Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 - Can't check oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:30 PM
sraz786
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 - Can't check oil level?

Red alert popped up indicating "Engine oil level is too low". It flashed a few times then went away. No noticeable difference in the way the car drives. Tried to check the oil level, car was sitting flat and idle. The read would start counting down but then would say that the measurement could only be taken while the car is idle, which it was. Tried it a few times, restarted the car, same thing. Now I'm stuck because I don't want to drive the car since the red oil level message popped up and I can't even check the oil level. If I take it for an oil change, how will they be able to top it off if they can't check the oil level either? Your help is much appreciated.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by sraz786
Red alert popped up indicating "Engine oil level is too low". It flashed a few times then went away. No noticeable difference in the way the car drives. Tried to check the oil level, car was sitting flat and idle. The read would start counting down but then would say that the measurement could only be taken while the car is idle, which it was. Tried it a few times, restarted the car, same thing. Now I'm stuck because I don't want to drive the car since the red oil level message popped up and I can't even check the oil level. If I take it for an oil change, how will they be able to top it off if they can't check the oil level either? Your help is much appreciated.
The electronic oil level sensor can act up/fail at any time. Generally it doesn't. When I looked into this some years ago the techs told me that they had replaced just a couple over the years under warranty. The failure mode is the inability to provide a reading.

(I bought a used oil level and temp sensor and cut it apart and have a better understanding of how it works and how it can fail.)

If I read your post correctly the sensor in your car won't provide a reading even though you are attempting to do this by the book.

Regarding getting an oil level reading, there are a number of differences between the various models and I have not kept up on all of them, so I am relying on you to know the proper steps and to have followed them.

It is unlikely the engine has lost all its oil. 9 quarts of oil just doesn't drain out all of the sudden and leave no sign.

So it would appear then the sensor is bad.

However, if you want to err on the side of caution have the car flat bedded to a dealer/indy shop. Of course advise the tow truck dispatcher the car needs a flat bed tow truck and the engine has an oiling problem and can't be started/run.

At the dealer/shop, there might be a way to confirm the level sensor is bad using the Porsche diagnostics computer.

If the sensor can't be determined to be bad via the computer at the dealer the procedure will be to drain the oil. Since the engine is cold this will likely be done over night. Then the next day the tech will fill the engine with a specific amount of oil, an amount specified by the factory for your model of car and its engine and after an overnight drain interval.

The tech will then attempt to use the in-dash oil level feature to attempt an oil level reading. If the reading is not forthcoming or the level reads wrong -- disagrees with the level it should display based on the actual amount of oil that was added to the engine -- the tech will probably recommend the sensor be replaced.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:51 PM
sraz786
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Macster. I had a sneaking suspicion that it could be the sensor. I had an oil change at GMG at just about 2k miles ago and find it hard to believe that the oil level would fall so low in such a short amount of time.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sor-fixed.html
Old 09-06-2015, 10:26 PM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

you can replace it yourself if you're a little brave:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sor-fixed.html

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 - Can't check oil level?