Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 06:20 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 203 Posts

strange auction? Could it be because the price was run up early on and it's not worth more than $150K to current buyers in the room? Lots of traffic on BAT so it's certainly had plenty of exposure. It was well presented too. I am surprised no one here is making excuses for why it didn't go for $180K. This thread is less fun now that we're seeing price declines and the speculators and investors have moved on.

Just because the market was higher a few months ago doesn't mean it should've sold for more now. Different environment we're in now. Lending tightening up (i know, everyone pays cash for these!!!), and $150K appears to be all the money today. The other car last week on pcarmarket was a better spec and sold for a bit more, but only confirms the market has shifted quite a bit from where it was only a few months ago. Dealers and dreamers will get smoked on these in the coming months.
The following 2 users liked this post by lawrence1:
Joe Cho (11-17-2022), zshecht7792 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 06:53 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 405 Posts

You’re right, nothing strange about a desirable GT3 not receiving a single bid in three days and the high bid ending 20,000 lower than where two cars sold two weeks ago. I hope you’re right and the market tanks and you can finally get the GT3 you’re searching for, for $85k.
Same old, same old, in this thread. Everyone looking to buy a car thinks everything is over priced and coming down, and everyone who owns one or is looking to sell, thinks they are undervalued and on the way up. Just human nature.
The following users liked this post:
joeycannoli (11-19-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 07:49 PM
Hansel
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
Different environment we're in now. Lending tightening up (i know, everyone pays cash for these!!!)
This right here I would believe is whats driving the market down. With lending tightened, predominantly only cash buyers are left and as such, can be much more selective with the reduced demand.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:37 PM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 202 Posts

I mean $30k over sticker 12 years and 10k miles later seems pretty good to me.

If I was buying a car like this I would immediately be out after reading the comment by someone who looked at the car in person suggesting the car looked like it spent it’s whole life outdoors.
That coupled with the thin paint that still shows etching after a correction says to me that it was likely not taken care of well and they had to polish the hell out of it. If the paint wasn’t, the car likely wasn’t. (Not saying this as fact)

I can look past a lot of stuff but I won’t look past paintwork on metal and to me that’s equivalent. Not speaking for everyone else of course.
Based on my few years paying attention to sales and everything before and after buying mine, buckets, ceramics, & leather seem to be the most desirable stuff and pull the high numbers.

A premium price for a not terribly premium car, sold by a dealer and then you still have to do the lines. We all know it’s a slippery “once youre ready in there” slope. I personally wouldn’t have gone above what it was bid to and it’s my fav color on this car.

As far as lending goes, the vast majority of people aren’t/haven’t given out money at a decent rate for a car this expensive and this old since pre-Covid. That’s more of a 991 issue in my opinion. Anytime you see someone willing to lend on a 10+ year old car way above NADA value it’s not that great of a rate and if their site says it is chances are it’s some obscure qualification for whatever credit union.

It’s a “driver” condition car that is acting like a premium car. Not cheap enough to steal, not good enough shape to be a garage keeper. Leaves you somewhere in between which is exactly where this car landed.

(sorry for the rant)

Last edited by ljmartyre; 11-17-2022 at 08:47 PM.
lawrence1 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 09:06 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ljmartyre
I mean $30k over sticker 12 years and 10k miles later seems pretty good to me.

If I was buying a car like this I would immediately be out after reading the comment by someone who looked at the car in person suggesting the car looked like it spent it’s whole life outdoors.
That coupled with the thin paint that still shows etching after a correction says to me that it was likely not taken care of well and they had to polish the hell out of it. If the paint wasn’t, the car likely wasn’t. (Not saying this as fact)

I can look past a lot of stuff but I won’t look past paintwork on metal and to me that’s equivalent. Not speaking for everyone else of course.
Based on my few years paying attention to sales and everything before and after buying mine, buckets, ceramics, & leather seem to be the most desirable stuff and pull the high numbers.

A premium price for a not terribly premium car, sold by a dealer and then you still have to do the lines. We all know it’s a slippery “once youre ready in there” slope. I personally wouldn’t have gone above what it was bid to and it’s my fav color on this car.

As far as lending goes, the vast majority of people aren’t/haven’t given out money at a decent rate for a car this expensive and this old since pre-Covid. That’s more of a 991 issue in my opinion. Anytime you see someone willing to lend on a 10+ year old car way above NADA value it’s not that great of a rate and if their site says it is chances are it’s some obscure qualification for whatever credit union.

It’s a “driver” condition car that is acting like a premium car. Not cheap enough to steal, not good enough shape to be a garage keeper. Leaves you somewhere in between which is exactly where this car landed.

(sorry for the rant)
there are lots of people financing these cars still. I used to think there weren’t but some discussions in this very forum a while back were eye opening.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:39 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 607 Posts

there are lots of people financing these cars still. I used to think there weren’t but some discussions in this very forum a while back were eye opening.
Now that all you need is a YouTube channel to write off super cars, financing is pretty common/easy.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 11-17-2022 at 09:40 PM.
lawrence1 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 10:25 PM
Joe Cho
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 246 Posts

I financed as it was the only way I could afford it but I had a budget and I put a huge down payment. Luckily the rates last year were nothing like the ones now. Can't imagine financing now.
The following 3 users liked this post by Joe Cho:
lawrence1 (11-18-2022), ljmartyre (11-17-2022), zshecht7792 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 10:34 PM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
Now that all you need is a YouTube channel to write off super cars, financing is pretty common/easy.
As someone who financed half of mine for a year before paying it off, I’m certainly aware.
That cash did much more for me elsewhere.

Being self employed, under 30, and in southern CA considering purchasing a home at that time, my CU also gave me really good incentive to do so. I’m sure other people out there have or will have been in similar scenarios. But 1.5 years ago is def different from todays market.

For anyone who cares enough to read, I have crazy car ADD. I’ve had 40 now and the 7.2 GT3 has stayed with me the longest, cost the most upfront, but required the least modification and maintenance costs, and is somehow the most interactive while being super reasonable with regular use.
I’ve put almost 25k miles on it in a year and a half, and only put accumulative 4k miles on the daily’s I’ve had the last 2 years.

Short story long, buy one and drive the **** out of it. They are good for it, and the experience is worth the money. I can’t say the same with a lot of the past cars.

Last edited by ljmartyre; 11-17-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Robocop305 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 11:25 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

FWIW, called dealer after and said they had it under contract at $160K. Maybe BaT kicked in part of their deal to close the deal.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:26 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
FWIW, called dealer after and said they had it under contract at $160K. Maybe BaT kicked in part of their deal to close the deal.
If so, sounds like a fair deal for both sides.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:29 AM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
BAT would only kick in if the difference was less than $5k and they could still make some money vs. none. Car would show sold rather than RNM. BAT still exchanges the contact info of the seller and high bidder and it sounds like they made a fair deal after the fact.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:22 AM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmann2380
BAT would only kick in if the difference was less than $5k and they could still make some money vs. none. Car would show sold rather than RNM. BAT still exchanges the contact info of the seller and high bidder and it sounds like they made a fair deal after the fact.
Best case scenario for the seller. Pull in the (FOMO?) buyer through the massive exposure on BAT, get them to pay more than the hammer price, then cut out the middle man and keep all the dough. glad they were able to make it work.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:09 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikon
sold for $115k+ buyers premium. WP0AC29917S793140

Robocop305 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 09:07 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
good money considering the whole car was repainted. congrats on the sale! the car looked nice.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:21 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
That’s a great deal. It must have been the ending on a Friday right before a holiday week. Nobody is paying attention to the auctions. I have noticed that auctions that ends on holidays or weekend get worse results. Additionally, I wouldn’t be selling anything now. People should keep their cars until next Spring. Winter is the worst time to sell, specially with the current financial uncertainty.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...