Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Another coolant pipe story...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Never seen a .2 GT3 have a problem . Mine had over 26k miles with many on the track.
Doesn't mean it can't/ won't happen. 997.2 is easy to pin engine-in. Just fix it before someone gets hurt.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:56 PM
chriskuta
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this talk of coolant pipe woes has me worried.

I have 997.2 GT3 with extended warranty with Porsche Australia (PAU?). Asked them about it and they weren't all that concerned. I asked the head mechanic at the dealer (old bloke years of Porsche experience, admittedly loves air cooled.. oh the irony) he claimed that aftermarket tunes / exhausts basically excess heat cooks the glue. Reckons if I'm stock shouldn't worry..

What are PNA dealers offering (if anything) under warranty as preventative? Just wondering maybe I can push to have the same done here down under.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:15 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chriskuta
What are PNA dealers offering (if anything) under warranty as preventative? Just wondering maybe I can push to have the same done here down under.
Dealers in the US aren't doing anything unless there is an actual failure. Most are not thrilled with waiting until it breaks to have it fixed since it's a safety concern. I'd find a good indy that can pin or weld.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:25 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

My turbo was stock when it leaked. Porsche servicing in NZ told me not to worry, never happens. Leaked a month or so later. Almost every other Mezger car I know of has had it happen.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Never seen a .2 GT3 have a problem . Mine had over 26k miles with many on the track.
My .1 has 45,000 miles and has been tracked since the first day. No problems so far, but I'm not getting it back out on the track until this is addressed. You should do the same.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:28 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen 997.1s with over 50K tracked and not have an issue, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Easy fix is drain/fill with water wetter (what I've done) at a minimum, then do the rest when $ comes up. The issue for me is the "while i'm there" cost which adds up.

The issue is that this can be a risk on the street too, take a nice hot day (like it is now in norcal) and you go on an onramp, leaks, you spin off into an area that's not as safe as track.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Out of curiosity, does this extend to the 991 GT3 cars - where they still glue fittings, etc? Or will it take time to tell?

It does not sound like it's Mezer specific, its manufacturing technique specific, just happens to be the screwup on the fittings is at the time the Mezer engines were in, or does that engine have special requirements for fittings, of which they tend to come apart?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-13-2015, 06:22 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Op glad things turned out ok.

Anyone know of any Bay Area shops with experience in welding the lines?
Old 10-13-2015, 06:58 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by eurotom
Anyone know of any Bay Area shops with experience in welding the lines?
Sharkwerks pins not welds but they're local to you, and they have some solid reasons regarding why they prefer pinning over welding. There are arguments for and against both methods, but bottom line is that you are trying to prevent a flood of coolant from dumping out with potential catastrophic end results first and trying to prevent seepage in general second, and both methods should stop this from occurring.

As for people who have done it one way and have had to do it the other way after failures, etc., and as to which method is preferred and/or better, seems jury is still out regarding that. People have differing opinions on what they swear by. But at least by getting one or the other done, you'll prevent the worst case scenario. Heck, some people get it both pinned and welded, and others even go so far as to get the fittings knurled.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems to happen on track. Not on the street.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:50 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1
Seems to happen on track. Not on the street.
Has happened to many (Inc me) on the street.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:32 AM
chriskuta
AutoX

Sorry dumb question perhaps, but why does water wetter help? Because it lowers operating temps and reduces the chance of failure?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:49 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I can't believe the amount and lack of understanding of this. Yes it affects all mezger blocks. Yes it happens on track and street. No it doesn't affect only cars that are tracked. Yes we have documented cases here for 100% street driven cars. No your car isn't special because you have 40k miles and no issues. No this does not affect 991 cars. They have their own issues.

And water wetter helps because it is not slick. The only thing it helps is when your car does dump coolant cars behind you won't start spinning. Coolant is slicker in the road and track than oil and there is a lot of it in these cars. I've seen it first hand a couple times on track.

Not pretty.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:55 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The question remains...why does Porsche not address this known problem. Might make one think that they have taken a cue from General Motors. Wait until enough people die to finally admit there's a problem that has been known for nearly a decade now...With the problems that VAG has had with the whole Dieselgate, the could ill afford major problems in the media due to this. If I was an ambulance chaser, I'd immediately start a Class Action lawsuit and start contacting every single news outlet possible with a video showing the dangers as I'm sure there are plenty of videos that show the aftermath of this. It's time for Porsche to stop hiding their heads in the sand about this VERY serious matter. Simply issue a recall and pin or weld them. It's really quite simple and can save people's lives.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:26 AM
chriskuta
AutoX

Originally Posted by Spyerx
And water wetter helps because it is not slick.
Thanks for the explanation makes sense.

Quick Reply: Another coolant pipe story...