Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Great review and awesome video. I loved the hot lap at the end
Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I like the GT3 but certainly not anywhere near as much as the OP does apparently. This may be blasphemy and reading posts like this on the board probably puts me in the minority but how can you say it's the best when the nature of the car (when driven at the limit on track) is turn in understeer followed by a good bit of oversteer? To me that's not the ideal balance for a sports/track/race car. Although the overall performance wasn't nearly as high I much preferred the balance of my Cayman S or supercharged Elise.
You missed the point completely. Under / over steer whatever - it's about how this GT3 makes you feel. All 997.1 owners can relate to the OP's post. He nailed it in words what this car means to us. It's not a perfect car by no means, but nothing comes remotely close to this connection between a human and a machine. It's raw, it's sick and a handful. Welcome to the last raw crazy fast hot rod made by Porsche. All I can say is the right people came together at the right time and did something right on! Blessed to own one.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:00 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Runner
You missed the point completely. Under / over steer whatever - it's about how this GT3 makes you feel. All 997.1 owners can relate to the OP's post. He nailed it in words what this car means to us. It's not a perfect car by no means, but nothing comes remotely close to this connection between a human and a machine. It's raw, it's sick and a handful. Welcome to the last raw crazy fast hot rod made by Porsche. All I can say is the right people came together at the right time and did something right on! Blessed to own one.
Jeez talk about over romanticized, it's just a car (a pretty damn good one) but it's not a hot Swedish supermodel that cleans and cooks 5 star michelin restaurant meals. A car that is well balanced and lets me drive 10/10 at the limit with confidence makes me feel good. A car that makes me frustrated when it won't turn in and then tries to kill me mid corner makes me nervous. Not saying it's not raw, loud, good looking and usually a lot of fun to drive but the way people talk around here you'd think someone should start a religion around these things and the mention of a gt3 makes you automatically jizz your pants.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM
BeakerGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the GT3 but certainly not anywhere near as much as the OP does apparently. This may be blasphemy and reading posts like this on the board probably puts me in the minority but how can you say it's the best when the nature of the car (when driven at the limit on track) is turn in understeer followed by a good bit of oversteer? To me that's not the ideal balance for a sports/track/race car. Although the overall performance wasn't nearly as high I much preferred the balance of my Cayman S or supercharged Elise.
Well, add me to the list.

I very much enjoy my GT3, but my heavily mod'd Cayman S put the handling of the GT3 to shame...compared to a stock GT3. That said, the GT3 is now getting the equivalent of what I did to the Cayman and when favoring in the DSC, I will have a better perspective of like:like...although a mid-engine platform is hard to beat.

I pushed the Cayman to the limits of bolt-on for power without a turbo or opening up the motor...and I missed the manual gearbox (to a point) and do LOVE the sound and heritage of the GT3

All said and done, it's a great, fun car but I'm not sure I get the "ZOMG I would marry this car" reaction...

So, to get it to that point, I'm upgrading the suspension and moving to a Sharkwerks 3.9L. If that doesn't make me dry hump the fenders you have my permission to beat me with a tie rod end.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:52 PM
mikesufka
Intermediate

To OP -

Congrats and great write up. I bought a white 997.1 GT3 last fall from Jakes Motorcars and absolutely love it. I get a grin every time I turn the key on.

MDS
Old 03-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeez talk about over romanticized, it's just a car (a pretty damn good one) but it's not a hot Swedish supermodel that cleans and cooks 5 star michelin restaurant meals. A car that is well balanced and lets me drive 10/10 at the limit with confidence makes me feel good. A car that makes me frustrated when it won't turn in and then tries to kill me mid corner makes me nervous. Not saying it's not raw, loud, good looking and usually a lot of fun to drive but the way people talk around here you'd think someone should start a religion around these things and the mention of a gt3 makes you automatically jizz your pants.
You ever owned a GT3.....Go buy one and feel the jizzzzzzz....

Faster cars sure. More well balanced cars...... Yep. More fun to rip around a country road or a track day.... Not for me.

Let the guy love his car, that's what Rennlist is all about.

If it bothers you so much go back to the cayman/GT 4/BMW chat and talk about balance and the under powered 10/10 confidence experience.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:05 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

OP: Excellent Write-up !" Perfect summary of what a 997 GT3 transmits; for those who've experienced it on a regular basis. Tks for this.

Congrats on the beautiful White GT3.

PS: Great video, by the way.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:17 PM
driveopolis
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words!

Interesting discussion re: the GT3's flaws. I think this goes back to my feelings about the GT3 being tuned in such a way as to make no apologies about its deficiencies. A regular 911 tries its best to hide its 911-ness. The GT3 does not. In fact, it brags about it and talks to you about it and embraces it. THIS is what makes the GT3 awesome. It's bold, it's brash and it's full of character. Driving experiences in the modern world have become completely generic and devoid of flavour. This is the antidote. I don't drive a GT3 expecting perfection; I drive it expecting an unforgettable experience. This, it delivers in spades.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa
Thanks for all the kind words! Interesting discussion re: the GT3's flaws. I think this goes back to my feelings about the GT3 being tuned in such a way as to make no apologies about its deficiencies. A regular 911 tries its best to hide its 911-ness. The GT3 does not. In fact, it brags about it and talks to you about it and embraces it. THIS is what makes the GT3 awesome. It's bold, it's brash and it's full of character. Driving experiences in the modern world have become completely generic and devoid of flavour. This is the antidote. I don't drive a GT3 expecting perfection; I drive it expecting an unforgettable experience. This, it delivers in spades.
THIS!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
You ever owned a GT3.....Go buy one and feel the jizzzzzzz....

Faster cars sure. More well balanced cars...... Yep. More fun to rip around a country road or a track day.... Not for me.

Let the guy love his car, that's what Rennlist is all about.

If it bothers you so much go back to the cayman/GT 4/BMW chat and talk about balance and the under powered 10/10 confidence experience.
I own a 07 gt3 currently, I'm just objective about it. Some of you need to stop dry humping your cars and get a hooker or something.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I own a 07 gt3 currently, I'm just objective about it. Some of you need to stop dry humping your cars and get a hooker or something.
I think we're all very objective.

Name me one other car made that is worth almost what you paid for it 7 years later. I love the threads that bitch about asking prices for GT 3's.
3 years from now an 07 GT3 will be over its original MSRP. I guarantee it. My 10 is worth more than its original MSRP and going up.

Not to mention the 4.0.....

My 09 M3 I paid $30k for. Sold new for around $67k. Great car but no Gt3.

Cayman S from 07 can be had for $25k. Less than half its asking price.

There is a reason the GT 3 is worth what it is worth. Race car detuned for the street. Built in limited quantities by the #1 race car company in the world.

Name me one other car that even comes close in RD and race proven technology. It's the pinnacle of porsche over the last 30 years.

From your comments I doubt you have had your GT 3 very long. Probably got tired of them blasting by you on the track at 8/10ths out of control with the *** end hanging out around every corner.

Just like a Hooker you get what you pay for.

Enjoy your 07 GT 3.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I like the GT3 but certainly not anywhere near as much as the OP does apparently. This may be blasphemy and reading posts like this on the board probably puts me in the minority but how can you say it's the best when the nature of the car (when driven at the limit on track) is turn in understeer followed by a good bit of oversteer? To me that's not the ideal balance for a sports/track/race car.

Although the overall performance wasn't nearly as high I much preferred the balance of my Cayman S or supercharged Elise.
Well, if you like 911s it is a dream car.

you can tune alot of the understeer out of a 911. The rear traction on exit is somthing you cannot easily tune into a front engine car however....

The steering feel and grip is what does it for my on a 911. The GT3 has it in spades. The engine sound is the bonus.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
I think we're all very objective.

Name me one other car made that is worth almost what you paid for it 7 years later. I love the threads that bitch about asking prices for GT 3's.
3 years from now an 07 GT3 will be over its original MSRP. I guarantee it. My 10 is worth more than its original MSRP and going up.

Not to mention the 4.0.....

My 09 M3 I paid $30k for. Sold new for around $67k. Great car but no Gt3.

Cayman S from 07 can be had for $25k. Less than half its asking price.

There is a reason the GT 3 is worth what it is worth. Race car detuned for the street. Built in limited quantities by the #1 race car company in the world.

Name me one other car that even comes close in RD and race proven technology. It's the pinnacle of porsche over the last 30 years.

From your comments I doubt you have had your GT 3 very long. Probably got tired of them blasting by you on the track at 8/10ths out of control with the *** end hanging out around every corner.

Just like a Hooker you get what you pay for.

Enjoy your 07 GT 3.
GT3 is about 80% of new MSRP right now if you're being generous. The second Porsche makes another manual GT3 based car the bubble will burst on all these 996/997 cars and I hope I've sold mine before then.

You are comparing mass produced cars to limited production cars. My last two cars actually held value as well the GT3.

Elise was around 40K new in 05. I sold mine 2 years ago for 32K, now it's climbed back up to about 37-38K for a clean one.

2010 GT-R was around 81K new, sold it nearly 5 years later for 64K.

If you want to talk about limited production cars, the 2005 Ford GT blows the GT3 out of the water for resale price. 20 year old E30 M3's are bringing 50K, BMW 1M coupes with low miles are trading hands at or near original MSRP, most the limited edition Ferraris are at or above 80% of original MSRP. Resale value doesn't make a car great or fun to drive it just makes them collectible.

P.S I think many would argue Ferrari beats Porsche for R&D and race derived tech hitting their street car products. How many F1 world championships has Porsche won?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:57 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Well, if you like 911s it is a dream car.

you can tune alot of the understeer out of a 911. The rear traction on exit is somthing you cannot easily tune into a front engine car however....

The steering feel and grip is what does it for my on a 911. The GT3 has it in spades. The engine sound is the bonus.
On a serious note, I would love to hear about how to tune understeer out of the GT3. Seems difficult with all the weight in the back and a 70mm tire stagger from the factory. If the car would turn in more crisply immediately it would be much more fun. Can't argue about the engine sound with a muffler bypass.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 03-19-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

GT3 is about 80% of new MSRP right now if you're being generous. The second Porsche makes another manual GT car the bubble will burst on all these 996/997 cars and I hope I've sold mine before then. You are comparing mass produced cars to limited production cars. My last two cars actually held value as well the GT3. Elise was around 40K new in 05. I sold mine 2 years ago for 32K, now it's climbed back up to about 37-38K for a clean one. 2010 GT-R was around 81K new, sold it nearly 5 years later for 64K. If you want to talk about limited production cars, the 2005 Ford GT blows the GT3 out of the water for resale price. 20 year old E30 M3's are bringing 50K, BMW 1M coupes with low miles are trading hands at or near original MSRP, most the limited edition Ferraris are at or above 80% of original MSRP. Resale value doesn't make a car great or fun to drive it just makes them collectible. P.S I think many would argue Ferrari beats Porsche for R&D and race derived tech hitting their street car products. How many F1 world championships has Porsche won?
You should just sell your gt3 and get that carbon M. You would be much happier and spare us all your negativity.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3 is the car I've been searching for my whole life