Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 Engine Drop

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 10:01 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 136 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 Engine Drop

I want to pin/weld my coolant fittings. Have been working on cars since 16 and have rebuilt my share of motors. Also a Mech Eng and enjoy being hands on with the car. I have a lift now and considering doing the engine drop myself and taking the parts to be welded at a shop that specializes in welding aluminum.

I know I'll need the vacuum assistance for recharging the cooling system.

Does anyone have a source for the shop manuals, or am I crazy for trying to do it myself.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:04 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its simple enough- just take your time and make sure everything is disconnected.

You only need a manual for torque setting really.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:39 AM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
I want to pin/weld my coolant fittings. Have been working on cars since 16 and have rebuilt my share of motors. Also a Mech Eng and enjoy being hands on with the car. I have a lift now and considering doing the engine drop myself and taking the parts to be welded at a shop that specializes in welding aluminum.

I know I'll need the vacuum assistance for recharging the cooling system.

Does anyone have a source for the shop manuals, or am I crazy for trying to do it myself.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
E

You can do it!!!! You've lifted heavier $hit before!!!lol

I did engine in pinning 2 months ago. Very easy. Took a few hours. .1 easier than .2 as you don't need to remove the thermostat housing to get the angle to drive the 3rd pin. Welding is overkill. Used the airlift system to refill. Very cool setup. Give me a call if you want to discuss tomorrow.

J
Old 07-12-2015, 12:51 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lmnsblu355
E

You can do it!!!! You've lifted heavier $hit before!!!lol

I did engine in pinning 2 months ago. Very easy. Took a few hours. .1 easier than .2 as you don't need to remove the thermostat housing to get the angle to drive the 3rd pin. Welding is overkill. Used the airlift system to refill. Very cool setup. Give me a call if you want to discuss tomorrow.

J
Ha! Yes WE have!!!

I'll give you a call tomorrow... Just need to get torque specs.

Figure this should do the trick.

Thanks J
Old 07-12-2015, 10:04 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Whether you end up doing an engine-in pinning or engine-out welding please document with pics and post back.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Evolved Rs
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

+1
Especially torque specs
Old 07-13-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Engine drop is pretty easy. Biggest difficulty if you are working without a lift (like me) was getting the car high enough to insure everything slides out after being dropped. My stands were low duty stands and couldn't go high enough, I had to go back and buy taller stands and re-adjust everything to get the car higher.

It's readily obvious when you start working on the car that a good bit of thought went into designing a car that was also easy to work on.

I found a PDF of the service manual online because my copy that I purchased on CD got scratched and ruined. In hindsight it wasn't really that necessary its' all pretty straight forward.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:52 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Engine drop is pretty easy. Biggest difficulty if you are working without a lift (like me) was getting the car high enough to insure everything slides out after being dropped. My stands were low duty stands and couldn't go high enough, I had to go back and buy taller stands and re-adjust everything to get the car higher.

It's readily obvious when you start working on the car that a good bit of thought went into designing a car that was also easy to work on.

I found a PDF of the service manual online because my copy that I purchased on CD got scratched and ruined. In hindsight it wasn't really that necessary its' all pretty straight forward.
Thanks... I see that I may have an issue with slipping the cats past the runways.

I'm considering other options (ie. doing it in the car as documented on this forum).

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 Engine Drop