Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Motul Gear 300 75-90

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:13 PM
T-Rex06
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Motul Gear 300 75-90

Hey guys, I'm replacing my transmission fluid and I know the majority of GT3 owners prefer Mobil Delvac. I'd like to know your opinions on the Motul Gear oil. I did do a search but I didn't find much info on Motul except for engine oil. Should I just stick with Mobil?

Thanks for your input.

Terrance
Old 07-07-2015, 07:30 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

I'd stick with Delvac. Another option I've tried with some luck is Miller Oil, but the guys who do this for a living (like Bill Rader) will recommend Delvac.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:47 PM
T-Rex06
Advanced

Thanks! I'll just order Delvac from Suncoast.

Terrance
Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 307 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rex06
Hey guys, I'm replacing my transmission fluid and I know the majority of GT3 owners prefer Mobil Delvac. I'd like to know your opinions on the Motul Gear oil. I did do a search but I didn't find much info on Motul except for engine oil. Should I just stick with Mobil?

Thanks for your input.

Terrance
matt @ guard basically said motul is better than delvac, but if you're always changing fluid, delvac is great for cost + performance. if money is no object, use motul.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rex06
Thanks! I'll just order Delvac from Suncoast.

Terrance
There are shops that carry delvac locally. Bbi, gmg,etc. suncoast prices are great but their shipping fees are very high.

Is this track use or street or both?

I use delvac and change when I change oil but that is for track use and it's probably too often but oil is a lot cheaper than a bill rader rebuild.

For street I think Matt tends to suggest the Oem oil.

Whatever you use change it often.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:44 PM
T-Rex06
Advanced

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to go with Delvac. I haven't had a chance to track the car yet, but when I do, I'd be changing fluid regularly, so from cost perspective, it makes more sense to go with Mobil.

Terrance
Old 07-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Post by Enthusiast in 2009:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt2-and-...ferential.html
Old 07-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Delvac was good, but once I switched to Millers Oil, I never looked back. WAY better cold start, and much better under heavy/hot track conditions. No comparison really.

Get the non-LS 75W90 NT......trust me.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:31 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

If cost is no object the best gear oil I know of is Lubrication Engineers Synolac. But you have buy it 5 gallons at a time for several hundred dollars. Better than Millers and Motul.

But it's all relative. It's like saying a gt3rs is better than a gt3. Or a 4.0 Cup engine is better than a 3.8 cup engine. They are all variations on a very high performance theme.

Run what you brung. Just service it often.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Chris in Japan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone ever heard of Power Cluster ?

My Indy used Power Cluster super racing 80w140 when changing my transmission fluid at the cost of $45/liter.....

He suggested it was better than the Motul.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:37 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been interested in engine/transmission lubrication since the '60's, but of course am no petroleum engineer. Followed the early synthetic oil experiences, and was in Germany in '70-'71 when Mobil one first came out there, and my Kitzingen sports car club started hearing about burned up Porsche engines running it. Put oil temp and pressure gages into my 250K mile VW Squareback motor. Tried various engine and Tremec oils for my prior Superformance Cobra, finding too much lubrication hindered the synchro action, settled on a custom blend for the transmission. Put in two oil temp gages in my Cobra, one out of the motor, the other into the motor from the cooler.

I run Redline in just about everything I have that has a gas motor. I too would want the best oil I could find for our GT3's transmission, and if there was some exotic expensive concoction of say, Sperm Whale oil, I would be tempted to use that. But in reality for me, I presume Porsche's engineers select the best oil for the expected use and ambient temps we are likely to use our cars. I really don't know how a driver can tell if one gear oil is better than another, regarding wear, because shifter ease and feel may not correlate well with what is happening to seals and wear surfaces. Perhaps only someone who re-builds race transmissions would have a valid opinion on gear oils, and that may only apply to race cars anyway.

When it comes to lubrication, i would suggest gear oils with the suggested viscosity and rating, from a reputable companies are pretty equal and up to the task. As with engine oils, it would be best to change it on a timely basis, to avoid shearing. Same as engine oils.

All the best...
Old 07-09-2015, 03:05 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 60 Posts

I actually used to work for as an industrial engineer for a large oil company in their downstream lubricants group.

Whatever you do, I would stick to larger brands, and avoid niche firms that don't have the equipment or testing capabilities to develop products properly. Motul and other big brands are just fine but I have seen test results for more niche players that were pretty appalling, that is if they aren't just white label products made by the big guys anyway...

I run Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic and have had good results (I run 5W50 in the engine).
Old 07-09-2015, 07:22 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

I have spent to much money rebuilding trannys (for track cars).

I have always had problems with non-OEM solutions - and costs was not the issue... The OEM fill with frequent change intervals is now my go-to approach... Far fewer problems

Ray

Quick Reply: Motul Gear 300 75-90