Leaking Oil Galley Plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 01:31 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Leaking Oil Galley Plug

Hi all,

I have had my 997.2 RS at the dealership for coolant hose welding per previous posts.

After reinstalling the engine, they noticed that one of the oil galley plugs had backed half way out and was seeping. They said they have seen this with some regularity in RS 4.0's but never in a 3.8. They applied a new plug with Porsche sealant and it continued to leak. My understanding is that the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome.

The factory (well, first they take a week to respond) still keeps telling them to just put in another plug. They have tried this SIX times, once with loctite. Today they said plug it again.

Factory warranty is a turd - if the tech tries to do something out of the box (ie: actually fix the problem) they wave the "we'll void your warranty" card, as per my previous experience when I requested they tighten cam actuator bolts. They have come up with nothing else.

Mike J on the 993 turbo forum explained he put his in with the normal sealant but top dressed the outer seam with JB Weld.

It seems crazy to me that such an important plug (it's sizeable and oil could dump pretty quickly it seems) is a press fit and not threaded (well, it is crimped with a centrifugal force using a special tool). I suppose tapping the hole runs some risk of filings entering the oiling system.

I searched online but haven't come across this problem in other GT3's.

Any thoughts?

They've had my car 3 months now - I go by the prison weekly for visiting hours.... it was fine in the winter as it was like free heated storage but it's driving weather now!

Cheers,

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
galleyplugpic.pdf (114.3 KB, 173 views)
Old 04-21-2016, 02:28 AM
T-Rex06
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue on my 997.1 GT3. Initially, the dealer used the JB weld but no dice. Mine was seeping a drop here and there. The shop foreman told me Porsche doesn't make replacement plug, but he was able to source one out. He used Porsche sealant with the new plug and it's been perfect ever since it was fixed over a year ago. I'll try and take a pic for you if you'd like.

Terrance
Old 04-21-2016, 02:35 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Thanks Terrance - that's great. If you're able to snap a shot that's convenient then great, but the main challenge will be in finding the magic plug.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 04-21-2016, 02:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

This was a recall on all 4.0's
Old 04-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I would have thought the blocks on the 3.8 and 4.0, as far as the oil galley plugs, would be identical. Do you have the recall procedure TSB?

Porsche is totally screwing around Mark, it's unbelievable how much back and forth there is - I have been in the loops behind the scenes and as Mark says, they just keep doing the same thing over and over again. The design is different than on the older cars (which is a solid aluminum plug, not crimped), but after that many tries, you got to figure either the hole has issues (like scoring, out of round, etc..) or the sealing/crimping process is crap.

I vote for getting the dealer to provide a new engine ...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-21-2016, 08:55 PM
T-Rex06
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark, here's what the fix looks like. I believe it's a brass plug but I'll have to double check on the invoice. No more seeping and it's been almost 2 years now. Best of luck to you.

Terrance

Old 04-22-2016, 01:15 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Originally Posted by T-Rex06
Mark, here's what the fix looks like. I believe it's a brass plug but I'll have to double check on the invoice. No more seeping and it's been almost 2 years now. Best of luck to you. Terrance
Thanks Terrance! That's quite different. I wonder if dissimilar metal helps to galvanically corrode itself into a stable position

Dealer reports no leak today for first time. Tech took car home to get longer heat cycle into engine, so will see tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

The service reps at Porsche get it as bad as the customer - stuck helpless in the middle between shop and factory.

Time to send Elon Musk in to streamline their procedures. Oh you can't do it? Fired.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Mark
Old 04-23-2016, 01:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,794 Likes on 2,373 Posts

did they follow the recall on 4.0?
if not, try that. my does'nt leak after
Old 04-23-2016, 02:23 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rex06
Mark, here's what the fix looks like. I believe it's a brass plug but I'll have to double check on the invoice. No more seeping and it's been almost 2 years now. Best of luck to you.

Terrance

A freeze plug, wow!
Old 04-23-2016, 02:48 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Good, bad, good news. Tech took car home last night to get some decent heat into engine. This morning, galley plug has not leaked but clutch fluid was all over his garage floor. Replacing clutch slave &/or accumulator. It's covered by CPO. I now drive a Cayenne this wkend. Cheers Mark
Old 04-23-2016, 02:50 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
did they follow the recall on 4.0? if not, try that. my does'nt leak after
I assume so as they have done 4.0's before and have the special crimping tool and expect there's a protocol.

Cheers

Mark
Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by hillsdonsmith
Good, bad, good news. Tech took car home last night to get some decent heat into engine. This morning, galley plug has not leaked but clutch fluid was all over his garage floor. Replacing clutch slave &/or accumulator. It's covered by CPO. I now drive a Cayenne this wkend. Cheers Mark
Delayed gratification but you'll want it done right!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:26 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Come on Mark, tell them the continuing story!
Old 08-28-2016, 11:27 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike J
Come on Mark, tell them the continuing story!
Ahh yes, just noticed that I had not wrapped this up.

It wasn't the clutch slave after all, but rear main seal (no prev issues). I'm not sure if that can get damaged during engine in/out, but they replaced under CPO with added advantage of seeing clutch still has good life (65,000 km!).

All good since then. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Cheers

Mark
Old 08-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,115 Posts

You have 65km on your .2RS? Nice job!

Quick Reply: Leaking Oil Galley Plug