Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Advice on Garage Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:43 PM
aircavscout
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Garage Equipment

Looking to pull trigger on some garage hardware for personal use... Realize the wealth of info from the members here so thought I would ask for some advice..

I spend 5-700 dollars a year on tire mounting with the 7-9 cars ... ($580 -2014) Track tires, off road tires, normal wear tires, tractor tires balancing etc...

Also, just generally fed up with having to find someone when I buy tires on line and the drama you go through with the tire installer being pissed you did not purchase from them...

I want to put my own tire machine and balance machine in my garage. I see them running for 2-3K dollars.. Here is an example up the road in Cincy...

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/aos/4887559304.html

Anyone have something set up in there garage you would recommend or anything I need to consider when buying.. Obviously everyone I have talked to so far says the machine they are selling can do everything.... Thanks
Old 04-06-2015, 04:08 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

i don't think you can go wrong with coats, i have a 'ranger' cheapie probably made in china that has performed very well. The issue has been the balancer, i have a complementary simple balancer that works decent and was probably in the $1500 or less range. I will be looking for a road force balancer machine.($$$) The issue i noticed with the changer is the low profile larger rim size (18 inch) plus are a bear to do, they require some muscle and a warm tire, so winter changes require me to heat up the tires. I m inquiring re a road force machine, for high speed work, I would recommend a higher end balancer. Mine does trailer tires fine ect. but it is hit or miss re the sports car tires.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:18 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

do you have a good air compressor?(quiet), do you have a lift?
Old 04-06-2015, 04:36 PM
aircavscout
Instructor

Inside the garage..

I have a good 60 GAL / 240 Volt air compressor and all the other equipment you could possibly want in a garage... The only exception is the lift... When I built the garage I went with a room upstairs for office storage.. I could get one of those SCISSOR lifts to fit but for now I just use the old floor jack..

SO, they can set me up with tire changer and balance machine for 3500.. They tell me it will work on my big 38 inch Mud Tires on my truck.. Does anyone have any experience with all the CHINESE knock off machines... ? I generally will not go the penny wise and dollar dumb route... But, have had some luck with other stuff here and there..
Old 04-06-2015, 04:57 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

3500 sounds reasonable. I have ranger, i think sold through northern hydraulics and the like, also maybe garage equipment supply, we have had no issues. Nice garage!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:01 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a tire mounter, but I have found it to be a PITA to mount track/race tires and run flats. Everything else, fine, but that killed some of the economics for me. The struggle to mount those tricky tires I prefer leaving to the pros who do it every day and have better equipment.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:53 PM
porcha monkey
Rennlist Member

no matter what tire machine you get make sure it has the extra "hold down arm". It will save you a ton of time and effort when doing any low profile tire. We had a Corghi Artiglio master at the shop which worked pretty well but it needed to be adjusted every so often.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:18 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

[QUOTE=porcha monkey;12183977]no matter what tire machine you get make sure it has the extra "hold down arm". It will save you a ton of time and effort when doing any low profile tire. We had a Corghi Artiglio master at the shop which worked pretty well but it needed to be adjusted every so often.

i already have a nice corghi balancer machine with computer- 2012 year that my friend sold me for fairly cheap

im now looking for the tire machine

which corghi model do you recommend me?
Old 04-07-2015, 02:05 AM
porcha monkey
Rennlist Member

we used the artiglio master 500. Great machine but quite expensive. You really can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturer machines. Coats, Hunter, Corghi etc... they all have positives and negatives to them. For the shade tree mechanic just find a good used machine on craigslist that has the extra arm and call it a day. No need to spend crazy money on a machine that you're gonna barely use. i personally like the machines that clamp from the hub center compared to the ones that clamp to the lip of the rim, less chance of damage.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:48 AM
aircavscout
Instructor

I like you point about clamping from the HUB... Driving over the the supplier tomorrow and look at options and run some equipment..

What are the specific challenges on the RACE TIRE mount that is different from a HanKook R-S3? Perhaps I am missing something... Always like to think I know some stuff but learn things from Rennlist all the time...
Old 04-07-2015, 06:20 PM
porcha monkey
Rennlist Member

most low profile tires will be tricky. Thats why its important to have that extra arm, a tire iron, maybe some of those bead hold down clamps and lots of proper lube. most importantly proper training on how to properly mount/dismount a tire. Plenty of youtube vids to help with that. Also, a bead bazooka works wonders when trying to seat those tough tire beads
Old 04-07-2015, 07:20 PM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 04-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

corghi artiglio 50, how much can i get that for in the usa? anyone can help

my local dealer is asking big money $$$

Quick Reply: Advice on Garage Equipment