Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Accelerator Replacement / Sticking Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,082 Posts
Default Accelerator Replacement / Sticking Pedal

So, this was a fun one. On track, gas, brake, back on gas to settle car etc... and well... gas pedal stuck! It was stuck "off". Smack it with my foot and all is well again.

Pull into paddock and assembly seems a little loose, and I can pull up on it and it 'pops up'. The spring mechanism works fine. I drove the rest of the day w/o issues.

I think what happened is I braked, heel toe and something happened where caught edge of pedal and popped it up.

Replacement pedal ordered. It's like 2 part revisions later so who knows what's better now.

Anyone else have this? I know mooty has broken a bunch of gas pedals :-)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:21 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scary. Let us know how the replacement part is. Another option: Rennlines are 15% off right now.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:03 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 110 Posts

It's the ball and socket in there - I broke one on Boxster - freshen the whole unit
Old 12-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chardonet
Scary. Let us know how the replacement part is. Another option: Rennlines are 15% off right now.
This is an assembly issue. I have rennline covers already.

Originally Posted by audipwr1
It's the ball and socket in there - I broke one on Boxster - freshen the whole unit
That's what I thought. I haven't pulled it yet. But figured there is somesort of socket that's worn.

New pedal assembly ordered already. $250 feels like a gift for a Porsche part lol
Old 12-04-2016, 10:00 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

maybe some sort of small rock or debris got jammed in there?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Replaced pedal yesterday.

There is a stop that keeps pedal from full pulling back that had sheared off. I'll post a pic later. New pedal seems same honestly, although later part number. Not sure what's been revised.

Tips:

1. there is 1 screw holding it in, a #3 philips located top left. Once that is removed, pull the top of the assembly up a bit, then push the pedal assembly UP and it will unlatch the lower clip. Install is reverse. This part was easy.

2. The fking plug is a HUGE pain in the ***. There is a clip holding the wires to the classes, just pull up on that to give some more room. There is a grey button on back of plug, push that in/down, but then stick a small poker tool (you know those orange handle ones from harbor freight that are $2!) on the opposite side under the black latch to unhook the latch. Look at the new part for comparison. Plug pulls up. Install is easy, just clicks/snaps on. Remember to reinstall the wire holder on the chassis.

I couldn't for the life of me get the thing to move w/o resorting to this. I'm sure there is a way, I couldn't figure it out and have a cut on one finger and a mashed knuckle on the other to show for it.

Anyway, all is well again.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:15 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,073 Posts

My throttle pedal was always a bit sticky. This past summer I installed the Rev.2 Rennline fully adjustable throttle pedal and I must say it makes a world of difference. Gone is the flimsy flexible hinge of the OEM pedal. It's rock solid and absolutely smooth. I couldn't be happier.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JBvLgJ]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JDJgLt]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HQm4v5]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HQm4Qd]
Old 12-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Your car is a 996 right? So it has a cable?

The 997 is egas, so just a plug. I was looking at the rennline pedal (their stuff is nice, have bunch of it) for these cars and you basically have to remove the pedal top and the hinge, but the part that actually failed on mine is still part of the assembly you have to transfer to the rennline part. This is the little cam and stop that connect to the pedal. The hinges on these do fail, but my hinge was fine. i do agree the stock pedal is a bit floppy, the new one is pretty solid though.

Its hard to tell from the pictures and install instructions, would like to see their part up close...

I do have rennline covers/extensions on my pedals, been happy with those.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:34 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Your car is a 996 right? So it has a cable?

The 997 is egas, so just a plug. I was looking at the rennline pedal for these cars and you basically have to remove the pedal top and the hinge, but the part that actually failed on mine is still part of the assembly you have to transfer to the rennline part. This is the little cam and stop that connect to the pedal. The hinges on these do fail, but my hinge was fine. i do agree the stock pedal is a bit floppy, the new one is pretty solid though.

Its hard to tell from the pictures and install instructions, would like to see their part up close...

I do have rennline covers/extensions on my pedals, been happy with those.
i didnt realize the pedals were different between the 6 and 7. The 996 is Egas also but there is a 12" cable off the pedal assembly that runs to the egas potentiometer. The plastic hinge is the flimsy part of the 996 pedal. On the 996 cup cars, the PMNA basically chops the plastic hinge off the stock pedal and screws on a metal hinge.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
i didnt realize the pedals were different between the 6 and 7. The 996 is Egas also but there is a 12" cable off the pedal assembly that runs to the egas potentiometer. The plastic hinge is the flimsy part of the 996 pedal. On the 996 cup cars, the PMNA basically chops the plastic hinge off the stock pedal and screws on a metal hinge.
ok got it. on the 997 the potentiometer is built into the pedal assembly. So the only connections on the pedal are a single screw and a plug. Not cables.

i think the hinge assembly is similar on the 996/7.

Correction. The part that broke on my pedal is replaced by the full rennline assembly.

If anyone wants my old pedal to use the electronics and base for the rennline pedal you can have it free just pay shipping.

Where my finger is pointing is the broken part. The bottom part of assembly is fine.

Last edited by Spyerx; 12-11-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:25 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Is the 997 cup throttle pedal retrofittable?
Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a hard time blipping the gas pedal with light to mid brake application. I think it's the higher disparate heights between the brake pedal vs the gas. Will rennline covers add noticeable height?
Old 12-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Is the 997 cup throttle pedal retrofittable?
Unsure.

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
I have a hard time blipping the gas pedal with light to mid brake application. I think it's the higher disparate heights between the brake pedal vs the gas. Will rennline covers add noticeable height?
Well, heel toe really only works 'best' on track when you're deep in the brakes. The extension adds a bit of width and height. Easy to try. does require drilling 3 small holes to screw the covers on the gas pedal.

I use them, they do help for me.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:29 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Well, heel toe really only works 'best' on track when you're deep in the brakes. The extension adds a bit of width and height. Easy to try. does require drilling 3 small holes to screw the covers on the gas pedal.
I use them, they do help for me.
Good to know. I'll try them but as Spyrex said, heel and toe works when deep on brakes.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

powerhound, that is stout.
i tend to break them OFTEN.
spyerX, you should just get rid of the car athat's attached to the pedal. get a real car like powerhounds 996. and you know there's one in your neighborhood for sale ;'-)

Quick Reply: Accelerator Replacement / Sticking Pedal