Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Yes, I'm missing the GT3: 6 Month Gallardo Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Yes, I'm missing the GT3: 6 Month Gallardo Update

Some of you may recall my post a few months back indicating I had done the unthinkable and sold my gt3 for a early model 6 speed manual Gallardo. Since then I've fielded a bunch of questions via pm's and posts inquiring whether I'm still happy with my decision (seems many view both the gt3 and Gallardo as attractive options, even though very different). Its now been six months, and the answer is, well, complicated. I guess the best answer is "yes," (but with a very prominent asterisk).

I can honestly say I've never been so conflicted about my car situation. Usually I have complete clarity, can objectively compare the cars I'm contemplating, know exactly what I want, and don't look back. Not this time. So here is my 6 month report.

I really do love my Gallardo. Its stick, I have converted it to rwd (easy 2 hr job that is easily reversible and which literally reduces 120 lbs (almost 100 of which is rotating weight), and I have done a bunch of other great mods that makes it really, really, really fun to drive. In fact, I'm down 247 lbs from a stock Gallardo, and you wouldn't know it by looking at it (i.e., I haven't stripped it or done anything like that, just awd delete, lw battery, wheels, really light exhaust (titanium), superleggera wing, and removal of things like the washer system, secondary air pump, wing motor stuff, unnecessary trunk stuff, engine dress up panels, etc...). The car really is a kick to drive, and to be honest, the extra torque does make it fun on the street whereas you nearly have to commit a felony in the gt3 to feel the same rush on public roads.

And, the car is freaking gorgeous (imho). As in drop dead, gorgeous, and gets comments and stares literally every single time I drive it. To my mind, its one of the best, cleanest designs of any modern car. There is literally not a single angle of that car that I do not like, and that part of ownership has not yet worn off at all.

But....It lacks something that I can't quite put my finger on, that the gt3 has in spades. Its not looks, and its not power (the Gallardo wins in both categories in my opinion). And its not as simple as saying "the gt3 handles better." That's a true statement, but that does not explain my inner conflict! My gut feeling is also not explained by simply saying "the GT3 is more fun to drive." Again, that's probably true, but it doesn't explain my consternation.

Rather, its something about the character of the GT3 cars (literally, all of them, including my old 996 which "only" had 380hp), that is lacking in the Gallardo. The overall experience, the motorsports legacy, the low production numbers, the fraternity with other current and prior gt3 owners, and the overall "feel," is just not the same. The knowledge in the back of your head that the mezger flat six is not going to let you down, and the powerband that and drivetrain that revs so free and pulls so hard all the way to redline. I think its all of those things combined.

Other than that, the biggest drawback for me, in all honesty, is that given my personality, the car is not very "usable." In saying this, I don't mean that I worry about door dings or comfort or the lack of cargo space or scraping the lip (gt3 was way worse!). No, its about the attention the car brings every time I drive it (my daily driver is a chevy volt after all!). I won't drive it to work, to church, or to pick up my kids from basketball. Not because the car won't do those things admirably, but rather because its a circus every time I do, and I feel like I'm "showing off" unless there is a reason or occasion to be driving it, if that makes sense.

And it sucks that I feel like that! I drove my gt3 everywhere and never gave it a second thought (and it was red!). It was awesome. But I find myself not driving the Gallardo because of the impression it gives others. If I lived in L.A. or Vegas or NYC I might feel different, but in a sleepy, conservative, Phoenix suburb, its like I'm driving a spaceship with a naked lady on the roof. Everyone assumes it cost 250k, and because only really, really rich dudes buy quarter million dollar cars, people tend to assume I'm some rich d-bag (it doesn't help that I'm 40 and look younger than I am). I like to think I don't care what other people think, but deep down it bugs me that I feel like I'm showing off every time I drive it without a really good reason to be driving it, and as a consequence I just don't drive it that much. Although enthusiasts would freak out over the 997.1 gt3, to 90% of the public it was just another 911. The Gallardo is very different. Even grandmas snap pics of the Gallardo where I live.

The only other real drawback, and I'm not so sure its as much as drawback of the car itself or just the fact that I'm spoiled from years of owning different gt3's, is that the gallardo feels a bit "numb" in comparison. Throttle revs (especially at idle), seem lazy, don't rise or fall quickly, and sometimes just don't respond like it feels they should after coming to a stop, etc... (which is totally normal according to my tech). Its much better at high speeds/rpm's, but not like a gt3. The steering is also numb, although much better after removing the front diff and driveline. The later lp cars are much better, but still not like a gt3 in my experience.

So, am I going to sell the Gallardo? No, not yet. But do I miss having a gt3 in the garage? Very much so. If I had to do it all over again would I? Close call, but probably not. Will I buy another gt3 at some point? There is literally no doubt, and hopefully when that time comes I'll be in a position to keep both! In the meantime, I'll continue to monitor the rennlist classifieds, you know, just in case!

(thought I'd share some recent pics from the last time I made the mistake of taking it to a basketball game at an elementary school. Came out and there was a guy with a huge camera taking pics. He was nice enough to send me a few of the shots).
Attached Images     
The following 2 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
catdog2 (01-01-2020), EMdoc (07-11-2021)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:52 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

I know exactly what you mean. I have resisted buying anything flashy as I would never use it - and I live in LA. My 2009 Porsche is just fine. Most flash I could handle would be a Gt3. No F or L cars for me - at least for a few more years. I'd only drive them at 4am.

Having said all of that, your car is really good looking and I'm sure its a hoot to drive with 2WD and stick.
The following 2 users liked this post by rodsky:
catdog2 (01-01-2020), EMdoc (07-11-2021)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:56 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

I have never owned a Gallardo but can relate to your feelings on the matter of owning something "flashy". Not that it's in the same league as a Gallardo, but my old Lotus Exige Cup 240 used to draw a lot of attention from every Tom, Dick and Harry (grandmas also included!) and although I loved that car, it did make me feel like a show off and consequently I didn't drive it much. I look at Ferraris and Lambos that I see driving around in similar light and perhaps I shouldn't, as I'm sure many of the people who own and drive those cars do so because they are truly passionate about their brand, much the same as Porsche owners. To me though, supercars aren't as purposeful as a GT3 and as a result, you have to wonder what the real point of them is. Plus I like the fact that you can take your GT3 to and from the track, beat on it all day and it won't let you down.

Beautiful Gallardo by the way.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (01-01-2020)
Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Great write up! Your Gallardo looks amazing and tastefully modded.

I too have questioned if I should get rid of my GT3 for a Gallardo or F430 but you just confirmed for me that I shouldn't.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:13 PM
MGR-GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great recap. I think your license plate says it all... And this paragraph below too.

So, am I going to sell the Gallardo? No, not yet. But do I miss having a gt3 in the garage? Very much so. If I had to do it all over again would I? Close call, but probably not. Will I buy another gt3 at some point? There is literally no doubt, and hopefully when that time comes I'll be in a position to keep both! In the meantime, I'll continue to monitor the rennlist classifieds, you know, just in case!

I see you selling the Gallardo at some point and getting back to a GT3. But you had a great time and you'll never look back.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

mark my words,
GT3 in your garage before end of year.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (10-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2016, 01:10 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Great write up! Happy hunting for 996 GT3. Many fond memories with it. Probably drove the best I ever did with it.

Not a Lambo fan, but great pictures. Car looks super sexy in those pics. And seriously LOL license place! Haha.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:46 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Step 1 is admitting it
Step 2 is knowing what to do
Step 3 is doing

I think 1 and 2 are done
Old 02-23-2016, 01:51 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MGR-GT3
Great recap. I think your license plate says it all... And this paragraph below too. So, am I going to sell the Gallardo? No, not yet. But do I miss having a gt3 in the garage? Very much so. If I had to do it all over again would I? Close call, but probably not. Will I buy another gt3 at some point? There is literally no doubt, and hopefully when that time comes I'll be in a position to keep both! In the meantime, I'll continue to monitor the rennlist classifieds, you know, just in case! I see you selling the Gallardo at some point and getting back to a GT3. But you had a great time and you'll never look back.
How about McLaren 570S vs 997 GT3 RS? . Not light years apart in price.

Cheers

Mark
Old 02-23-2016, 02:07 AM
gtdoggie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested Mclaren 640 a couple of years back and found it much less engaging than my 4.0 RS. I was curious before I drove it but the 20 minute test drive quickly ended my curiosity.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:38 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you assessment. You have to like the flashy looks and attention if you drive an exotic. Gallardo is as reliable as it gets in exotics world. It is very robust. An f430 would be more precise but perhaps less reliable.

In all practical sense, a gt3 is still 911. It is a bit crazy newest gt3rs sells for $300k. It is simply worth no more than $200k. For this, Gallardo is a much more sensible buy.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:17 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

Great write up, beautiful car and mods, it's definitely a box I want to tick, thanks for sharing. 1 thing to consider is your choice of Lambo color, do you think if you had gone neutral like black or grey it would gather less attention? (I know black is not good in the Az sun!)

I have a friend who has a black Superleggera which is stunning in the flesh (she's not too bad either) and it does go under the radar, sometimes...

Name:  10452371_10152481438953529_3124006308683358244_n.jpg
Views: 6218
Size:  103.0 KB
Old 02-23-2016, 10:43 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Sensible write up and I share your thinking. Gallardo is still a great looking car, not dated at all. I showed my wife a picture of a green Huracan and said maybe next car and got the furled brow w/head shake look, you know what I'm talking about.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Lambos are race cars like GT Porches so I think they are cool. Why dont you drive around Scottsdale- your lambo will fit in there and the roads north of Scottsdale are awesome from many business trips to that area.
I lived in DC area and it also seems to be a big lambo area, so keep that in mind if you decide to sell.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

I enjoyed your post and understand the "attention" thing. What you said here sums it up nicely:

Although enthusiasts would freak out over the 997.1 gt3, to 90% of the public it was just another 911. The Gallardo is very different. Even grandmas snap pics of the Gallardo where I live.

Funny thing, while my lowly '69 Camaro SS certainly does not have the "flash factor" of a Gallardo, in the area I live (Atlanta suburb), my GT3 is ignored as just another 911 while the Camaro is an automotive rock star by comparison. Other drivers honk, wave and ask questions at stoplights and I have yet to make a fuel stop without getting into a conversation with someone. That NEVER happens with the GT3. I imagine the difference in what you are experiencing is that the old Camaro doesn't carry the visual pretentiousness of a Lambo or Ferrari and it is viewed as "attainable" by the general public.

Then again, this is Georgia....

Quick Reply: Yes, I'm missing the GT3: 6 Month Gallardo Update