The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread... - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

997 GT2/GT3 Forum

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Old 02-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #46
misterwaterfall
Addict
Rennlist Member

The lust is strong for the PTS, and surprisingly the price doesn't seem too horrible. Now if I could have talked the lady into buying a nice car instead of a nice house my budget could have stretched that high.
misterwaterfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #47
Shivatron
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilko View Post
The cool thing about the blue car is that everything that could be deleted was deleted - A/C, radio, headlights and the car was made as light as possible (battery, brakes). I can definitely see its appeal to a certain audience.
As a car that will end up bubble-wrapped (let's face it, who's tracking a PTS GT3 RS at this point -- hell, I don't even track my non-RS), that car is about 1000x more desirable than the blue/gold car at Porsche North Houston, at over 100k less. Want. Maybe I will check under the mattress to see if some cash appeared later tonight...

Edit: actually, come to think of it, I would bet good money that PNH will scoop this car up and relist it at a substantial premium over the current price, just as they did with the white/gold RS from NJ a few weeks ago.
Shivatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:04 PM   #48
secretcollector
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not so fast gentlemen - the PTS in NJ, while a truly stunning color and spec, had its engine replaced at 1500 miles. That fact alone will eliminate most, if not all, of the serious collectors as they don't buy cars with stories, especially when it resulted in a non-matching numbers engine.

This particular car falls into a strange DMZ - one the one side, it leans toward being a pure collector's example because of the PTS, true lightweight spec and mileage. On the other, with a replacement engine, those same collectors will pass on it and then it becomes a great car that needs to be sold at a much more attractive price to someone that will actually drive it.

I have no direct interest in the car but am curious to see how the market responds to it for these reasons.
secretcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #49
usctrojanGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretcollector View Post
Not so fast gentlemen - the PTS in NJ, while a truly stunning color and spec, had its engine replaced at 1500 miles. That fact alone will eliminate most, if not all, of the serious collectors as they don't buy cars with stories, especially when it resulted in a non-matching numbers engine.

This particular car falls into a strange DMZ - one the one side, it leans toward being a pure collector's example because of the PTS, true lightweight spec and mileage. On the other, with a replacement engine, those same collectors will pass on it and then it becomes a great car that needs to be sold at a much more attractive price to someone that will actually drive it.

I have no direct interest in the car but am curious to see how the market responds to it for these reasons.
Any idea why the motor was replaced?
usctrojanGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:50 PM   #50
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

^intake flap screw loose, suck into engine. kaboom, bang
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #51
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by audipwr1 View Post
Why someone would want regular headlights to save 3 lbs escapes me, just have a burrito and coffee two hours before driving and be able to see better at night with real headlights
i do have zenon, but truth be told, if you see me at night, get the hell away from me. i really CAN'T see much at night. well i dont see much during the day either. so if i am behind you, YIELD. i hit many things. since i am so near sighted. any lights inc night sun on search helicopter dont help much ;-)
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #52
Shivatron
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
^intake flap screw loose, suck into engine. kaboom, bang
Nope -- original motor was overrev'd. DME still reports overrev (which I understand is common), and the flywheel and tranny were replaced as well.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:01 PM   #53
jvmax
Addict
Rennlist Member

what color blue is that?
jvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #54
switchcars
Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmax View Post
what color blue is that?
Oslo Blue

We are always on the hunt for Porsche GT products - call us if you're thinking about selling your GT3, RS, GT4, GT2, Turbo, or other limited production Porsche.

Switchcars.com is an authorized Trailex aluminum trailer dealer

Like us on Facebook
switchcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #55
jvmax
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivatron View Post
Nope -- original motor was overrev'd. DME still reports overrev (which I understand is common), and the flywheel and tranny were replaced as well.
if it had original motor, would you add $100k?
jvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #56
Shivatron
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmax View Post
if it had original motor, would you add $100k?
Would I? No. Would someone else purchase at $340? Probably.

Edit: actually, maybe not. There was a PTS green for auction (Gooding, was it?) that only hit $285. There would have to be some very special provenance to imagine a non-4.0 RS hitting $300. secretcollector probably has a better read on the ultra-high-end market than anyone else in this thread, though...

Edit 2: went back and looked at the PTS green car only hit $210+buyers premium so $231 in January of this year.

Last edited by Shivatron; 02-26-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #57
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Here's a picture of the Oslo Blue car from a while back: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-997-2gt3.html
ilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #58
secretcollector
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shivatron - thank you for the kind compliment. I'll say that I certainly have a lot of firsthand market knowledge of the limited production models.

For this car in particular, I can say this - with no story attached to it (meaning the original engine), I would have bought this car in five seconds because it is a stunning color (for sure the only RS built in this color) and I love the spec - a true lightweight. As a collector, buying these one-of-a-kind cars for me has nothing to do with price, it's about access to the car and then owning it. The flip side is that with the engine being replaced, I wouldn't buy the car for $50,000 and I know many other collectors feel the same way. The point being that the right car is worth all of the money but even one fully vetted story to me means I pass.

Not sure if this is at all helpful, as I've stated I have no interest in this car whatsoever other than as an observer. I've received three PM's about this car this afternoon so thought I could help the community by explaining what I see here.
secretcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #59
hman_jeh
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default PTS 2011 RS Sold

FYI - I just called the dealer on this car, it sold this afternoon for full asking. The color is spectacular, but agree with replacement motor hurts from a collector perspective.

Also called Hoffman in East Hartford for their 2011 RS Grey/Red CPO 16K well optioned. Also sold this afternoon....
hman_jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #60
Seth Thomas
Addict
Rennlist Member

PTS car sold to Isringhausen this afternoon while I was talking to the salesman about it. Full boat price
Seth Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote