Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 summer refresh

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 997.2 summer refresh

After just over one year, 30,000 Kms and 15 trackdays, decided to have the motor dropped to have a look. There was nothing wrong with the car.

All the coolant lines got pinned and the Sharkworks pipes were installed. New spark plugs, new water pump, etc. Interestingly, the coolant lines seemed fine. No apparent sign of failure. Another data point to muck up the discussion.

New diff internals from Guard/GT was installed. My god what a difference. Been to the track once since the refresh and I could not get on the power early enough. Looking forward to some wet trackdays now so I can channel my inner Chris Harris.

Put in a new clutch and flywheel while at it. Decided to stay with the dual-mass. With all this talk of harmonics, I know enough that I don't know enough. So left well enough alone.

Strange feeling to spend all this money to replace things while technically nothing was broken.

Next will be the brakes. Changing from OEM and Pagid Yellow to Girodisc and PFC 08.

Finally, wanted to give a thank you to the guys at Scan Automotive. They have been great to me over the years and continue to deliver top-notch service.

Some pix for clicks. Pretty clean on the inside for a car that is driven rain or shine.
Attached Images      
Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds like a expensive preventative maintenance bill eeekkkkkk
Old 06-04-2015, 02:54 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Planning to do the same pretty soon... Not looking forward for the expense.

Kind of on the fence with all that's been said for the Light Weight Flywheel as well. Seems like an unnecessary nuisance for marginal performance gain.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:07 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question. Looking over the picture of the de-mounted motor, what is the cooler on top of the motor for? I believe the tall, vertical one at the front of the motor is for the transaxle, but what is the smaller, flat one with lots of plates for?

all the best.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

The big vertical thing is the oil tank and no radiator (dry sump).

The smaller thing is the oil-water heat-exchanger.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:23 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you do a LSD rebuild? Mine probably has 6-10 track days and still feels fine contrary to popular belief. Looking for more data points.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:34 AM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sin911
Planning to do the same pretty soon... Not looking forward for the expense.

Kind of on the fence with all that's been said for the Light Weight Flywheel as well. Seems like an unnecessary nuisance for marginal performance gain.
No doubt, it is expensive. But my diff was gone, so I decided to bite the bullet and get everything done at once. Also, the tracks that i go to are about 4 hours away and in another country, so a blown coolant line would be extra inconvenient. The dream is that the motor will not have to be dropped for another 100,000 Km.

I've only driven 997.1 with a LWFW and it is really nice. The extra chatter/noise is no big deal. To me, the gains are mainly for city driving. The car just revs up better and is easier to heal-toe at city speed. But that gain did not offset the potential/theoretical engine problem so I stuck dual-mass. On the track I don't think I miss it, its fun enough and I have plenty of other places to improve on.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:39 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Did you do a LSD rebuild? Mine probably has 6-10 track days and still feels fine contrary to popular belief. Looking for more data points.
I did. Went with Gurad/GT 40/60. They sent the internals to my local shop. Mine was very worn out. Just hooning around it would only leave one line coming out of corners. And for me, sliding through right hand corners was inconsistent. With the rebuild it is consistent throughout and just hooks up much earlier. At my local track, I can not get on the throttle much earlier.

Interestingly, under braking the car never felt that unstable. It was nothing like the open diffs I had in my 996. More stable not but not horrific before either.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by shotor
No doubt, it is expensive. But my diff was gone, so I decided to bite the bullet and get everything done at once. Also, the tracks that i go to are about 4 hours away and in another country, so a blown coolant line would be extra inconvenient. The dream is that the motor will not have to be dropped for another 100,000 Km.

I've only driven 997.1 with a LWFW and it is really nice. The extra chatter/noise is no big deal. To me, the gains are mainly for city driving. The car just revs up better and is easier to heal-toe at city speed. But that gain did not offset the potential/theoretical engine problem so I stuck dual-mass. On the track I don't think I miss it, its fun enough and I have plenty of other places to improve on.
My diff is pretty blown to crap as well. So def needs a rebuild. I hear you on the coolant line issue, and am terrified that it'll spit coolant on one of my rear tires and cause me to go off road (and also scared for other drivers too, don't need that karma).

The chatter is negligible as long as no cup shifter cables are installed. I've done a quick math and it adds up quickly if you want to add the LWFW on the .2's. The Clutch & FW approximately cost $3k, the damper is another $1k or so, if you get the updated actuators those run for about $4k. So you're looking at $8k before labor just for parts. That seems insane!

I'd rather get a nice set of coil overs instead of spending so much just on a freaking LWFW and have money to spare!

Quick Reply: 997.2 summer refresh