Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Proud first time Porsche owner: 997.2 GT3, Guards Red.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Mitzimoto
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DYSL
In response to the LW headlight option, I have the same option on my GT3, and tried to retrofit the xenon housing to the car. I even had GMG do some ECU changes and the ECU still wouldn't detect the bulbs. Turns out the connector to the housing on a halogen car is a different DIN connector vs a xenon car. So that being said you have an option to do a xenon conversion on your halogen housings but that involves drilling a hole to run the ballast.

I personally opted to simply upgrade my halogen bulbs to the Phillips Extreme Vision 130+. Those gave me the closest to a xenon brightness without having to do much besides change the bulbs. I am happy with the results.

After much frustration I later understood why some of the GT3's were spec'd with the LW Headlights. Turns out that a color match option was not available for the headlight washers on the xenon cars at that time. They all came with chrome headlight washers, aka "chrome nipples". So discerning owners who got to spec their cars, ordered them with the LW headlight OPTION. Hope this helps!
Yikes, retrofiting sounds like a much bigger hassle than I imagined. Thanks for the information. I will look into those bulbs though.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Mr.Anderson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome and Congratulations! These are amazing road cars. Mine has clocked 37K and counting. This is my 15th P-Car and by far my Favorite. I try to drive it every-time its sunny. Congrats.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:28 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You can easily pick up the Philips Xtreme vision anywhere. The Xtreme Vison 130+ is a Japan spec'd bulb and I found mine on eBay. The 130+ has a slight blue tint to them, and are whiter than the standard xtreme vision.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice Mitzimoto!

I'm hoping to join the Porsche family soon....just as soon as I fin my perfect 997.2 GT3
Old 11-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Tommyr
2nd Gear

Default Your car - my car

Enjoy my car buddy. I traded it in for a 2015. I'm glad the guys at Long Island sports cars took care of you. You need to put the other wheels on !! They are killer and make the car look like no other. If you want me to send you some pics let me know. Here is my email.

Abassman68@aol.com

The car is perfect. Had it for 4 years . Your gonna love it .

Tommy from long island
Old 11-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

↑↑↑ Small world huh?

Looks super clean...congratulations!
Old 11-25-2016, 01:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I love red GT3s

Very interesting about the light weight headlight option. Although I'm not sure I buy the story about the chrome vs color headlight washer nipples. I had an orange '07 turbo which came with color washers.

I would buy a retrofit HID kit, the ballasts are so small these days, they fit inside the housings. A popular mod on 993s, so it should work just fine on a 997.

Enjoy the car, they are awesome!
Old 11-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Tommyr
2nd Gear

I put some pics up in the gallery so you can see the other wheels.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:57 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great choice in the gt3. Also love your choice in the Fcar. Be interesting to hear your comparisons.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:09 PM
Mitzimoto
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tommyr
I put some pics up in the gallery so you can see the other wheels.
The other wheels were on it when it was listed for sale but I had them switch over to the factory wheels, I just like them better. The other wheels are sitting in the garage for now, unsure what I want to do with them.

Loving the car so far though, thanks for keeping it pristine!

Originally Posted by bronson7
Great choice in the gt3. Also love your choice in the Fcar. Be interesting to hear your comparisons.
I'm honestly surprised just how different they are. It's almost hard to compare. The 911 is so much easier to drive on a daily basis. It's more like a "regular" car than the F430. And there is simply no comparison between having three peddles instead of two. It really keeps you engaged at all times. It's like if I was going either grocery shopping or canyon carving, I'd definitely choose the 911. But for the in-betweens, like a casual weekend cruise I'd pick the Ferrari.

The F430 is also great. It might sound like some kind of Top Gear cliche, but the Ferrari just more...theatrical...than the 911. No matter what you do in it it sounds and feels like it's putting on a performance. It has a way of making you feel special at all times.

I love them both and hope I don't have to get rid of either one of them anytime soon.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:21 PM
jacksojf
Instructor

Default GT3 and Exhaust

Beautiful in red; Congrats!
I think you have either an aftermarket exhaust or at least aftermarket tips. AFAIK factory exhaust tips were dual tips in flat black; attached with bolts at the center of the center muffler, so not much room to adjust. I see the previous owner apparently posted above, so check with him re the system installed. If you want something a bit different, check out the 3" tips from Sharkworks...aggressive looking, but not too different from stock.
In any case, enjoy.
Jeff
Old 12-13-2016, 12:58 AM
coffeeycups
Advanced

congrats on the pick up!
Old 12-13-2016, 09:53 AM
rave426
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet! I'm over "new" cars. Gimmie back my GT3 lol
Old 12-13-2016, 05:49 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

WOW, very nice. Car looks very clean and perfect in so many way. Oh, and I love the color as well

Quick Reply: Proud first time Porsche owner: 997.2 GT3, Guards Red.