Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Questions Re: Waking up the GT3 for spring.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 12:35 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Questions Re: Waking up the GT3 for spring.

Hey fellas,

It's been a good week since I saw snow and the weather is getting warmer, so I figured Spring is coming soon and it's a good time to ask you guys about wake-up procedures. It was my first year in a winter environment that gets roads so heavily salted, and I left it in a car capsule for the winter, slapped on a battery tender, and inflated the tires to 50 while dropping the appropriate amount of Sta-bil inside of the fuel tank.

I figured most of the other stuff is self-explanatory (throw off the tender, deflate tires, drive off the Sta-bil filled tank and get a fresh tank of gas) but I recall reading somewhere "not to start it dry." I think the suggestion was to remove a certain fuse so that the car wouldn't start, crank it two or three times, pop the fuse back in, then start the car. Is that correct? Which fuse are we talking about, if so? Any other winter-is-gone start tips?

Thanks in advance fellas....itching to start 'er up and drive again.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:42 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

how long has it been time wise? I assume 3-4 months? Personally i'd just start the car like normal. it should start right up and build pressure.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:46 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r6elmo
how long has it been time wise? I assume 3-4 months? Personally i'd just start the car like normal. it should start right up and build pressure.
Yep just around there. Bubble-wrapped her in the beginning of December. So no special needs, just hop in start and drive off? Sorry for the dumb questions, its just that I've never had a car sit for more than a month without driving it before, I usually drive my cars at least bi-weekly on weekends, haha.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:59 PM
SGS
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBraking
Yep just around there. Bubble-wrapped her in the beginning of December. So no special needs, just hop in start and drive off? Sorry for the dumb questions, its just that I've never had a car sit for more than a month without driving it before, I usually drive my cars at least bi-weekly on weekends, haha.
My STi sat for about 4 years and started right up and ran like a champ. I think you will be fine, even if it isn't a $hitty japanese econo box
Old 03-17-2016, 01:05 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can always pull the fuse to the injectors and crank it a couple times before going live.

Or you can ship it to Mooty and have him warm it in for you!
Old 03-17-2016, 01:10 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FJSeattle
You can always pull the fuse to the injectors and crank it a couple times before going live.

Or you can ship it to Mooty and have him warm it in for you!
But then I have to wait to get it back from Mooty....I'm too impatient for that.

Mooty can drive here in one of his awesome cars, show it off to me, and warm it up for me here. I'll even buy him lunch.

Living in California sure was easier when it came to cars. lol
Old 03-17-2016, 09:06 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Should be just fine. Crank her up and go for a drive
Old 03-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Should be just fine. Crank her up and go for a drive
+1
We broke down an engine that sat for 2 years and there was still an oil film on the cylinder walls so it stays around a while.
Besides, aren't these engines self oiling at start up as viewed by the standard cloud out the back (kidding, kind of...)

Quick Reply: Questions Re: Waking up the GT3 for spring.