Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Back from the Rolex

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:40 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Back from the Rolex

I think this was the 15th year I have gone, usually with my son. Last year my then 5th grade grandson, who has since moved to KS, went with us and just loved the event, so this year, he flew out with his mom to Charlotte, then we drove straight to Columbia SC in our GT3 of course. Stayed there to about 6 am at my son's place, then rolled south, Chris in his Elise, Caleb riding shotgun with me. On the way, we switched drivers and Caleb rode in each of our machines, of course, in mine, with the Sharkwerk's track exhaust, I have Caleb put in ear plugs. Both of us with detectors, found three HP's lurking in the median, and slowed for them. About dawn, a quick b'fast at Waffle House, then drove on, arriving at Daytona during a Ferrari Challenge race, Chris in his Eliise pulling into the Grassroots Paddock. When I pulled into the Porsche Corral they waved my GT3 to park next to the tent, between a GT2 and a brand new GT3RS, the one with the louvers on the front fenders.

Caleb quickly decided he is a Lambo Man, even though another uncle has a 458 and a 488. So I bought him a Bull Hat, and a flag, and his other grandmother gave him a hundred dollar bill for spending, which he did on about 8 little cars. As usual we linked up with friends from Chris' College years, and in between pretzels we greatly enjoyed the races, which seemed to have a lot more fans than in past years. It was also so much better to see such a wide variety of race cars, unlike when there were just the DP and Porsche's and a few others running in years past.

In the evening, after we had our customary fish/beer dinner down on the Inland Waterway, then back to our motel on the beach, where Caleb was informed to become a member of our group, he had to do the Polar Bear Challenge, so late at night, Chris took him down to the beach, where they both ran into the Atlantic and then the hot tub, to the cheers of the group from their balcony.

Back to the Race in the morning, where we walked between the garages and vendors and the track, Caleb taking countless pictures and video's with his cell phone, and just loving every minute of it. When we would come and go to our nearby Wing place, Caleb was just thrilled when we would rip the GT3's exhaust in the tunnel. Once, saw a dog with its owner, so of course did not pain the poor dog's ears. When we returned Sunday, again our GT3 was waved to park next to the Porsche tent. Actually, GT3 variants must be pretty uncommon, as I think there were perhaps a half dozen at most among the 80 or so Porsche's in the Corral.

Had to leave two hours before the end of the race, to get Chris home for 5 AM work the next day, and Caleb back to our place to see his mom and get ready to fly back to Kansas City.

As for the cars, all of us agreed the new Ford GT is absolutely stunning, and so much better looking than in its pictures. Undoubtedly the most fabulous car ever, more so than even the McLaren's, the new Lambo's, the 488's, or any other car we saw.

We had a great time, and Caleb wants to make it part of his young life to go again yearly. As long as he keeps his grades up, of course.

Here are a few pictures, and all the best......

NV

Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

A great tradition!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:59 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience. I watched every minute of TV coverage. Hope to see the new Porches, Lambos, the 488s, and of course the new Ford GT at Watkins Glen.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Sleepy996
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

A few quick shots from the weekend.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Sleepy996
Pro

Sunday around 11:30a.m. team is looking rough.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:51 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks a great family day out. The the grandson looks a chip off the old block.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:13 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for sharing everyone. Looks like a blast
Old 02-07-2016, 10:24 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Memories that will last. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:47 AM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Great write-up NV. Thanks for sharing. Sound (and looks!) like you guys had a great time! I love the picture with that swarm of mechanics under the Porsche. Nice pics from Sleepy too
Old 02-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

My Dad and I attended for the first time this year. We have attended many many motorsports events through the years and the 24 is just fantastic. We definitely plan on going again next year!!!

We saw your car in the corral and it looked great! Thank you for sharing the pictures!!!
Old 02-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a great family tradition...
Old 02-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Sleepy996
Pro

Nam Vet we were in traffic with you Saturday evening. I was in my gen.1 black/orange RS following a friend in his widebody 997 turbo. Love your set up and the cup spoiler looks killer. One more GT pic for ya guys.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sleepy, I well recall the the RS and Turbo just as we drove away from the front of the track. I was in the left lane, and you in the right, and you were slowly able to move ahead in that miserable traffic towards the beach.

See you next year.

All the best.....
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks for the write up, always enjoy your very detailed posts NV! I'd love to get to the Daytona 24HR one day.

Quick Reply: Back from the Rolex