Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Battery dead, hood closed. GOT IT OPEN

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 03:36 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,717 Posts
Default Battery dead, hood closed. GOT IT OPEN

Ok, I took my trickle charger out of the car the other day as it was not working properly. This was a few days ago.

This morning, I wanted to take the car up the crest for a Sunday drive and walked out to the garage and shut the hood. Then jumped in the car and dead battery. I knew it right then that I was screwed.

1. Tried the red jump point in the fuse panel with a set of Jumper cables connected to my other car. No Go! I did this several times with several different grounding points to no avail.

2. decided to go after the bowden cable and jacked up the car and began taking off the wheel. Then i came to the locking nut. Yes, it's in the locked compartment.

Trying to figure out my options at this point. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to wrestle with the wheel well panels to get to the cable with the wheel on the car.

Is there anything I'm missing?

TIA

E

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 02-21-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:53 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

Dumb question but you tried the jump points in the fuse box and then on several points on the body/ground? Are you getting the tell-tale spark of connection?
Old 02-21-2016, 04:27 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 117 Posts

When you jumped to the fuse panel point I assume you did not try and start the car. I also assume when jumped, you only tried the hood opening switch on the door sill. Also, the battery you're jumping from is good? I know it's too late now but, when I store my car for the winter I leave the hood unlatched and the driver side window down for this very reason. I start the car with the hood open to make sure it starts. I've had a dead battery before and had to jump to open the hood so i've been in the same club.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Try the Cig lighter outlet, it is not switched by ignition key in my 997.2 GT3
I have my Top of the Line CTEK battery maintainer with a cigarette lighter dongle using this as the charging port.

BTW, a Trickle charger never stops charging which is different than a Battery Maintainer. Upon charging the trickle will proceed to overcharge, boil the electrolyte and loose it to the atmosphere.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:37 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I took he battery of the car the other day. When I went to put it back in the car, I don't think I hooked up the negative cable. I reinstalled the battery then had to disconnect the negative terminal to install the Rennline plate over the top of the battery. I think I may have forgot to attach the negative terminal back on the battery.

Could this be the reason why the red terminal jumper in the fuse panel isn't working?
Old 02-21-2016, 05:42 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

On the 996 car doesn't matter if you have a fully dead battery or not. I used the the jumper battery pack to connect to fuse panel and the other to door jam lock hoopie thingie. Pressed the trunk lid opener and voila. Should be a dedicated loop whether u have a dead or no battery at all scenario. Mike
Old 02-21-2016, 06:00 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike, ok, let go go at that again. Unsuccessful on finding a bowden cable for the front boot. Funny as when I had all the wheel liners off a few years back I can also recall with certainty that I saw a cable in the front right wheel well.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:29 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Ok Mike I went at it again and got it open.

It doesn't open with the button in the car but it opened with the key fob.

The battery was 100% hooked up properly but it just died in the 3 or 4 days it was off the charger. i used the battery to jump another car and that probably zapped it.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:37 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^hopefully you have a portable jumper pack ie no need for another car to jumpstart it. With jumper pack place (+) cable claw to fuse box and the (-) cable claw to that silver door hoop thing(that's where door locks to it when closed). This method is only to open trunk/rear decklid nothing else ie not to start car). Depress hood button it should just pop open. Mike
Old 02-21-2016, 06:41 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Anyway glad it work out. Anyway u may want to relocate your Bowden cable for easier access. Wo a battery pack charger your screwed. Mike
Old 02-21-2016, 06:54 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

CTEK's battery maintainer has brought back the same battery twice from depletion in my Dino. I had an oil leak in my Dino which shorted the Alt intermittenly. Maybe I'm oversold on the product but I wouldn't doubt if using a battery maintainer extends battery life 2-3 years. The very first thing I did when I recently bought my GT3 was to plug my CTEK 4.3 MUS into it and charge the battery all the way up.

A good 8 stage maintainer with desulphation and absorbation stages will do wonders.

Just to gain some electrical perspective on your car system, the battery is the source of all electricity and the alternator should be viewed as topping off the battery as necessary. A good battery will keep your electrical systems solid and even when the key is out of the ignition there are current draws.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:56 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Yea, I know that. Bad thing about those battery packs is I've purchased to many to count and they keep going bad on me.

I'm done that crap made by Peak and the Sears brands have let me down also. I run trucks in the entertainment industry and have them for the crew. They are always going bad. The one at my house is bad. My craftsman top of the line battery charger is bad. The NoCo Genius charger just went out the other day and the only thing that is still working is my battery tender on the Motorcycle.

I''m gonna start the car up and take it for a drive to charge the battery. On the way back I'm going to stop at the store and grab a new jump pack and battery charger for the house.

Thanks to all for helping me out. Can't make my canyon run with the guys but I'll still get her out for a wee bit.

Best,

Ed Lee
Old 02-22-2016, 08:44 AM
ZMC-ZH
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
CTEK's battery maintainer has brought back the same battery twice from depletion in my Dino. I had an oil leak in my Dino which shorted the Alt intermittenly. Maybe I'm oversold on the product but I wouldn't doubt if using a battery maintainer extends battery life 2-3 years. The very first thing I did when I recently bought my GT3 was to plug my CTEK 4.3 MUS into it and charge the battery all the way up.

A good 8 stage maintainer with desulphation and absorbation stages will do wonders.

Just to gain some electrical perspective on your car system, the battery is the source of all electricity and the alternator should be viewed as topping off the battery as necessary. A good battery will keep your electrical systems solid and even when the key is out of the ignition there are current draws.
^this.
I had this product save batteries that I thought were long gone. Definitely a smart investment for both the wallet and the planet.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Yea, I know that. Bad thing about those battery packs is I've purchased to many to count and they keep going bad on me.

I'm done that crap made by Peak and the Sears brands have let me down also. I run trucks in the entertainment industry and have them for the crew. They are always going bad. The one at my house is bad. My craftsman top of the line battery charger is bad. The NoCo Genius charger just went out the other day and the only thing that is still working is my battery tender on the Motorcycle.

I''m gonna start the car up and take it for a drive to charge the battery. On the way back I'm going to stop at the store and grab a new jump pack and battery charger for the house.

Thanks to all for helping me out. Can't make my canyon run with the guys but I'll still get her out for a wee bit.

Best,

Ed Lee
I have great success with devices like these. I just keep it in my truck, it's amazing how many times I have used it to jump start cars at the track.

http://www.amazon.com/noco-products
Old 02-22-2016, 11:57 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

^^^Yes, I run one on the GT3, great product and made in the USA.

Quick Reply: Battery dead, hood closed. GOT IT OPEN