Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Removing bumperettes fill in gap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 12:03 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing bumperettes fill in gap?

Excluding the purchase of a Euro bumper(I'm not looking to spend 3k+ just to get rid of the bumperettes), has anyone made an alternative of covering the hole cut outs for the bumperettes ? I.e. a cover plate for that area ? Would like to know before i hit Solid works and 3D printing. Would save me loads of time. TIA
Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Go euro, did on my previous GT3 and enjoyed the expenditure after the fact. I am sure not everyone cares for it, but seemed to fit nicely with the rear end of the car in terms of aesthetics.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2016, 12:20 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Go euro, did on my previous GT3 and enjoyed the expenditure after the fact. I am sure not everyone cares for it, but seemed to fit nicely with the rear end of the car in terms of aesthetics.
Thank you-- yup i definitely like the look hence the question. That said looking to spend a fraction of rear bumper. Then when i try the sell the car- would love to avoid tire kickers BS of "car in accident, not oem bumper".
Old 07-26-2016, 01:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,625 Likes on 2,310 Posts

just LEAVE IT ALONE.
when you think of modding again enrique, must save up and get RS ;-)
Old 07-26-2016, 03:00 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's what I did. Fiberglass plate from McMaster-Carr, made a cardboard template, cut with jigsaw, sanded to fit, then paint. It is bolted to the bumper, so it moves with it.

The rivets for the USA bumper extensions had to be drilled out to remove these parts. They sit just under the bumperettes.

I think it looks dramatically better, and cost roughly $25 and about 4 hours of my time. Also, everything is reversable, and the holes I put in the bumper will sit uner the bumperettes if I ever need to put them back on.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2016, 03:06 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i kinda like the bumperettes....part of the "old school" look of the 911s dating way way back.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by r6elmo
i kinda like the bumperettes....part of the "old school" look of the 911s dating way way back.
they help when parallel parking too.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:16 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Protocav
Here's what I did. Fiberglass plate from McMaster-Carr, made a cardboard template, cut with jigsaw, sanded to fit, then paint. It is bolted to the bumper, so it moves with it.

The rivets for the USA bumper extensions had to be drilled out to remove these parts. They sit just under the bumperettes.

I think it looks dramatically better, and cost roughly $25 and about 4 hours of my time. Also, everything is reversable, and the holes I put in the bumper will sit uner the bumperettes if I ever need to put them back on.
Exactly what i had in mind, however i would get it painted body color. We think alike!
All designed up to print out and mock up. I have a feeling i need to redo the lower edges however another 1 hour on cad and we're good to go for printing.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2016, 03:19 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
just LEAVE IT ALONE.
when you think of modding again enrique, must save up and get RS ;-)
I'm hoping to see Mango Sunday for lunch at your house....Is it okay if i get their earlier then wifes programmed so we can for a drive ?
RS is out of the question now with new little one. Unless i get a raise ....
Old 07-26-2016, 04:14 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Can you please attach your file to this thread once completed?
Old 07-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Exactly what i had in mind, however i would get it painted body color. We think alike!
All designed up to print out and mock up. I have a feeling i need to redo the lower edges however another 1 hour on cad and we're good to go for printing.
That's awesome. I play with SW all day long, but without a CMM to asist I felt that the good old fashioned template method suited this the best too. My car is never near my plotter, so it would have been way more iterative.

Another thing to consider is that the bumper has stiffening ribs molded into it under the license plate holder, so the design that you have shown won't sit flat against the bumper. you will need to provide some cutouts. You'll see once you get everything apart.

Post your results when you're done!
Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Can you please attach your file to this thread once completed?
I'll post results when done.
Originally Posted by Protocav
That's awesome. I play with SW all day long, but without a CMM to asist I felt that the good old fashioned template method suited this the best too. My car is never near my plotter, so it would have been way more iterative.

Another thing to consider is that the bumper has stiffening ribs molded into it under the license plate holder, so the design that you have shown won't sit flat against the bumper. you will need to provide some cutouts. You'll see once you get everything apart.

Post your results when you're done!
Yup. For best fit i will need w/ 3D scanning which i'm thinking of going that route. Since the bumper does have curvature i can do a 3d print with curvature or.....
Will definitely post results.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:20 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Update:
The weight of the beam with bumperettes: 5,660 grams
The weight of the beam without bumperettes: 4,650 grams
Pair of bumperettes: 1,010 grams.

Removing the bumperettes is a 15-25 minute job. Just drill the head of the old rivets, and off they come. If ever need to be reinstalled- just rivet back on.
Attached Images       
Old 07-27-2016, 03:34 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

More fun facts, the US rear bumper weighs 14 lbs while the Euro rear bumper weighs 11 lbs.

Here is a comparison of the US aluminum brace to the Euro version. Notice how the Euro version has cut outs on the back side.
Name:  photo431.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  244.8 KB

The US aluminum brace weighed 16 lbs and the Euro version weighed 8 lbs.

I prefer no bumperettes as well
Name:  photo99.jpg
Views: 2348
Size:  263.2 KB
Old 07-27-2016, 08:08 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

bmwtye,

Are those Mikymu's numbers ? I had my rear bar proceed through ncp, i was going to get it type 3 anodize however i decided against it to keep it oem look.
Their was a lot of gunk. final weight came at 4227 grams, which equates to 9.3 lbs for my rear bumper bar. I believe the 16lbs is on the high side regardless. I' have all the stuff needed for 3d scanning on the lift come Friday.

Looking into material that will best fit oem finish and already told local painter to expect my job soon. He is awesome. I believe he is also mooty approved.

Quick Reply: Removing bumperettes fill in gap?