Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Driving tips for a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 01:11 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by LFTOFFOVRSTR
That is definitely not the case, it's how and when you lift.

DON'T LIFT is just folklore.

I think that rule is for people who don't know what they were doing. Lifting can help rotate the rear end and when done properly is an essential tool in the 911
arsenal.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hella-Buggin':
DD GT3 RD (01-02-2023), jreifler (01-02-2023), Sirenty (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 04:50 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I think that rule is for people who don't know what they were doing. Lifting can help rotate the rear end and when done properly is an essential tool in the 911
arsenal.
it’s funny I’ve been tracking cars for about 15 years. Run solid lap times for a hobbyist. And when I first tracked a 911 I laughed out loud (same happened with my Gen 5 viper) because I go ahhh the internet and car journalists who can’t drive who make everything sounds so scary when it’s not. Bunch of *******. Don’t lift like you’ll die right away. Hell the gas pedal on a 911 is like a steering wheel!
The following users liked this post:
SupraSaiyan (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 08:10 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
it’s funny I’ve been tracking cars for about 15 years. Run solid lap times for a hobbyist. And when I first tracked a 911 I laughed out loud (same happened with my Gen 5 viper) because I go ahhh the internet and car journalists who can’t drive who make everything sounds so scary when it’s not. Bunch of *******. Don’t lift like you’ll die right away. Hell the gas pedal on a 911 is like a steering wheel!
Agree with the previous three posts, and especially this. The 911 (at least the 964 and 6GT3 I have experience with) are great at throttle steering. I pretty much set the wheel once and then use my right foot to fine tune the corner. Running wide or decreasing radius? Breathe off and the nose tucks in nicely. Turning in too tight? Add some throttle and induce a little understeer.

When the rear would start moving due to weight transfer to the front, lean hard into the gas and the rear hooks up, squats and goes.

Also, in my experience with mine, they turn much better with weight on the nose, which means learning and loving trail braking. Trying to turn while giving any gas (I.e., weight transfer to the rear) is mostly an exercise in understeer, especially the 964 with a LSD. Someone called out Twist of the Wrist, which is a classic for doing similar with a bike. That was my bible many years ago when I rode. I feel like even non-rider track drivers could get something out of it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sirenty:
DD GT3 RD (01-02-2023), jreifler (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 08:57 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Agree with the previous three posts, and especially this. The 911 (at least the 964 and 6GT3 I have experience with) are great at throttle steering. I pretty much set the wheel once and then use my right foot to fine tune the corner. Running wide or decreasing radius? Breathe off and the nose tucks in nicely. Turning in too tight? Add some throttle and induce a little understeer.

When the rear would start moving due to weight transfer to the front, lean hard into the gas and the rear hooks up, squats and goes.

Also, in my experience with mine, they turn much better with weight on the nose, which means learning and loving trail braking. Trying to turn while giving any gas (I.e., weight transfer to the rear) is mostly an exercise in understeer, especially the 964 with a LSD. Someone called out Twist of the Wrist, which is a classic for doing similar with a bike. That was my bible many years ago when I rode. I feel like even non-rider track drivers could get something out of it.
Well said. Better than I did!
Old 01-02-2023, 10:09 PM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
HA I had the same exact experience! Going into my first track day with the RS I was a bit nervous. 1 lap in and i'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread, it drives like any other car until you are pushing towards the limit.
The following users liked this post:
DD GT3 RD (01-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Driving tips for a GT3