, I am guessing $160-$165K. There were 2 for sale in the Chicago-area with a bit more miiles for around $169K-$179K asking and they sat for a long time. One of them is now at another dealer...

If you are just buying to drive, you will find the car too similar to your 7TT and maybe disappointed. Your old modded 7TT would be faster than the 7GT2. (I own a couple of these right now and I had a 7TT for 7 years so I have some first hand knowledge).

If you are just collecting, get a lower mileage car and pay more up front. PM if Q's.

i can agree with this. if you're looking more for a quarter mile/ 1/2 mile shootout beast, keep the AWD TT system but for me the driving experience was a little too tame. I feel like AWD on a lot of sports cars made me feel not as "involved" anymore because it was so damn planted. I know im going against what most people want but i like to know sometimes that it can be a bit "scary". I got a ride in my friends fast TTs and GTRs and even though all were above 800hp+ i didnt feel anything, just felt like a video game. These are all my 2 cents everyone is different. just know all porsches are great! haha
Old 12-28-2016, 07:59 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

The 6GT2 and 7GT2RS have the "GT2" or "RS" nameplate on the backseats area, 7GT2 didn't. On this car, someone had modified that area but then took the plate off, as well as the thing that looks like a cushion with "GT2".
If the car has Bose the Plate is gone as the Subwoofer is installed in that area. If it has standart Stereo, the GT2-Plate is there. I have an 08 Clubsport and it has the Plate. My friends 08 with Bose does not.

In this particular case, the Bose-Subwoofer has been placed one step on top (right under the rear-window). This is not the original location! It should be down where the Alcantara-panel with the Logo is. Not sure why someone would want to change this...

The yellow stitching is definetely not from the Factory! They just routed a yellow thread through the existing stitching. Looks crappy imo.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:20 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

It has Bose. The VIN read-out does not show yellow stitching.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Yea it has it, but the rear Subwoofer has been relocated . It normally sits where the Aftermarket-Alcantara-Panel has been installed.

I also think that it looks very ´used´ for a car with such a low mileage. I think you´ll find a better one if you keep on searching. They are indeed special beasts! I enjoy every second i spend in it so much more then in a GT3!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
If the car has Bose the Plate is gone as the Subwoofer is installed in that area. If it has standart Stereo, the GT2-Plate is there. I have an 08 Clubsport and it has the Plate. My friends 08 with Bose does not....
Hmmm...we couldn't get CS in the US anyhow, and I have never seen a 7GT2 (US) with the "label" plate. My '08 didn't have it and my current '09 doesn't have it (yes both do have the Bose). But my '11GT2RS has Bose and "RS" plate and it is same basic car. So more worthless learning for me.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:35 PM
yoojeankim
Instructor

One thing I did not make obvious was the fact that I have no desire to drive one. I don't need a **** extension.
lol ok calm down there i guess a 918 is an elephant trunk then?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:52 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

One thing I did not make obvious was the fact that I have no desire to drive one. I don't need a **** extension.
Says the guy who drives a loud and silver GT3...

There are other cars around that suit much better as a **** extension.

Whenever you turn up somewhere in a GT2 it gets less attention then a loud and colourful GT3/ GT3 RS for example. Only the real connaisseurs know what that quiet thing is and appreciate it because they're damn rare. Some guys even ask if the GT2 is a price-reduced GT3 because 3 is the bigger number and its widely known to the public

Whenever you get the chance to drive one, just do it. If you don't like it I'm okay with that! But don't judge if you don't know it. Back in the day me and my friend both thought that a GT3 (RS) was the real deal... Until we drove that other one.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to pass, too many irregularities. Thanks everyone, you're the best!
Old 12-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP didn't ask about a GT3. He asked about a GT2. No desire to drive one yet you choose to make a couple of snarky remarks about it and their owners. Quite telling.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
OP didn't ask about a GT3. He asked about a GT2. No desire to drive one yet you choose to make a couple of snarky remarks
about it and their owners. Quite telling.
agreed, silly comment indeed. By that logic this is the worlds largest group of poorly endowed men and women ever to convene on a common cause. Lay off the wise - but tellingly obtuse - cracks folks

Anyway, I stray away from these discussions of yes or no, wet or dry, 2 or 4, 2 or 3, natural or forced, rs or not...yada yada yada. I own a self tuned 997.2 TT manny and a GT2RS and, despite all of the objective differences which exist and about which those who are "informed" tend to pontificate, I believe all the cut and try desktop assessment is no more helpful than playing with numbers. We all do if, but let's refrain from offering sale or purchase advice based on these two dimensional "facts." They are only marginally more helpful than identifying Porsche as the OE, very marginally

The cars drive remarkably differently. Not similar. Not in any way. And the better the driver the more evident the chasm which exists between them. I am nowhere near capable in either car, but my experience screams absolute apples and oranges.

And therefore? Is the car right for someone in particular? This may appear to be a punt, but I genuinely believe I can't offer him or her anything to facilitate the decision. Maybe. Maybe not.

Quick Reply: What is a 2008 GT2 Worth Today?