Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

.1 Adjusting sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:47 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
Default .1 Adjusting sway bars

How do you guys adjust the sway bars on your .1 cars. Do you need to jack up one side, both sides or just crawl under and undo the end link and move it to the desired hole one side at a time?

I'm fighting some mid corner oversteer, right now my rear bar is set at full stiff, want to soften it 1 or 2 holes.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

if you only have one corner in the air there will be load on the bar and you won't be able to move the links.

So either on the ground or with both rear tires in the air. Both in the air saves headaches and if the car is warm will probably save you from burning yourself.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:42 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
How do you guys adjust the sway bars on your .1 cars. Do you need to jack up one side, both sides or just crawl under and undo the end link and move it to the desired hole one side at a time?

I'm fighting some mid corner oversteer, right now my rear bar is set at full stiff, want to soften it 1 or 2 holes.
Strange - I bet its your alignment not the bar. What is your rear toe?
Old 04-14-2015, 03:16 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Strange - I bet its your alignment not the bar. What is your rear toe?
Good question, I need to get it on a rack and see. Probably needs more rear toe in.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:16 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
if you only have one corner in the air there will be load on the bar and you won't be able to move the links.

So either on the ground or with both rear tires in the air. Both in the air saves headaches and if the car is warm will probably save you from burning yourself.
I have a set of ramps so I'll probably back the car up on the ramps and do it. Once I get the nut off the end link it should pull out freely and be easy to move to the next hole without much force right?
Old 04-14-2015, 03:25 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^ u need to unload the rear via jack stands to adjust swaybars. Putting on ramps is the same as if on ground. Like someone mentioned your toe maybe off or flexing to cause mid corner oversteer. Mike
Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 PM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I have a set of ramps so I'll probably back the car up on the ramps and do it. Once I get the nut off the end link it should pull out freely and be easy to move to the next hole without much force right?
That will work. You don't need to unload the rear wheels, the load just needs to be even side-to-side. At the track I usually just drive onto the (open) trailer to adjust.

I would adjust the sways before you mess with the alignment. If it's full stiff in the rear then oversteer is unsurprising, and it takes minutes to adjust. If you move it one or two holes and it still feels weird then get it lined up.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:55 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Ramps or jack up each side and put two 2x4s under tires. Enough room to slip under and adjust. As folks said the tires just need to be loaded evenly to adjust.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Per previous posts, jack up or use ramps or trailer so both sides are at the same elevation. There should be no load from the bars as you disconnect the drop link. If there is load and you have adjustable drop links adjust them to remove preload. I would move only 1 hole and try it. Toe could be an issue if there is any toe out. I would also look at tire pressure and tire temperature.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:20 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by RamVA
That will work. You don't need to unload the rear wheels, the load just needs to be even side-to-side. At the track I usually just drive onto the (open) trailer to adjust.

I would adjust the sways before you mess with the alignment. If it's full stiff in the rear then oversteer is unsurprising, and it takes minutes to adjust. If you move it one or two holes and it still feels weird then get it lined up.
Thanks, it's not terrible just a little looser than I like. I may move it one hole and try and if it's still too loose I'll realign.

Quick Reply: .1 Adjusting sway bars