Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 to 991 GT3 - Would You trade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:18 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
ShakeNBake you are absolutely 100% correct.
I have seen what you have stated in my local track experience. That even with guys who have had a Sharky 3.9 who have gone on to purchase a 991 GT3.
No worries, my little" know nothing gets no respect" Champion Motorsport build that can't compare to other builds" can hang and deflate the 991GT3. I've done it locally.
All you members, did I say ALL, yes I said ALL, have given ZERO respect to the Champion Motorsport build. Honestly NO WORRIES i love being the underdog. As the saying goes ... it's not how big the dog is in the fight BUT how big the fight in the dog IS!!!!!!!!!
You want to talk about fight ... well I have just a little bit of experience in that, thanks US Army and US Army Rangers.

Once again I am just an impaired driver trying to lve a dream.

Ranger

I look forward to a build reunion. My little POS "Rodney Dangerfield gets no respect" build may have something to say about that ... but hey what do I know. I'm just an impaired driver trying to live a dream.
Where did anyone talk about shop builds being disrespected? This is a 991 vs 997 thread. We know your car is fast, we know it's nice. We get it....

You ALWAYS find a way to bring up your car. Even if the thread is about candy and strippers, you find a way to mention it. Like you have a complex about it. Let it go.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

S
I look forward to a build reunion. My little POS "Rodney Dangerfield gets no respect" build may have something to say about that ... but hey what do I know. I'm just an impaired driver trying to live a dream.
I look forward to this test too. Will be great to see what these builders are able to wring out of these cars. Not sure anyone disrespected champion or your car build though. I've seen the pics and specs you posted a while back and it looks well done you certainly can wheel the **** out of that thing.

Back to this 991 thing.... Nope wouldn't trade. I think I'd like one in the garage for something different to experience, but want an antique first. Will wait for these 991 to depreciate before grabbing one. . It's coming.

I am pretty sure the 991 is not going to make me a better driver. And that's why I do this, to learn. My car is plenty great for that.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:09 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

No chance. The 997 is a keeper. I'd add a 991 maybe but I can see leasing it and giving it back. They'll just be a revised one down the road that's faster, flappier and might even drive itself.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Where did anyone talk about shop builds being disrespected? This is a 991 vs 997 thread. We know your car is fast, we know it's nice. We get it....

You ALWAYS find a way to bring up your car. Even if the thread is about candy and strippers, you find a way to mention it. Like you have a complex about it. Let it go.
Hey Greek boy maybe you do not have a good comprehension of the language but if you READ ALL the threads all are about somebody else's build be favored.
But you know what ... who gives a $h!t ... you and all you buckys can accept or deny what you want buddy. I do no give a crap what you think. I wipe my a$$ with your comments.
You have a problem, well bring it. You have been stated to be such a Sebring awesome and killer lap timer. Oh wow???

Ranger
Old 05-11-2015, 01:57 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Even if the thread is about candy and strippers, you find a way to mention it.
I need to find the candy and strippers thread. Please share link!!!

My 7.2-3 is never going anywhere. Made a huge mistake when I sold 7.1-3 and bought Fiat. Should never have scratched that itch. Mistakes were made. When opportunity came up to buy my current car, I pounced immediately. Had deposit down on new 3 but just not interested in car that my girlfriend can put in "D" and drive to get nails done.

And to the poster who mentioned something about $ being the deciding factor for so many of us buying 7-3 instead of 1-3---um....No. Not even remotely correct. Haha
Old 05-11-2015, 04:28 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by K964

And to the poster who mentioned something about $ being the deciding factor for so many of us buying 7-3 instead of 1-3---um....No. Not even remotely correct. Haha
K964,

It was me and I am glad you have both the wear-for-all to buy what you want and have found your perfect car seeing theerrors of your.

But I am sure there are many pretenders and to admit publicly that finance was the issue not the pdk etc is forum suicide

I will admit I don't have the cash to stump up to a 991 3 let alone a RS.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Ur20v, at the ridiculous prices we have to pay to own these suckers here in Oz, you'd be excused
Old 05-11-2015, 10:17 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Hey Greek boy maybe you do not have a good comprehension of the language but if you READ ALL the threads all are about somebody else's build be favored.
But you know what ... who gives a $h!t ... you and all you buckys can accept or deny what you want buddy. I do no give a crap what you think. I wipe my a$$ with your comments.
You have a problem, well bring it. You have been stated to be such a Sebring awesome and killer lap timer. Oh wow???

Ranger
You need Xanax.... a lot of Xanax....
Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K964
I need to find the candy and strippers thread. Please share link!!!

My 7.2-3 is never going anywhere. Made a huge mistake when I sold 7.1-3 and bought Fiat. Should never have scratched that itch. Mistakes were made. When opportunity came up to buy my current car, I pounced immediately. Had deposit down on new 3 but just not interested in car that my girlfriend can put in "D" and drive to get nails done.

We'll start one up. Strippers with candy. Will be an all timer on rennlist.

So I am not the only one who sold his and had to buy back in. At least we both know how special these cars are. Glad you were able to grab another GT3. How do you like the .2 now over the the .1 you had previously?
Old 05-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny how this happens every time, no? 996 GT3 comes out, aircooled owners say "my car is more pure, the new one is too big / heavy". Then the 997.1 GT3 comes out, and 996 GT3 owners say "it's gotten soft, the new one is just a street car with fancy suspension bits". Then it's the 997.2 -- "yeah it's got more displacement, but the suspension is too compliant, the old car is more direct". Now the 991 is too much like a Playstation, automatics are for lazy drivers, etc.

Not disputing that the 991 is an easier car to drive fast -- and a 997.2 is easier to drive fast than a 930 Turbo. I watched people drive 991 GT3s all weekend at CotA and they are just /unbelievably/ fast. I probably wouldn't buy a '14 just because of the resale question, but there's no doubt in my mind that the 991 is objectively the better car of the two, and probably just as fun to drive fast. I'm keeping my 997 for now because it's a legendary car too, no doubt -- but I'm sure I will eventually make the leap.

Last edited by Shivatron; 05-11-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:39 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Shivatron
Funny how this happens every time, no? 996 GT3 comes out, aircooled owners say "my car is more pure, the new one is too big heavy". Then the 997.1 GT3 comes out, and 996 GT3 owners say "it's gotten soft, the new one is just a street car with fancy suspension bits". Then it's the 997.2 -- "yeah it's got more displacement, but the suspension is too compliant, the old car is more direct". Now the 991 is too much like a Playstation, automatics are for lazy drivers, etc.

Not disputing that the 991 is an easier car to drive fast -- and a 997.2 is easier to drive fast than a 930 Turbo. I watched people drive 991 GT3s all weekend at CotA and they are just /unbelievably/ fast. I probably wouldn't buy a '14 just because of the resale question, but there's no doubt in my mind that the 991 is objectively the better car of the two, and probably just as fun to drive fast. I'm keeping my 997 for now because it's a legendary car too, no doubt -- but I'm sure I will eventually make the leap.
I'd buy a 2014 in a heartbeat if affordable. I'd make the trade if it were me, even tho I don't want another black Porsche. I'd put a wrap on it right away that would preserve and protect the paint, and give me a better color.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:49 AM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the valid opinions so far; I tend to concur with the majority of what's been said here (save for some off-topic threads about special engine builds (???) / chatroom brawls etc...)

I have to be honest and admit that details like the fabulous new design, wonderful interior and that 9 Thousand RPM Howl in the 991 GT3 really really catch my attention; and also the fact that this car is a better DD than the 997.2 GT3. On the other hand; the 997.2 is a much more tactile / sensorial drive especially at non-warp speed RPM's, which is where we all really drive at when off the track, 99% of the time...
Old 05-11-2015, 10:50 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

We'll start one up. Strippers with candy. Will be an all timer on rennlist.
lmao...
Old 05-11-2015, 11:05 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtosune
Thanks for all the valid opinions so far; I tend to concur with the majority of what's been said here (save for some off-topic threads about special engine builds (???) / chatroom brawls etc...)

I have to be honest and admit that details like the fabulous new design, wonderful interior and that 9 Thousand RPM Howl in the 991 GT3 really really catch my attention; and also the fact that this car is a better DD than the 997.2 GT3. On the other hand; the 997.2 is a much more tactile / sensorial drive especially at non-warp speed RPM's, which is where we all really drive at when off the track, 99% of the time...
To sum it up for you,

If you DD your car buy 991gt3
If your 997 is like you said 99% street and only driven on weekends I would keep it!
Old 05-11-2015, 05:12 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

So I am not the only one who sold his and had to buy back in. At least we both know how special these cars are. Glad you were able to grab another GT3. How do you like the .2 now over the the .1 you had previously?
I didn't buy the same car but upgraded to a .2 after owning an M3 for over a year.

The .2 has more torque (power, grunt, what ever you'd like to call it) down low and mid range. The suspension is more compliant, better dampened and less twitchy. The car certainly feels more planted and stable.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 to 991 GT3 - Would You trade?