Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Market

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonturbo
I also believe that if Porsche launches the 991.2 GT3 MT it will put a massive damper on the current GT3 market and there will be a lot of people ditching the old car for the new one.

991 GT3 is an amazing car, while the new engine isn't quite as "interesting" as the mezger, you won't find yourself missing it.

Porsche is smart, they are probably well aware that a market exists for 991 GT3 in MT, and I suspect they will eventually roll it out to capitalize on that market.

Porsche also putting downward pressure on older Porsches will expand their client base as the cars become more affordable.

Just sayin.
they were well aware of this while developing the 991.1 GT3 ... *and* they
also had the post-launch feedback that *might* have given them the opportunity to restart the MT development for the RS ... but ...

its not going to happen ... questionable that the 991.2 will continue to offer an MT option...
Old 07-13-2015, 10:20 PM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fivetwozero
I bought the 270k one.
Nice work! I suspect it'll be worth over 300k before the fall, if not already judging by recent US prices. lol
Old 07-14-2015, 01:01 AM
fivetwozero
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigmacsmallfries
Nice work! I suspect it'll be worth over 300k before the fall, if not already judging by recent US prices. lol
the longer you wait, the higher price you will have to pay.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:32 AM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

since RS cars seem to be the new investment vehicle (pun intended), i'm just going to wait for analysts to downgrade the RS and i'll buy on the dip.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:51 AM
mootsvamootsrsl
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been seeing 997.1 GT3s in the $100k range. Just saw a white one with 18k miles for sale at $118k in arizona
Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Asking and getting one's price are two different things. I was just perusing the adds in the back of a recent Panamerica mag, and just chuckled at the asking price of some of the older 996 cars. Want $50K for a run of the mill, high mileage 996 car? Really????

Now for our GT3's, I often remind my wife when she grouses about the money we have in our own '07 car, I remind her it is still worth what I paid for it.

Hopefully.......

All the best....
Old 07-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one in Az. has been there awhile...
Old 07-14-2015, 11:01 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the price for 997.1 GT3 is in the 80-90K range depending on mileage, PPI, welding or pinning already done. 95K would IMO be special, whatever that means.
I just sold mine and was asking 85K. Deal happened quick. PPI, paypal deposit; buyer and wife flew up from SoCal to Seattle and drove her back last weekend.
Car did great, reportedly. Selling price pretty close to asking.
Going to be selling some OEM bits soon.
I am driving the 991 GT3 more often now, even on track
On list for GR GT4 at MSRP; if it happens....great, if not, no sweat.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:59 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

If this continues I may have to break out the new GIF I made of my yellow lab
Old 07-16-2015, 02:06 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

I double dog dare you.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:56 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts
Default GT3 Market

I just don't see a MT 991gt3 happening, they sold all 991.1gt3 they could make and they are still selling used at MSRP. The list of people that wants 991RS is deep. There is really no reason at the moment to make MT for 991.2gt3.
I thought I wanted MT in 991gt3 but after I drove it, not so sure.
Still hoping for a 991RS track/cup edition. With PDK!
Old 07-16-2015, 11:55 AM
NAM VET
Pro

I often drive my wife's Mini (has the paddle shift auto), and our Acura MDX, the latter with a console mounted shift lever I can move to the left for "manual" shifting. Esp in traffic, so I can use a little more power without having to deeply press the throttle to make them downshift.

But moving back and forth between gears, without being able to put my hand on a manual gearshift lever, and hence instinctively knowing what gear I am in, in the Mini and the Acura I lose track of which gear I am in, and have to glance down at the dash gear indicator. With a manual, I never have to take my eyes off the road. But a PDK would at least eliminate the possibility of a "money shift."

As for "rev matching" downshifts, starting to appear on sports cars, while I learned I had to blip or heel and toe on my dad's '59 Anglia, and can do it effortlessly, and often enjoy the sounds of a crackling engine on the over-run, I think having a computer do it for me would be something i could get used to.

As I approach 68 years of age, I am finding that some of the things I have enjoyed, or at least tolerated in my younger years, from mowing the yard, to raking leaves, to even working and modifying my cars, are just not something I always look forward to doing now.

Now, reloading rifle and pistol ammunition is something I find relaxing and therapeutic. Made up about 300 round of 30-06 for my Garand yesterday, and today finishing up nearly as many 8mm for my '44 KAR 98 rifle. Next up is to put up about a thousand rounds of 5.56 and 30 cal M1 Carbine, for my '44 Inland.

For over a half century, I have never tired of shooting firearms.

All the best....
Old 07-16-2015, 04:32 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
I often drive my wife's Mini (has the paddle shift auto), and our Acura MDX, the latter with a console mounted shift lever I can move to the left for "manual" shifting. Esp in traffic, so I can use a little more power without having to deeply press the throttle to make them downshift.

But moving back and forth between gears, without being able to put my hand on a manual gearshift lever, and hence instinctively knowing what gear I am in, in the Mini and the Acura I lose track of which gear I am in, and have to glance down at the dash gear indicator. With a manual, I never have to take my eyes off the road. But a PDK would at least eliminate the possibility of a "money shift."

As for "rev matching" downshifts, starting to appear on sports cars, while I learned I had to blip or heel and toe on my dad's '59 Anglia, and can do it effortlessly, and often enjoy the sounds of a crackling engine on the over-run, I think having a computer do it for me would be something i could get used to.

As I approach 68 years of age, I am finding that some of the things I have enjoyed, or at least tolerated in my younger years, from mowing the yard, to raking leaves, to even working and modifying my cars, are just not something I always look forward to doing now.

Now, reloading rifle and pistol ammunition is something I find relaxing and therapeutic. Made up about 300 round of 30-06 for my Garand yesterday, and today finishing up nearly as many 8mm for my '44 KAR 98 rifle. Next up is to put up about a thousand rounds of 5.56 and 30 cal M1 Carbine, for my '44 Inland.

For over a half century, I have never tired of shooting firearms.

All the best....
I'm a Vietnam-era Army vet although my duty time was stateside. I was a UH-1 mechanic, then a Crew Chief. My dad was a WWII Marine Sergeant - 4th Marines (Saipan, Tinian, Iwo Jima) who, after the war worked for the FBI and then as a Field Engineer for GM. He was a hands-on car guy from way back and I inherited that trait along with his near-OCD work ethic.

Regarding antique military firearms - I am a big fan of WWII light arms, that was the Golden Age of wood and steel, no polymer. To me, this is akin to the 997 GT3 as compared to the Star Wars 991 version.

My small pre-1946 arsenal includes a 1945 Garand, two '42 Inland Carbines (one is an A1 Paratrooper), a M1903 Springfield that was built in 1905 and re-arsenaled in '42, A Yugoslav capture German 98K Mauser, and a 1940 Japanese Arisaka 99. I'm on the lookout for a nice British Enfield but I want a No.5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine" instead of the usual long rifle.

A few months back I acquired a nice AR from my brother, who built a custom one for himself. I installed a red/green dot laser sight, otherwise it looks like a military M4.

Back to cars....I'm a year younger than you and I also no longer have the energy or enthusiasm for yard work or major car projects. I suppose that is a function of the aging process. I recently finished a 3-year restoration and upgrade project on my '69 Camaro and halfway through the process, I realized that this would be the last one of several I've done over the years, some of which were Porsches. Now I'm content to do routine maintenance and cosmetic detailing, which like your ammo reloading, I find therapeutic.

After the Army, I worked my butt off in a high-pressure Corporate America job and was able to retire at 55. A GT3 became my all-time dream car and seriously, there is nothing else out there that I would rather have in my garage. Well, maybe a .1 RS pumpkin, but those no longer make logical sense financially.

And, last but certainly not least, NAM VET, I'm happy that your surgery went well and hope that your prognosis remains positive. I always enjoy reading your posts. If you are ever in the Atlanta area, look me up - steak and beers are on me.

Last edited by jackb911; 07-16-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:54 PM
NAM VET
Pro

well, thanks for your support Jack. The good news is that Chris called this afternoon, and will be able to be the driver for our Challenge run in early Aug after all, I will pick him up in Lincoln, and make a fast run out west.

I think I am about back to my pre-surgery fitness, I feel great. Will of course get more information about all this CA stuff, in about three months. Had a long serious talk with my wife this morning, about long and short plans for us.

I retired as a flight surgeon, and did jump a lot from UH's, and had some fun rides in them in my army years. Used to ride "shotgun" in OH6's and drop grenades down foxholes out in the Plain of Reeds in IV Corps. I quickly realized that this was more hazardous than I wished to participate in.

Maybe one of these days, we can meet and shoot somewhere between us, I'll bring my MK 5 Jungle Carbine, and "bring back" KAR, even has a serial number matching bayonet. Plus my other light arms. I have plenty of ammo made up for our guns, I tend to get anxious when my stock gets less than 20,000 rounds or so. Next up is to make up a thousand rounds for my M1 Carbine. It has to be about the most fun shooting a guy can have. Have plenty of '06 made up for our Springfields and Garands, too. Two different guns, need to use two different powders in them.

Son Chris has our GT3 down in Columbia, and is running down in it to Edisto beach tomorrow for a guy's weekend. He was nice enough to pay for the welding and other maintenance things that Zuffenhaus did on the car a month ago.

Life is good again,

all the best.....
Old 07-18-2015, 11:00 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a SY 996 GT3 with 25k miles. No track nor accidents.
It was my daily for a few years. Got my UV RS coming in Oct.

Quick Reply: GT3 Market