Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016 | 01:59 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Best shifter upgrade value for the 997 GT3

The SHIFT-RIGHT Solution is back in stock!

Combine with the a Trans Mount Insert and a Classic Shift **** for ultimate shifter feel and precision.

We also just rolled out the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution CORE EXCHANGE program for the OEM 986/996/987/997 shifters! Please click here for full details.

Feel free to reach out with any questions. Thanks, Rennlist!

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.

Last edited by Function-First; 06-16-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2016 | 05:17 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Just installed this yesterday on my 997.1 GT3 (with existing cup-cables) and had a testdrive today. Works very well, very precise and solid construction. Happy with the mod.
Old 05-16-2016 | 01:50 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by runet
Just installed this yesterday on my 997.1 GT3 (with existing cup-cables) and had a testdrive today. Works very well, very precise and solid construction. Happy with the mod.

Awesome, thanks for the review!

Very glad to have been able to enhance an already stellar machine!
Old 05-24-2016 | 03:27 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So since posting this, I've been getting a lot of questions via PM and email about the kit - what it does, how it does it, how good it is etc. So I've compiled a little FAQ to help answer those questions...

SHIFT-RIGHT Solution - FAQ

Q: Is this the best shifter upgrade value for my Porsche?
A: YES! No other shifter upgrade on the market matches the performance and durability of the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution for under $300. You will completely transform your shifter’s feel and accuracy, resulting in fewer missed shifts, smoother and more direct operation, and zero flex or play from the shifter.

Q: Is the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution a short shift kit?
A: No, the kit utilizes your original shift lever, so the shift throw remains unchanged.

Q: I like the kit, but I’m a little intimidated about installing it myself. What can you do for me?
A: We just rolled out a core-exchange program for 986/996 and 987/997 standard throw shifters! For an additional fee, you’ll receive an OEM shifter with the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution pre-installed that makes install plug and play – just send back your original shifter within 2 weeks of receipt to receive your core deposit refund. And best of all, a return shipping label is included to make the process that much easier! (USA customers only)

Q: What have other owners been saying about the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution?
A: Here are some owner reviews, in their own words…

CS-ICEMAN:
I took mine to COTA a couple weekends ago. Worked wonders. No trouble finding the gears. Yes, downshifting to 2nd was easy. No longer a concern about a misshift. I did not have to think about shifting. My hands were moving faster than my feet. I was shifting as fast as I could press the clutch.

intubator:
I have to say it made a significant difference in positive gear selection and smoothness in shifting between gears over what I had. In fact, I didn't realize the degree of drag I had become used to until I installed this kit with the roller bearings. The F1st bearing yoke is much better than the cheap plastic factory part and adds significantly to the smoothness and accuracy in the left/right gear selection movements, looks better too... I don't have the console on my car so everything is visible along the tunnel. I have been very happy with this upgrade and have done several track days with a greater degree of confidence while shifting between gears. I couldn't be happier.

husker boxster:
I'm happy to report the 5-4-3-2 downshift for T12 at COTA went very well. Happy with the solid feel and lack of sloppiness.

BillZ260:
Highly recommend, whether you have a stock shifter or a short shift kit, it removed all the slop in the pivots and transfer mechanisms. I think it actually helps the 2-3 shift smoothness as well where it used to hang up if you tried to force it too quickly before, maybe since there is ZERO play now, it's just straight shooting. Very satisfied.

eracer:
Just vouching for the product. I installed the Function First "Shift-Right Solution" Ball bearing kit in my 996T and was impressed with the product. It was installed in conjunction with the factory short shifter replacing the plastic bearings. The 'play'/'slop' in the shifter was reduced drastically and the shifting feels more tactile and precise. No more accidental shifting into the other gears. I'd definitely recommend this product to upgrade the driving experience. (Porsche should have designed it this way to begin with.)

Last edited by Function-First; 06-16-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2016 | 01:28 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The 987/997 retrofit kits are in stock!
There's only 1 987/997 core unit in stock as of right now, and it's ready to ship!
Last day for FREE SHIPPING!

Here are some before and after comparisons of the shifter mechanism, pre and post SHIFT-RIGHT Solution installation!

(Note that the BEFORE video is the stock shifter out of a 2001 986 Boxster S, and the AFTER videos are of a SHIFT-RIGHT retrofit kit upgraded factory 987/997 short shift kit. It's still an apples-to-apples comparison, since both units utilize the same bushings from the factory.)

BEFORE...
Excessive shifter play and slop, particularly in the fore/aft bushings.

AFTER...
Zero flex and zero play in the mechanism yields smooth, solid, predictable, and consistent shifter action.

Last edited by Function-First; 05-31-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2016 | 07:24 PM
Bluprint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is required for installation?
Old 06-06-2016 | 11:40 AM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by lowflying
Good stuff, have it and it is awesome, cheers.
Thanks for posting your results!

Originally Posted by Bluprint
what is required for installation?
You can find the installation instructions at the bottom of the product page:
http://www.function-first.com/produc...right-solution

The CORE EXCHANGE 997 units are back in stock. That's a drop-in solution which simplifies installation - just remove the center console, swap out the entire shifter unit, re-install the center console, and you're ready to drive!
Old 06-10-2016 | 04:07 PM
alan111
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered the retrofit core exchange kit from Luka for my 997 S with 24k miles and am pretty satisfied. He was a pleasure to work with, and offered me a nice discount. His communication and willingness to help was great too. See below for my review:

REASON FOR PURCHASE
The main reason I wanted this was because I had excess side-to-side slop in the shifter and the 1-2 shift was the typical notchy but feltextra sloppy. I would have it maneuver the shifter perfectly to get a smooth shift.

INSTALLATION
Installation was a breeze. It took me about 45 minutes. If I had to do it again, I could probably do it in 20 mins. Difficulty level of 1-10 was maybe a 2. The most difficult part is taking apart the interior. The actual shifter installation is pretty straight forward.

AFTERMATH
The shifter feels much tight overall and shifting is smoother than before. Though based on Luka's descriptions, I was under the impression that it would "cure side/side play". While the side/side play is vastly improved, there is still some play; more than I'm comfortable with. Note: I did not have this kind of play in my last 996, or any of my previous BMW's (E92, E93, so I know that shifters can be tightened up to almost zero play).

I asked Luka about it and he said that everything appears normal. Looks like this is as good as it is going to get. I shot a couple of videos of after installation so that everyone can understand what "cure side/side play" really means.

His full response was "With each side-side motion, the shifter yoke (the olive green part) is engaged and moving up/down as the lever is moved side/side, which indicates that there is no free play in the shifter. The shifter yoke moves the side-side shift cable, so the play is downstream of the shifter. The 997's shifter cable uses rubber ends at the transmission connection point, so that's likely what you're feeling."

VIDEOS

CONCLUSION
Anyways, I highly recommend this upgrade, but would have liked to have a perfect, zero slop/play shifter. How were everyone else's experiences?
Old 06-16-2016 | 04:27 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Alan, thanks very much for reaching out with your in-depth review on the kit. The SHIFT-RIGHT does address the flex and play in the shifter mechanism, but downstream there are some components compromised from the factory that can be addressed to almost entirely remove shifter play. I say "almost" because there are tolerances built into the transmission itself that cannot be addressed by swapping or improving the components external to the transmission.

Here is a dissection of the 997 shifter cable ends that contribute to that side-side (and fore-aft) play and flex that I believe is the source of what you're describing and experiencing.

987/997 OEM cable ends look like dissected...very rubbery:

Quick Reply: Best shifter upgrade value for the 997 GT3