Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Yes, I'm missing the GT3: 6 Month Gallardo Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:02 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
Does my heart good to read this thread because I definitely relate to the conflict by the OP. I recently traded my 991 GT3 in for a new Huracan. Frankly I agree with everything said here. I am a Porsche guy and I have a few to feed that obsession. But I was lusting after the Italian cars and I had to have a fling with the hot Italian mistress. There is no question that GT3 is a more precise and engineered car, but the wild ride with the Huracan is exhilarating (like wild sex). You have to stray at least once before you die. But like everyone says in this thread we will all be back. That will be the case for me. I already have a deposit on the 911 R and the Mission E, hoping to get an allocation. However, in the meantime, I am enjoying the ride of my life, with no regrets other than missing my GT3 everytime I look at the picture below that is hanging on my wall.

God that Huracan is GORGEOUS!!!
Old 02-25-2016, 08:19 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Lol, agreed
Old 02-26-2016, 05:48 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Some of you may recall my post a few months back indicating I had done the unthinkable and sold my gt3 for a early model 6 speed manual Gallardo.
Thanks for the post.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the L car, but yet yearning for the P car.
I too sold a P car near-n-dear to me to buy Italian and occasionally regret it, but once I sell the 360, I'd like to try a 3 pedal Lambo before stepping back to the Porsche air cooled world.

cheers

Craig
Old 02-26-2016, 07:28 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Again, let me know when you want your 996 back
Old 02-27-2016, 02:47 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great in person when the sun shines on it.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:03 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
...But....It lacks something that I can't quite put my finger on, that the gt3 has in spades. Its not looks, and its not power. And its not as simple as saying "the gt3 handles better." That's a true statement, but that does not explain my inner conflict! My gut feeling is also not explained by simply saying "the GT3 is more fun to drive."

Rather, its something about the character of the GT3 cars (literally, all of them, including my old 996 which "only" had 380hp)... The overall experience, the motorsports legacy, the low production numbers, the fraternity with other current and prior gt3 owners, and the overall "feel," is just not the same. The knowledge in the back of your head that the mezger flat six is not going to let you down, and the powerband that and drivetrain that revs so free and pulls so hard all the way to redline. I think its all of those things combined.
Scott, I think you might resonate with this. I had a friend who owned several brands and models of sports cars, including multiple Porsche's, and he loved each of them for their strengths. But I thought his statement describing his overall comparison was especially poignant:

"They are all great cars, but the 911 is the only one with a soul."
Old 02-28-2016, 02:08 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 260 Posts

Exactly....how can I fault myself...its the equivalent of Jaylo showing up at my doorstep and seducing me. I would leave my wife for her in a second and and I know I would regret it but damn it...you only live once. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:10 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Jaylo - is that Jay Leno??

For his money and garage may be we would all leave our wives for him!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:29 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
^^^ Jaylo - is that Jay Leno??

For his money and garage may be we would all leave our wives for him!
I think he means to say JLo. As in Jennifer Lopez. In which case i agree, she looks better at 40+ than she did 20+.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,531 Likes on 2,288 Posts

^ well only b/c she now has even wider rear
it was carerra now she's turbo width
The following 2 users liked this post by mooty:
PDL996 (10-20-2019), Steve Theodore (10-23-2019)
Old 02-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Just passing through a few of the forums and saw this thread. I too went from Porsche (996TT) to Lamborghini, but just to show how everyone perceives things differently, I would NEVER want to be without an Italian exotic again. Every drive is an experience. I don’t care that you can’t take it anywhere, these cars are about the drive….Point A to Point A. I’m driving it only about 1,000 miles a year, but each mile is special.

And yes, the attention is ridiculous, even more so than most L Cars since you just don’t see cars like this in the wild (only 142 ever made) and the scissor doors and top off accentuates this further. But for me, all the attention has been positive. People are genuinely interested in the car. You can’t get out of a gas station without a conversation, request for a picture, etc. You do have to be willing to be an ambassador for the brand in these cases. You can’t roll around in a hoodie and dark shades. Lamborghini is about fun.

So currently I’m starting to look at semi-daily drivers and possibly tracking a car which is why I’m bumping around RList. I like the precision of GT3s, plus you get the benefit of starting a new tracking hobby. But damn, those Verde Ithica Huracans are really something.

I’m still of the mindframe that both Porsche GT or Turbo cars and Italian exotics should be in every car guy’s garage at least once.
Attached Images   
Old 03-01-2016, 01:42 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 140 Posts

I went from decades of Porsche ownership to a new LP550-2 with MT, and while I can relate - I rarely drive it, I would rather hang out with Porsche people, you are not quite as connected to the car, even a dark grey Lambo in LA attracts attention, and two years later I still keep it hidden from colleagues and clients - but I giggle like a little girl from the second I fire it up until I'm back in the garage. Every toe of the throttle is an absolute riot. It is a fantastic blend of beauty, theater, and easy ownership. And surprisingly good on the track.

I'm sure I will have another 911 at some point, but if I sell the Lambo, I know I will regret it.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:57 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

aaargh.... some balance in the universe. Lovers, haters and everything in between.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 722 Likes on 395 Posts

Now you can understand why I got rid of the R8 and the 12C. Much prefer the nearly invisible GT3!!
Old 03-06-2016, 05:43 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by r6elmo
I think he means to say JLo. As in Jennifer Lopez. In which case i agree, she looks better at 40+ than she did 20+.
Exactly!!! I also love the comment about the wide rear end of the turbo/C4S. And as far as Jay Leno...hadn't thought about that one but it may be worth if the cars come with the deal. LOL.

Anyway....Everything people say is so true. Its the emotional vs the rational. Its art vs engineering. Its good looks vs timeless design....the more I read this thread, the more confused I get.

One thing is for sure...when I the Lambo is in the garage its so irrational to me that I have one that I want to sell it....but once I am in the car driving...I can't imagine ever getting rid of it.

Quick Reply: Yes, I'm missing the GT3: 6 Month Gallardo Update