Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 - One Take - The Smoking Tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 03:41 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

A one man show is great but based on what I saw his heart just isn't in it. And it doesn't have to be quantity over quality. Starting with the opening scene of somebody bouncing a camera around the car... I get it, you don't have the latest techMology to smooth it out but some smart post production editing can really take care of these things.

Look at this video I just watched:
I believe it was shot with a prosumer DSLR but the editing makes it look very, very good and it tells the story!

What I'm saying is that a general game plan and a couple of hours of prep work would've gone a long way toward making the GT3 video both informative and entertaining.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Monetizing youtube and video is about eyeballs. Period end of story. And he gets a lot of them.
Good chance many here aren't his target audience anyway :-)
Hell many of us just paid $250 for Pete Stout's 4 magazines lol.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:03 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Monetizing youtube and video is about eyeballs. Period end of story. And he gets a lot of them.
Good chance many here aren't his target audience anyway :-)
Hell many of us just paid $250 for Pete Stout's 4 magazines lol.
Counterpoint...his work is so basic that if anyone came in and put any production value into a similar format, he'd be toast. I'll certainly check in while he keeps churning them out because it's fun to see the different rides (and he does have a discerning eye when it comes to picking interesting cars) but sitting on your laurels is a big risk IMO.
Can't a man wish for better content?!
Old 10-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Counterpoint...his work is so basic that if anyone came in and put any production value into a similar format, he'd be toast. I'll certainly check in while he keeps churning them out because it's fun to see the different rides (and he does have a discerning eye when it comes to picking interesting cars) but sitting on your laurels is a big risk IMO.
Can't a man wish for better content?!
I don't disagree :-)

I actually view it the same way. I don't 'seek' it out in the same way i seek out a petrolicous or chris harris video... its sort of, bored, lets see what matt farah has lined up. he also drives a lot of cars I know (socal thing) so that's always fun to see.

Maybe i'll see if he wants to drive my gt3 as a counterpoint to the 'stock' car. and hell yes, it's worse on the street :-)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:40 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
A one man show is great but based on what I saw his heart just isn't in it. And it doesn't have to be quantity over quality. Starting with the opening scene of somebody bouncing a camera around the car... I get it, you don't have the latest techMology to smooth it out but some smart post production editing can really take care of these things.

Look at this video I just watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdxzSlJum0 I believe it was shot with a prosumer DSLR but the editing makes it look very, very good and it tells the story!

What I'm saying is that a general game plan and a couple of hours of prep work would've gone a long way toward making the GT3 video both informative and entertaining.

Pure truth at 2:06 from MAR...and the body language in the pull back is highlarious. LOL!!!
Old 10-19-2016, 10:13 PM
zaccdre
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The owner is in fact on Rennlist...

Hopefully this video didn't leave everyone with the feeling that my diet is made up entirely of saltine crackers and plain gum. My apologies if I did underwhelming job representing my car and the reasons why I bought it, I assumed it was best just to let Matt do most of the talking since he's the reason to watch these videos in the first place.

I figured that those who own a GT3 already know what's up and don't need to hear what the kid in the purple shirt on YouTube has to say about his, and those that don't own one will want to hear Matt's opinion over mine, so best not to add fodder for the cesspool of YouTube comments.. Looks like this made for a GT3 video that's best suited to put viewers in the mood for a nap, but my stance is it's generally better to remain the generic white guy on the internet for 10-minutes than the alternative.

not a weird spec. just someone wanted 'race car' so they threw a roll bar in the back.
see lots of these at the shop.

owner if you're on her you are now obligated to get sucked into the abyss of tracking a gt3. there are a few out there. bought to enjoy it. well do it properly.
Just took it to Sonoma yesterday, I'll do my best to not let you down!

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
If you are scared by reading an online posting, "kinda an oddly spec'd car", maybe one needs thicker skin.

Guy was admittedly not a track/motorsports guy, agreed with the driver about difficulty finding an used car to exact wants, but has sofas with a cage. It was just alittle bit of a head scratcher to me.

To each their own I suppose.

Haha, yeah I guess might seem like a bit of an odd-spec but it's just about what I wanted. The plan was to use it for everything, around town, the track, roadtrips, etc., so the extra adjustability and functionality to warm my butt are much preferred for me!

I actually bought the car with the cage already in it. It wasn't necessarily on the checklist but just about everything else I was looking for was. It was priced reasonably and CPO'd at the Porsche dealer, so it just worked out.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:01 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by zaccdre

Hopefully this video didn't leave everyone with the feeling that my diet is made up entirely of saltine crackers and plain gum. My apologies if I did underwhelming job representing my car and the reasons why I bought it, I assumed it was best just to let Matt do most of the talking since he's the reason to watch these videos in the first place.

I figured that those who own a GT3 already know what's up and don't need to hear what the kid in the purple shirt on YouTube has to say about his, and those that don't own one will want to hear Matt's opinion over mine, so best not to add fodder for the cesspool of YouTube comments.. Looks like this made for a GT3 video that's best suited to put viewers in the mood for a nap, but my stance is it's generally better to remain the generic white guy on the internet for 10-minutes than the alternative.

Just took it to Sonoma yesterday, I'll do my best to not let you down!

Haha, yeah I guess might seem like a bit of an odd-spec but it's just about what I wanted. The plan was to use it for everything, around town, the track, roadtrips, etc., so the extra adjustability and functionality to warm my butt are much preferred for me!

I actually bought the car with the cage already in it. It wasn't necessarily on the checklist but just about everything else I was looking for was. It was priced reasonably and CPO'd at the Porsche dealer, so it just worked out.
Thanks for chiming in. I'd be in the same boat about keeping my mouth shut and hope you didn't think my comments about his series was a jab at the owners. Far from it.

Does he prep you ahead of time on what he's looking to achieve in making the film or am I overthinking this and he shakes your hand and says "okay let's go"?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:07 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Based on me seeeing him film a couple times... it's adlib. Improv. Just go.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:03 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

and i've bad news for you, you'll still fail sound at laguna w/o lifting
yes you can... with the famous pse vacuum solenoid nipple!!!!!

Originally Posted by The Greek
Side Note: I cannot stand Matt Farrah. The worst....
farah is lowest common denominator... nice enough guy it seems, but his material is extremely average, so lazy with thoughts and insights, even facts wrong (7.2 gt3 is NOT a wide body; 40 hp loss on pdk is just stupid...)... he is joe-sausage-maker turning the crank

Originally Posted by ilko
Not the most exciting video out there... I stopped it after a few minutes. Farrah needs to show up better prepared with the facts and have some talking points to go over with the owner of the car prior to the drive. The back and forth conversation just wasn't worth listening to. And the car needs to be better prepared too. The smudge on the windshield is just ridiculous. Missed opportunities all around.
agree... this is a lesson in how to take one of the most exciting sports cars ever made and make a video about it soooo boring.... he is right... chris harris is in another league altogether
Old 10-20-2016, 10:06 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

There is a really old video by Larry Kosilla aka AMMO NYC from years ago where him and Farrah were organizing some kind of car event, in which Farrah turned up hours late to a meeting because he slept in. It came across as incredibly lazy and this shows through in his one take productions. Having said that, I at least start watching 50% of them but usually switch off half way through after boredom sets in. The guy has over 600K YouTube subscribers so he must be doing something right, right? Seems like a friendly guy who loves cars and likes to involve the every day car enthusiast, so can't really fault that.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:39 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

A car with sofas and cage means he likes to track it and be comfortable doing it. The cage is not just to put a harness but also to put rigidity in the frame.

I dont blame him.

I would say, the owner of this car has seen the track, now has been busy due to work and just tracks occasionally, has a bad back and knows what he wants. Typically "Porsche track guy?" buckets with harness but goes to driving events once a year. Fits the script but knows zero about tracking.

He probably would be zooming around all of us in the track and care less about our input. Thats my kind of guy. Or maybe he just goes to the C&C every month? :>
Old 10-20-2016, 01:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
A car with sofas and cage means he likes to track it and be comfortable doing it. The cage is not just to put a harness but also to put rigidity in the frame.

I dont blame him.

I would say, the owner of this car has seen the track, now has been busy due to work and just tracks occasionally, has a bad back and knows what he wants. Typically "Porsche track guy?" buckets with harness but goes to driving events once a year. Fits the script but knows zero about tracking.

He probably would be zooming around all of us in the track and care less about our input. Thats my kind of guy. Or maybe he just goes to the C&C every month? :>
Perhaps you've missed every post in between the first and yours,where the owner actually chimed in and answered most of the questions...?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:11 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

(Sorry, somewhat off-topic...) I must say, Matt does a much better job with this video:

Originally Posted by zaccdre

+1 Winner! Use it as much as you can.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 - One Take - The Smoking Tire