Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Car usage via DME

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 AM
agentf1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car usage via DME

I had a dealer tell me that if you divide the mileage by the operating hours you get the average mph and can tell what type of usage the car has had. For instance my car had 12800 miles and the dome report showed 379 hours meaning it has an average speed of 33mph. they then gave me the chart below to show usage.

0 - 30 Cars and Coffee usage
30 - 50 Highway miles/usage
50> Track usage.

Is this true or is this a rough guide to figure out how the car was treated? My car comes in low on the highway miles . Considering it had a rollbar in it when I bought it I suspect one of the previous 2 owners probably tracked the car at least a little bit. That said I am sure there are people/posers that installed the rollbar just for aesthetics. I am not worried about it at all since I have heard stories about cars with twice the mileage as mine that are ALL track miles with no issues.

Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Meh. Unless all track bs.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 AM
MGZT
Track Day

Nah, that doesn't make sense. Most freeway usage is around 60-75 mph already. Heck, I'm the slowest guy on the track and my corner speed at MSRH track was around 27-50 mph.

GT3 is made for track and it meant to be on the track so you need to be worried if the car was spent on the street all the time, not the other way around. As long as the rev range report is ok then you're good to go.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by agentf1
I had a dealer tell me that if you divide the mileage by the operating hours you get the average mph and can tell what type of usage the car has had. For instance my car had 12800 miles and the dome report showed 379 hours meaning it has an average speed of 33mph. they then gave me the chart below to show usage.

0 - 30 Cars and Coffee usage
30 - 50 Highway miles/usage
50> Track usage.

Is this true or is this a rough guide to figure out how the car was treated? My car comes in low on the highway miles . Considering it had a rollbar in it when I bought it I suspect one of the previous 2 owners probably tracked the car at least a little bit. That said I am sure there are people/posers that installed the rollbar just for aesthetics. I am not worried about it at all since I have heard stories about cars with twice the mileage as mine that are ALL track miles with no issues.

Thoughts?
Speed limit in Texas ranges from 75-85Mph, and most travel 90, which is higher than the average speed at most tracks I know of.

If it helps, I've heard of more engine issues with non-track'd cars (3.8RS). For the amount of miles most people will put on these cars, I don't think track time will have any impact on the reliability of the car if well maintained.

Interesting metric though - I'm grabbing my popcorn for the banter that's going to ensue. Tonight I'm going to leave my car idling overnight to start moving my ratio back down to.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Interesting metric though - I'm grabbing my popcorn for the banter that's going to ensue. Tonight I'm going to leave my car idling overnight to start moving my ratio back down to.
Ha, I like this idea...

To neighbors, "Don't mind me... I'm preserving value by polishing up my engine stats".
Old 07-08-2015, 11:32 AM
agentf1
Instructor

So it is dealer BS, pretty much what I figured. Yes, the car has a clean DME and was CPO's by Porsche, all is good. I am not worried at all.

Now my previous car/Z06 with the LS7 and rumor of valve guide issues... I was tired of wondering/worrying so I switched a Mezger. LOL
Old 07-08-2015, 11:52 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think you can just assume. Unless the car was trailered to the track and never driven on the street the average speed wouldn't be that high. Also think about all the time you are sitting in grid with the car just idling at 0 mph.

I wouldn't read too much into average speed.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by agentf1
So it is dealer BS, pretty much what I figured. Yes, the car has a clean DME and was CPO's by Porsche, all is good. I am not worried at all.

Now my previous car/Z06 with the LS7 and rumor of valve guide issues... I was tired of wondering/worrying so I switched a Mezger. LOL
Don't worry. Mezgers have their issues. Coolant pipes and exhaust cam tensioners on the .2 cars to name a couple.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:23 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Total garbage...

Quick Reply: Car usage via DME