5W-50 on sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 01:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,401 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Hey Lex,
Did you have your latest Blackstone report you referenced would be posted? Would love to see it (link to post will do).
Cheers!
Oh, yeah, I'll try to post it today. Was excellent. Slight reduction in iron, big drop (in already low) in numbers for copper and aluminum. Shear viscosities were outstanding. This was after 5,000 miles.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:00 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 315 Posts

Because I was out of the country, combined with summer rain and suspension repair, I drove the car relatively little last year, but did the oil change anyway after about 12 months as recommended-and actually less than 5000 mile interval-what are the thoughts on that? The oil was cheap so I went ahead and did it-but are others letting it go past 12 months in these conditions?

I've always followed the manual, driving the car and bringing it up to temperature and avoiding short trips around the block which keep the oil from reaching full operating temperature-and it's certainly not good to let the car sit-when it did last year, the gas tank was full as recommended, battery tender. Owners up north that store their cars during the winter have a lot more to deal with. Anyway, I think I'll continue the 5k intervals, and 12 months do fly by, that's for sure
Old 09-09-2016, 04:07 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,401 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Anyway, I think I'll continue the 5k intervals, and 12 months do fly by, that's for sure
Smart, and you did the right thing.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:20 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Sale still rolling... $5.79/qt

Try this link: https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p...075/MOR122075#
Old 09-12-2016, 05:39 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

^^^ Just changed the store location on that link and stocked up.
Thanks!
Old 09-13-2016, 02:51 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Even regular/non-performance cars recommend at least once per year Oil change interval.

Can anyone comment if in fact the new high tech full synthetic oil in fact breaks down and becomes less protective enough after a year that it really warrants a change if you dont drive 5000 miles per year. I realize many (probably non GT owners) dont drive their Porches long enough to heat up the oil so this could be a major issue for the engine with older oil in it.

I have heard oil company representatives at Porche club meetings and tech events and know what they recommend, but just asking if any engineer/racer/mechanic types here feel the same.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:12 PM
caslca
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tgil
Even regular/non-performance cars recommend at least once per year Oil change interval.

Can anyone comment if in fact the new high tech full synthetic oil in fact breaks down and becomes less protective enough after a year that it really warrants a change if you dont drive 5000 miles per year. I realize many (probably non GT owners) dont drive their Porches long enough to heat up the oil so this could be a major issue for the engine with older oil in it.

I have heard oil company representatives at Porche club meetings and tech events and know what they recommend, but just asking if any engineer/racer/mechanic types here feel the same.
I also never quite understood the time component in oil life. If it is imperative to replace the oil within a year regardless of use, what does that say about the oil shelf life? Does that mean that my stock of 5w50s I just acquired will be rendered useless in a year? This obviously can't be the answer and so I'm questioning the 1yr oil replacement guideline as well.
Perhaps a chemist can shed some light here since I think the logical explanation would be that once the oil starts being used, the fuel additives start breaking it down which starts the 1yr clock.

Quick Reply: 5W-50 on sale