Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Spare $60k: what would you buy as a fun car and possible investment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:40 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my son would agree with Terry about the Lotus Elise. He went from a cab 996 to a nice "tuned" Elise about two years ago, and just loves his little yellow car. Sport exhaust, track whees, instruments, and some other mods. Heck, we drove it to and from the Rolex a year ago, 7 hours each way. Once you get in the car, it is fun and fast and pretty comfortable. As a road car, sort of like a GT3, visceral, engaging, involving, lots of revs, and the Toyota based engine is easily sourced, should something go wrong.

And since there are fewer and fewer of them as time goes by, they too are slowly increasing in value. Again, sort of like our GT3's. He just loves his. And has a wife who drives and enjoys it too. Heck, even my daughter loves to drive it.

Like most of the replies to this thread say, hard to find now any car that is an investment, unless one deals with hyper expensive, rare Ferrari's and such. But most of us, at least Chris and I, are pleased to own cars, being second owners, which at least tend to hold their value pretty well.

Looking back over my own lifetime of sports car and Muscle Car ownership, sometimes I reflect that the single car I owned, bought new, which would have proven to be a great "investment", if only I could have bought then immediately properly stored it, would have been my '69 Dodge Charger R/T. No doubt, it would be worth at last 15 times now what I paid for it.

But then, I greatly enjoyed the 35K miles, I put on it, mostly in speed unlimited Germany. Sadly, I have only one picture of my big green/white stripe big-motor Dodge, sitting parked up on a sidewalk in Garmisch.

All the best....
Old 07-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
while CGT is holy grail, selling the FGT would be borderline stupid. u will regret. i say this, and i dont even like american muscle. sell a few others, then add CGT.
Very good point there. And if you have the special Gulf Craphics car. There is a lot of potential to the Ford GT in the US and English market's.

I can see the Ford being up there with the CGT in 10 to 20 or less years. It's funny how these market's roll. That's why I let the Mutual fund guy's do their work. Making a damn good amount over the bank's Saving's account. Portfolio is very conservative except the metual's. I just look at the bottom line and be happy with the return. I should have kept my Accounting Major and minored in Finance. But I had to switch to M.I.S.! It didn't take 12 years to get my Bachelor's for no reason. But we won't get into that - just glad I did all of it before I was 30. And alot of that was dropping out of all my classes in my CC days and getting placed on academic probation. And the odd year here or there of just working and no skewl.

/Back on topic
Old 07-12-2015, 02:35 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
while CGT is holy grail, selling the FGT would be borderline stupid. u will regret. i say this, and i dont even like american muscle. sell a few others, then add CGT.
The Ford Gt is like none other .The look ,the design so iconic!Just sitting in it is an experience.Driving is another world altogether.The Ricardo transmission is like no other.( Its same trans they used in the indy cars)Its raw unabashed fun like a GT2! The more you drive it the more you love it!
Second picture is on a closed road .FYI
Attached Images   
Old 07-13-2015, 12:25 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
Looking back over my own lifetime of sports car and Muscle Car ownership, sometimes I reflect that the single car I owned, bought new, which would have proven to be a great "investment", if only I could have bought then immediately properly stored it, would have been my '69 Dodge Charger R/T. No doubt, it would be worth at last 15 times now what I paid for it.
1960's American Muscle is probably not on the OP's radar, but from an investment standpoint, choosing the right one can be a blue chip based on collector car auction results over the past few years. There is a relatively huge buyer's pool for these things as compared to a $60K Euro used car that will likely continue to decline in value over the years.

I've had this one awhile...I seriously doubt that I'll lose any money on it when the time comes to move on to something else. It's fast and it handles and stops well after some modern tweaks here and there. An added plus is that Agreed Value Insurance and registration fees in many states are practically nil.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,622 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
The Ford Gt is like none other .The look ,the design so iconic!Just sitting in it is an experience.Driving is another world altogether.The Ricardo transmission is like no other.( Its same trans they used in the indy cars)Its raw unabashed fun like a GT2! The more you drive it the more you love it!
Second picture is on a closed road .FYI
i have no doubt.
so when i can come by to drive yours?

Quick Reply: Spare $60k: what would you buy as a fun car and possible investment?