Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Opinion: Is this GT3 at a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015 | 12:39 AM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Opinion: Is this GT3 at a good price?

A friend is selling his 2008 Orange GT3 with ~60k miles. Service is up to date and clean carfax. I've always been a BMW guy so any advice on this car would be great.

2008 GT3 Orange on Black with PCCB. Porsche factory paint. Interior is carbon fiber with a few cracks. Also has a factory installed roll cage. Car will come with Porsche silver turbo wheels. I test drove and felt amazing, such linear power compared to my M4.

Price is $70k
Attached Images     
Old 09-02-2015 | 12:44 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

70k is fair price for a high mile gt3 like this... in this market at least
get a ppi from a trusted indie
those wheels are suspicious - way too much rim, way too little sidewall - ugh
Old 09-02-2015 | 12:59 AM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Thanks, yeah he said he would charge extra for those wheels and give me the stock turbo wheels. I'm Ok with that.
Old 09-02-2015 | 01:21 AM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you really hung up on the orange?

Browse this forum and u will find better deals given the milage and rims it cones with. For 80 k theres cars out there. Plenty of cars simply arent selling. So if u have the cash you have the advantage.
Old 09-02-2015 | 07:58 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

I would make sure the paint under the hood and roof is good!

It's a little known fact, but the "RS Orange" color that Porsche used on the in 2007-08 is no longer approved by the factory to use on new cars. It didn't meet the requirements for longevity. So keep that in mind when purchasing an orange car.
Old 09-02-2015 | 12:57 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

for 10K more i'd rather get a car that's has lower mileage and better taken care of. the wheels, vinyl roof and hood makes me wonder if anything is being hidden.

short answer is it a good price? no
is it a fair price - okay
Old 09-02-2015 | 01:49 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Much rather pay a bit more for a car without:

Vinyl that may be hiding something
Ugly aftermarket wheels; tires likely aren't appropriate OEM size
Ugly aftermarket painted brake calipers
Rough interior CF
High miles

Find a car with some miles that has had some recent service done - pinned coolant lines, etc. - and is stock apart from a bypass exhaust and you'll be better off.
Old 09-02-2015 | 03:02 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

lol at "high mileage" comments. Buncha wussies. Some of you have also posted on other threads about enjoying the car and not caring about miles but then i see some of you here and complain about miles
Only on rennlist.

As for who knows whats under the wrap. Cmon guys, b*tch comment IMO. If you are serious and everything else checks out, ask the seller to remove the damn wrap to evaluate paint. No need to create a fuss about wrap and speculation's BS. Don't be silly.
Old 09-02-2015 | 03:08 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

At $70k for 60k miles I'd say that's a fair price, not a "deal" but a fair price. I've seen some a hair over $70k for around 40 or 50k miles. That much miles shouldn't be too much of an issue given the mezger's history of reliability

Interior CF trim having some cosmetic cracks, big whoop. My cupholder is broken, who cares. I don't use cupholders to go any faster, you won't use the cosmetic trim to go any faster either. But I'll reiterate what other members said, I'd definitely get a PPI and get that vinyl properly removed and the paint underneath inspected, it's your friend so it's probably fine but you can never be too certain.

Alternatively take it to a competent, experienced shop to get a inspection done. I recently took my car to TPC and I just have to say that knowledge and experience and giving a damn about customers in general goes a LONG way. Tom and Mike found a few things that no other shop or even the dealer found, fixed everything right up. I did eat up their lift for a week though.
Old 09-02-2015 | 03:11 PM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
lol at "high mileage" comments. Buncha wussies. Some of you have also posted on other threads about enjoying the car and not caring about miles but then i see some of you here and complain about miles
Only on rennlist.

As for who knows whats under the wrap. Cmon guys, b*tch comment IMO. If you are serious and everything else checks out, ask the seller to remove the damn wrap to evaluate paint. No need to create a fuss. Don't be silly.
+1

I've got close to 60K miles on mine (bought it with 14K) and the engine runs just as good as it did day 1. If you trust your friend and he's on top of doing regular maintenance I think its a fair deal. '08 models are more rare, and so is the fact that it's orange (can't comment on the paint issue, first I've heard of it). The black wraps should be easy to remove, and the carbon fiber cracking is normal. I have the full carbon package in mine and even had the center console replaced at one time (under warranty) because of warping. And even though the calipers are painted, won't be difficult to fix (plenty of guys that track their cars get them repainted).

You should check the rotor wear because those will be costly to replace.
Old 09-02-2015 | 03:14 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by entityx
You should check the rotor wear because those will be costly to replace.
That's a good suggestion. Don't let it stop you from buying the car of course, but maybe knock another 1 or 2k off, and then go out and treat yourself to some nice two piece rotors.

This is something I wish I had thought of, haha. Found out during a dealer oil change/service inspection that my rotors had a good size lip on them. Good news is that my pads are in the "yellow" zone for life as well so, eh, I'll wait till the pads are dead and change to AP rotors and some pads to be determined.
Old 09-02-2015 | 07:31 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Wow, thanks for the advice everyone and keeping it civil in here. Like I said, I'm not too up on the nuances of the GT3 or most Porsches for that matter so every bit of info helps. I told my friend I'll think about it, I'm not too crazy about the color / vinyl / calipers and would prefer lower miles since the PCCBs will be costly replace; also he said he uses a buddy to do his service to save costs at the dealership right before we left... The whole drive home I was thinking that seemed sketchy

I've got to say though, the experience driving it was quite intoxicating and all the little things just seemed to go away.
Old 09-02-2015 | 08:05 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

I didn't catch the PCCB part. Have him knock off 3k instead then, people switch those out for 380mm steelies anyways.
Old 09-02-2015 | 08:17 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

the price is a littlw high all things considered. I wouldnt be afraid of the milage if the car was in tip top shape and had the oem wheels to boot and was priced a little better.

Quick Reply: Opinion: Is this GT3 at a good price?