Classifieds Review of skillman

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:04 PM
split71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classifieds Review of skillman

997 GT2/3 members

I'd just like to share some experience dealing with 'Skillman' on Rennlist here in hopes that others strongly review their options before doing any type of transactions with him. He replaced his 997TT with a 3RS, hence why I am posting here.

I saw his for sale thread on RL for a set of wheels and promptly PMed him first as I've been looking for those exact wheels. I post in his thread claiming that I'll take the wheels with a PM incoming. I review the specs and his suggestion on somebody else running those sizes on the chassis I have. I agree that it looks fine and we settle on a price. I ask him to wait until that night or the next morning until I can validate my transfer of funds into Paypal so I can instantly transfer the money to him. They are cleared and I send them first thing yesterday morning.

Skillman decided to sell the wheels out from under me even though we had clear communication that I was transferring funds to my paypal so I can send them to him. He likely waited until somebody offered higher and just sold them without letting me know.

I find this as bad business and isn't what I expected out of somebody who pays for a subscription to post to the classifieds on a Porsche forum. Let alone a well known place for the community to exchange information, parts, and vehicles. I'm just sharing my experience and hope nobody else has to deal with the same type of transaction and/or person.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:16 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Did he say first payment gets it? If so then that's pretty cut and dry - if he told you sold to you then it's not good practice
Old 06-04-2015, 03:24 PM
split71
Racer

He did not mention first payment gets it.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Meh. **** happens. If he refunded you the payment I wouldn't get too much upset about it. Not worth it.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:59 PM
turbofever
Banned

the fs section creates a kid in all of us like Christmas and we all just want it all to ourselves. I am guilty of it too!

I agree he should have held them for you although without an actual deposit its a tough one as people commit and then disappear. if only you knew how many people contact me saying lets get a deal done and then disappear it drives.
me nuts.. but people do that..

I personally would relay to any buyer that its a first come first serve basis.. that's how the world goes around.. should be no different here.

if he took your money and then sold them to a higher offer that would have been wrong, not the case here.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:03 PM
split71
Racer

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Meh. **** happens. If he refunded you the payment I wouldn't get too much upset about it. Not worth it.
He did refund payment, that's not what is in question, it's how he went about his dealing that created this post.

Originally Posted by turbofever
the fs section creates a kid in all of us like Christmas and we all just want it all to ourselves.

I agree he should have held them for you although without an actual deposit its a tough one as people commit and then disappear. if only you knew how many people contact me saying lets get a deal done and then disappear it drives.
me nuts.. but people do that..

I personally would relay to any buyer that its a first come first serve basis.. that's how the world goes around.. should be no different here.
I agree, we all get that feeling a little bit! I've been through the same paces with buyers for 15 years online. I know the drill. Wouldn't you say it's fair that if somebody informed you an exact timeframe (within a day, possibly two as we all know how ACH transfers work etc.) to let somebody finish transferring their money in order to send it?
Old 06-04-2015, 05:33 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

1st w/cash wins

1 or 2 day wait, may result in the potential buyer "no showing" (then seller is potentially out from another prospect)

or, buyer was local, making an easier transaction

yes, this sucks (for you) but doesn't seem like any intentional malice
Old 06-04-2015, 09:44 PM
stilov
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry man.., I'm the one that linked you to that ad. I'll stay on the look out.

I've been on both sides. Times when a buyer swears he ll buy and then doesn't so I've made it a practice to always communicate 1st money wins. I hate holding things and losing other buyers. GLWS.

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
1st w/cash wins

1 or 2 day wait, may result in the potential buyer "no showing" (then seller is potentially out from another prospect)

or, buyer was local, making an easier transaction

yes, this sucks (for you) but doesn't seem like any intentional malice
Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 PM
split71
Racer

Originally Posted by stilov
Sorry man.., I'm the one that linked you to that ad. I'll stay on the look out.

I've been on both sides. Times when a buyer swears he ll buy and then doesn't so I've made it a practice to always communicate 1st money wins. I hate holding things and losing other buyers. GLWS.
Don't sweat it man! I was very happy to see others looking out for people on the boards (RL, 6SO, etc.).

I just want the RL community to hear my experience with this in hopes that other future parties reconsider based on his somewhat poor communication and bad business practices.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:34 PM
turbofever
Banned

personally speaking there are nicer wheels out there.. to me those wheels have fake lip
Old 06-04-2015, 11:14 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

That sucks, I'm sorry.

On the other hand I've been on the seller side as well, and dealt with one particular member who said he was going to get it, but then disappeared so that happens too.

No matter what, before proceeding with the sale he should have contacted you to confirm.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 PM
skillman
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry split71...I waited 2 days for payment. Not sure this is bad business practice...the first person with the money got them - same price. You could have backed out as easy as me selling to someone else. I was clear when I said hurry as several people were on them. In fact several people wanted the wheels but didn't come with the money. I promptly refunded your money. I will be clear next time...first person who pays gets the item.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:33 PM
skillman
Rennlist Member

Is this common practice? Not sure I've seen a post like this before.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:50 PM
skillman
Rennlist Member

Maybe I should post in the 996 board that split71 is a crybaby and don't sell to him? That would be just as ridiculous, no?
Old 06-05-2015, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

everyone has something to say and everyone has different practice. all good as long as it's clear.
personally as a seller i dont take deposits, even item as bit as whole car.
who's wire hits my bank first get its.
so make sure your bank wires on demand.
too many ppl back out on me before.

as a buyer, if i say i will buy, i will.
sometimes i tell many ppl i will buy the same items. and i do buy them all.
that's why i end up with all sort of SPARE.

Quick Reply: Classifieds Review of skillman