Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Alignment

Hello,

I'd like to get my alignment done since I just replaced the 2 front tires-rears are about 6 months old and in good condition. I can go to the dealer but would prefer a specialized shop or one that people here can recommend. I did search the forums, and apparently some places don't exist anymore.

I know Orbit is highly recommended but it's a fairly far drive for me. I'll call NGT since it was also recommended in past discussions. If there's anything in the Miami area it would be nice, I would prefer not to drive 2 hrs away.

Might have to go to the dealer

Thanks,

John
Old 04-16-2015, 03:43 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

So I might try the dealer then...

No suggestions?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:29 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no idea who in your area is competent to set up your car, but I suspect your choice is an appointment with some race shop, or your dealer. As for the dealer, a year ago, I was up at Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, and the alignment rack is right next to the parts counter. The mechanic said he was having a really hard time trying to set the specs on a Turbo that had some assortment of aftermarket suspension parts.

So I suppose if you talk with your local dealer about what you want, and ask "appropriate" questions you can get your alignment done to your satisfaction. Maybe a better choice than some distance drive to a race shop. I think a typical cost is about $250 or so. If you have aftermarket suspension components, perhaps a race shop is your best bet.

All the best...
Old 04-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on what you are doing with the car.If its primarily a street car I would just go to some local shop that knows GT3s might be the dealer might be someone else .
I usually walk into a place like that with a clear idea of what I want and there is lots of information on Reenlist about alignment specs.
Be aware that the car is super sensitive to alignment .
If you are tracking the car then I would go to Orbits or some other race shop and have them put the best string alignment on it they can with a corner balance .
Old 04-17-2015, 03:12 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Since it's street I'm thinking of going to the dealer, but then again I would hope that a shop like Orbit would allow me to follow the process(or maybe they wouldn't allow watching)

Thanks
JB
Old 04-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Don't forget to be sitting in the vehicle

when they do the alignment --it makes a difference !

Old 04-17-2015, 03:32 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Since it's street I'm thinking of going to the dealer, but then again I would hope that a shop like Orbit would allow me to follow the process(or maybe they wouldn't allow watching)

Thanks
JB
If you're looking for a dealer with great knowledge and reputation with GT cars Champion isn't too far away from you.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:49 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Try Champion Motorsports! Really professional crew, do great work. They're closer too.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:09 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 266 Posts

Champion and Orbit are both great choices. But an additional advantage to Orbit is that they seem to be at every track event in FL that I've ever been to. They set up my 996 race car, brilliantly I might add, and they have also been there to help me a couple of times at the track when I had an unexpected problem. Even though I was not their client that day. Great folks over there!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:22 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experimented a lot with aligning my car over the past 3 years of ownership. It is in my nature to try and figure things out myself by seeking advice here and from knowledgeable pro's to get a full understanding of the process and not blindly rely on others. Call me suspicious (or cheap, whatever!).

Many people here are comfortable doing work on their cars (eg. an oil change or brake pads), but there seems to be this great mystique about alignments.. I don't think that is justified.

All you need is a well calibrated modern (laser level type) alignment rack which most regular shops have checked out a couple of times per year for levelness and accuracy, and a spec sheet of your desired settings. Beyond that it's not rocket science; you're either within spec or you're not.

Our cars have trouble getting on some of these racks (low nose) though, so I peel off the front lip before driving on. That's about the biggest concern I have. I take it to NTB or the local muffler shop across the street. They do a great job as long as you're allowed to follow them into the shop and check on their progress. Sometimes the tech will have trouble tightening the bolts (camber & toe in particular) while remaining within spec, and they may need to redo it a couple of times. Just tell them you're not satisfied until all parameters meet your indicated settings.

Now, if you want it corner balanced properly, that's where it gets tricky and I only rely on a pro (Jim at MSR-H is a good one in the Houston area).
Old 04-29-2015, 11:16 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Car is at the dealer getting the alignment done. While there I asked to check the front lift since I've had the Lift Malfunction light come on every now and then. They are replacing the module, even though the lift worked perfectly yesterday. In the past year I've had the lift work but Lift not show up in the instrument cluster. So it's a good thing I brought it in, warranty takes care of the lift problem.
And if replacing the module involves taking suspension parts off, maybe it means a free alignment after replacement???
Old 04-29-2015, 09:24 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Front lift module had to be shipped from Germany, not available in Atlanta, cover under warranty-
If it's the entire front lift system being replaced, I imagine a lot of the front end has to be disassembled? So it was a good thing I brought it to the dealer
Old 05-01-2015, 01:11 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Picked up the car this afternoon, feels good-
Front lift functioned properly in the shop...so no repair done
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Alignment