Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2RS Stripper - Whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015 | 05:17 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
About $1k and your beat to hell track brakes can look new as delivered from porsche. Really.

end of day, it's impossible to know if a car was tracked if it's been maintained well. there are many, many indicators... but all can be hidden or fixed or replaced (of course assuming it wasn't wrecked). Underbody, brakes, clear bra to hide marks, windshields, carpets, suspension, wheel liners....

This is why you buy the seller & assume all these cars have seen the track unless you bought new or know the seller personally.
Lol...yup

In 2010 when no one knew these cars would go up in value...a lot of us were tracking them regularly..and lots of guys have two ECU. Come to the track, swap ECU with one tuned for race fuel...leave track put stock no over rev back in car...they were doing this for warranty, since some Porsche dealers were not warranty cars with over rev

I was lucky...my dealer didn't mind warranty with over rev

I had a crate transmission sent to me under warranty

Probably won't see this ever again

Look close to the back its juans now sold Mexico Blue 4.0
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2015 | 05:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

low option stripper RS are the desireable trailer queens of the future.
They are not something you would use to tour or daily drive today.
No radio and no A/C makes for a enjoyable short stint on a weekend but that is about it.

under 10k miles. One would want 150k-170k in todays market.
Old 08-16-2015 | 05:36 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
low option stripper RS are the desireable trailer queens of the future.
They are not something you would use to tour or daily drive today.
No radio and no A/C makes for a enjoyable short stint on a weekend but that is about it.

under 10k miles. One would want 150k-170k in todays market.
How about one with 27,000 miles...and air
Old 08-16-2015 | 05:50 PM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Lol...yup In 2010 when no one knew these cars would go up in value...a lot of us were tracking them regularly..and lots of guys have two ECU. Come to the track, swap ECU with one tuned for race fuel...leave track put stock no over rev back in car...they were doing this for warranty, since some Porsche dealers were not warranty cars with over rev I was lucky...my dealer didn't mind warranty with over rev I had a crate transmission sent to me under warranty Probably won't see this ever again Look close to the back its juans now sold Mexico Blue 4.0
Stock vs Track ECU? Clever. Any way to tell? I'm looking at a 3 owner car. Current owner likely has no idea what the prior owners did or didn't do to the car or ECU. I agree, there are many, many factors to consider when buying pre-owned and looking for signs of track use is critical in assessing the cars condition. I'm considering running this car thru my Porsche dealer. If PPI checks out, then I would agree to buy the car from them after they buy it from the owner and CPO the car for me. Cost will be $3k for Porsche CPO after all service is up to date and the tires and brakes have >50% life (car can't be modded, must be stock to engine/exhaust). Cost of the CPO would be less than replacing the RS engine if there is a problem.
Old 08-16-2015 | 05:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

How about one with 27,000 miles...and air
It has to be all of $150k

Actually, has any 3.8RS sold for under 150k in the last year regardless of mileage??
Old 08-16-2015 | 07:33 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 46 Posts

This is why you buy the seller
Exactly. Especially paying his type of premium for 7.2 RS, know what you are getting.
Old 08-16-2015 | 08:25 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Don't be scared of track use. These cars hold up FINE.

If your dealer will cpo as is with no repairs that is worth 3k. They will be required to service anything that doesn't pass cpo. This could mean rotors services tires etc. that will add up. If you will not drive car much you will probably not use it. In over 2 years I've had mine I had 1 thing go that would have been warrant. Pasm damper. $800. But also good for resale as cpo is transferable.

My advice is get it inspected. Dealer is ok. But shop that really knows gt cars is better.

To those who stopped tracking their rs.... Call me an idiot as I have no intention of doing less than 20-30 days a year in mine. It's why I bought it! Too many smiles. Until race car I guess. Then again I don't let myself get wrapped up in values... It's worth to me what I paid which is well... Hell not sure you could buy a 996.....!!!!
Old 08-16-2015 | 08:55 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

If your dealer will cpo as is with no repairs that is worth 3k. They will be required to service anything that doesn't pass cpo. This could mean rotors services tires etc. that will add up. If you will not drive car much you will probably not use it. In over 2 years I've had mine I had 1 thing go that would have been warrant. Pasm damper. $800. But also good for resale as cpo is transferable.

My advice is get it inspected. Dealer is ok. But shop that really knows gt cars is better.

To those who stopped tracking their rs.... Call me an idiot as I have no intention of doing less than 20-30 days a year in mine. It's why I bought it! Too many smiles. Until race car I guess. Then again I don't let myself get wrapped up in values... It's worth to me what I paid which is well... Hell not sure you could buy a 996.....!!!!
Try a race car, u will stop tracking your gt3

It's natural progression

oP...hope the car works out, sounds awesome

Spyrex...leave u with this
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2015 | 09:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,128 Posts

^^^^ it is taking much restraint. There is a fun looking e stock in the fs section.... Trying to keep this a relaxing hobby! Racing then becomes like work. Hyper competitive and not relaxing. To me!
Old 08-16-2015 | 09:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

This is exactly why these cars have become so valuable.
These cars car bang out 20-30 track days a year and keep on going. Legendary.

It is the legends that bring out the top dollars... i.e 73RS
Old 08-16-2015 | 10:16 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I was pleased to see Jenks beat the crap out of the car on the track. That's why I bought it.
Old 08-16-2015 | 10:18 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Meh this forum has turned into price questions.

Most folks parking them (myself included sigh)

Too bad these turned into collector items, they truly are amazing track machines and pretty crappy street / carsNCoffee cars - they are meant to be driven hard
Old 08-16-2015 | 10:21 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

I drive mine daily, kids' soccer games, grocery, cleaners, etc. and 10-12 HPDE annually. Things break, RMG fixes them. Just a car. A car that I'm going to keep. :-)
Old 08-16-2015 | 10:25 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Slowandsteady
I was pleased to see Jenks beat the crap out of the car on the track. That's why I bought it.
Go to my you tube channel Izzone74

Lots of videos with mike and I
Old 08-16-2015 | 10:27 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Go to my you tube channel Izzone74

Lots of videos with mike and I
Thanks! Looking forward to watching!

Quick Reply: 997.2RS Stripper - Whats it worth?