Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Fitting Recaro SPG XL's down low and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 05:41 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Fitting Recaro SPG XL's down low and other questions

x-post from just across the street. Looking to get a plan of action together as quickly as possible, so casting a wider net. I assume 997GT fitments have the same issues.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...questions.html

Cheers

Matt
Old 11-19-2016, 05:07 AM
cunno
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same set up in my 997, and yes getting the driving position correct was impossible even after modification. In the end switched to a GMG seat base mount. With a little modification to side mount I.e. Extra set of holes to position seat base as low as possible and I now have a seat on runners which is less than 10mm higher that a direct fix seat. Very happy.

https://www.gmgracing.com/store/2007...6-997-991.html
Old 11-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for sharing - actually, someone mentioned that option earlier in the 996 GT3 area and I had discounted it because I was mentally ditching my sliders altogether. Only now I am realizing that the 9044 BK part looks like a non-starter.

May I ask, did you install with the XL version of the SPG? Reason I ask as GMG lists compatibility with all widths of Sparco, plus the SPG (but they don't mention SPG XL). Maybe an oversight?

Thanks again.

Best,

Matt
Old 11-20-2016, 04:55 AM
cunno
Advanced

Yes they are, but check with GMG I had issues with the side mounts they supplied not lining up with the seat captured nuts and ended up using some BK ones I already had. GMG did send replacements but I never tried them.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:37 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cunno
I had the same set up in my 997, and yes getting the driving position correct was impossible even after modification. In the end switched to a GMG seat base mount. [/url]
Can you explain what the problem was with the standard mounting options for getting the driving position correct? How does the GMG seat base solve the problems?

Just asking since the GMG is a fair bit more money.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:47 AM
cunno
Advanced

The original OP was looking at using a BK-9044 floor mount kit because he wanted to sit lower in the car. This kit is direct fix to floor of the car with no sliders and therefore has limited positions you can set seat to pedal distance, and I personally could never get my seating position correct with kit kit. The GMG and BBI also do a version kit allows you to mount the seat lower than standard while maintaining the runners so seat position can be fine tuned and I recon my drive seat is about the 50mm lower than passenger seat which is mounted on standard runners.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:00 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I fit spg xl in my 07 Gt3 no problem. Used gmg base, recaros sliders and side mounts. I didn't modify anything bolt in affair

Quick Reply: Fitting Recaro SPG XL's down low and other questions