Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Our GT3 gets pipes welded

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:51 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Our GT3 gets pipes welded

We have had our '07 GT3 since last fall, now with 28K miles. But after reading opinions on pinning or welding the pipes, I decided to have them welded. But was concerned about welding aluminum and steel, so ordered the BBI set of aluminum pipes, and had them slightly machine off the sharper edges of the retaining lips on the pipes, to avoid possibly cutting the hoses. BBI came thru with a gorgeous set of new pipes for us.

Then, checked around for who could do this for our car, as we live near Charlotte NC, and heard good things about Zuffenhaus which is near there, went up and talked with Aaron, about what he suggested for our car, and made an appointment. With the advice of others on this forum, and his suggestions of what to do when the engine was out, he not only sent the coolant manifold and pipes out to a welding pro, and sent me pictures of the welds, which looked masterful, he also replaced plugs, coils, fuel filter, belt, and a weeping rear main seal. And bled the clutch and brake system, and I gave him a case of Redline 5-40 oil and filter. Plus of course the Sharkwerks pipe connector, and checked our limited slip, fixed a drooping radiator screen, and other odds and ends.

So I wanted to give Zuffenhaus an appreciation for what they did for our car. I'll go up and get it this coming week, as my surgery has been rescheduled for a few weeks hence.

all the best....
Old 05-23-2015, 09:04 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for you. That is being a good citizen.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:51 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like she's pretty sorted! That car is in great hands under your ownership.

Now that my Boxster S is sold, I need to get mine in for the same procedure. Just got my Sharky pipes in the mail/UPS. I just don't want to be without her!!! LOL

The only question is, how many miles can you get on your baby before your surgery???

Jon
Old 05-24-2015, 10:27 AM
Oliver911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine let go at mid-Ohio with only 19k on the clock so I'm not sure how much effect mileage has on the situation. After experiencing this, I realize I was pretty lucky in that I only did a 180 spin in the middle of a turn without any consequence to anyone or anything. In hindsight...I would pin/weld the pipes before ever tracking the car. There are enough risks on the track, why not eliminate the ones you know about.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I went ahead and got the Sharkwerks pipes and pined the rest.

These cars need them if they are on the track. They all fail. Not if, but when.

Great time to also do the plugs, coils and LSD.

Good as new
Old 05-24-2015, 04:36 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are in the process of being pinned as a preventive.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:59 PM
agentf1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this an issue on street driven cars as well?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

both but mainly track.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:49 AM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprised not more people are going for the knurling / JB weld option..
Old 05-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Gonzogonzilla
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a perfect day at Blackhawk Raceway, great dinner and camaraderie afterwards, my pipes blew on the way home, in the middle of nowhere. Luckily a PCA member I knew came to my rescue with a tow truck and a very nice bottle of pinot noir. I'm just grateful that it didn't happen four hours earlier, else it could have been bad news for all involved. I'd like to know what percentage of 997.1 and 997.2 GT3's have had this issue.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my tubes replaced with BBI tubes, then welded by someone who did it perfectly because I never, ever wanted to worry about them leaking or becoming disconnected. I am not one to take risks at this point in my life, for myself or others. A few thousands bucks to get our GT3 fixed is nothing compared to the value of the car and my life.

All the best....
Old 05-27-2015, 02:46 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzogonzilla
After a perfect day at Blackhawk Raceway, great dinner and camaraderie afterwards, my pipes blew on the way home, in the middle of nowhere. Luckily a PCA member I knew came to my rescue with a tow truck and a very nice bottle of pinot noir. I'm just grateful that it didn't happen four hours earlier, else it could have been bad news for all involved. I'd like to know what percentage of 997.1 and 997.2 GT3's have had this issue.
They ALL will have this issue. It's literally a matter of time. Glad it was just an inconvenience for you... and not 'bad'.

Regarding the knurl, jb weld... sure, that technique seems like it could work fine. But, you already have the parts off the car, why not weld with a competent welder? I used the bbi pipes also and they are way more stout than the oem pipes. Nicely made.

Anyway, bottom line is fix the pipes, pick a method, do it. I've seen a few blow myself, luckily with no damage.

Quick Reply: Our GT3 gets pipes welded