Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Exhaust (?) rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Exhaust (?) rattle

I am experiencing a "rattling" that no one has been able to locate on my 2007 RS. Comes from the rear, hard to be sure which side, but I would guess the driver's side. Sounds like a clamp on the exhaust is loose, and only seems to be really loud when coldish. I have had it up on the rack and inspected by two dealers looking for something loose, but no luck. The noise started after I had my plugs changed, took it back to the dealer and he said a loose spark plug shield was the reason. The noise started up again shortly thereafter, and the next dealer couldn't find anything loose. I thought maybe the internals of the side muffler were coming loose, but if the cats are self-destructing, that needs to be addressed asap!! I was instructed to disconnect the rubber lines that actuate the exhaust flapper valves - they supposedly can rattle and doing this would isolate those two components. After doing this, no change...the rattle is still there. No codes, runs perfect, seems to abate some when warmed up. I have a Sharkwerks ECU & bypass rear exhaust section (checked for rattling) and complete RSS Tarmac kit...otherwise box-stock. Could it possibly be associated with the clutch pressure plate or fork? Thanks in advance for the advise.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a rattle in my car that the dealer couldn't find. It turned out to be a cracked center muffler. The crack was under the mounting clamp, so it was hard to find. It is pretty common in the .2 RS since they have a titanium muffler.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Is there something metal between the side mufflers and the bodywork that could be rattling around? When my wife and I gently thumped the rear valance side areas (both sides) and heard a slight, muffled rattle (going over bumps while driving obviously shakes it harder than we did with our thumping) that sounded like it could be the cause. Anyone who has pulled his RS mufflers has seen what it looks like in there. Any description and advise? Thanks greatly.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:05 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

There are heat shields in between the exhaust and body work.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 AM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Texas RS, thanks for the info. Are the shields attached to the bodywork or the side mufflers? Are they metal that could rattle? Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
Texas RS, thanks for the info. Are the shields attached to the bodywork or the side mufflers? Are they metal that could rattle? Thanks again.
They are aluminum and are attached to the body panel and could create a metallic rattle.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:29 PM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I had same annoying rattle. Turned out to be a bad muffler. Driver's side.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:37 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

The rattle, even after numerous "thumb bends" to the heat shield, is still present. I do not want to go hog wild on this "thumb bend" technique that my tech told me to use to quiet the panel down. Does this panel attach to the muffler can or to the bodywork? Does it have a system to attach it to either the bodywork or the muffler can, or does it just stay there by magic? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:22 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless it's a very high frequency rattle/vibration it's not the heat shield. They are light weight corrugated and pliable aluminum... They don't rattle. Maybe buzz, but even then it would be low intensity/volume. Try taking a video of the sound. My guess is it's the internals of the side muffler...
Old 03-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Originally Posted by AEsco48
Unless it's a very high frequency rattle/vibration it's not the heat shield. They are light weight corrugated and pliable aluminum... They don't rattle. Maybe buzz, but even then it would be low intensity/volume. Try taking a video of the sound. My guess is it's the internals of the side muffler...
My side muffler issue was easily detected with rubber mallet. No need to jack up car, just tap anywhere to the left of center muffler and toward driver side muffler and compare with the other side. I did this while engine was cold, but would likely work at any time.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 AM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Slowandsteady, did it turn out to be a muffler issue? Broken internals? Was this a 997.1 GT3? Thanks to you, AEsco48, and Texas RS for your help. I will now try the rubber mallet technique. I don't understand why my technician is reluctant to put it up on the rack, pull the side muffler(s) - I have SW center section bypass - and find out what is going on. Does the rear bodywork (fascia?) have to be removed to get to the mufflers? How many hours are involved in a muffler removal? Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:05 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Slowandsteady, did it turn out to be a muffler issue? Broken internals? Was this a 997.1 GT3? Thanks to you, AEsco48, and Texas RS for your help. I will now try the rubber mallet technique. I don't understand why my technician is reluctant to put it up on the rack, pull the side muffler(s) - I have SW center section bypass - and find out what is going on. Does the rear bodywork (fascia?) have to be removed to get to the mufflers? How many hours are involved in a muffler removal? Thanks again.
on jack stands i can pull the bumper and a muffler in an hour. pull bumper, remove heat shield, it's a handful of bolts after that.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:38 AM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Yes. The driver side muffler had broken internals. Fortunately, I bought a used muffler from another rennlister. I have a 997.2 GT3 RS. They took a couple of hours to install, including removal of rear bumper.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:07 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Being that the .2RS had Ti muffler cans, they would be more complicated to cut open and repair as I intend to do with my .1RS (has conventional steel, although probably galvanized). Thanks so much for all the help.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:33 PM
waweeks
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the muffler mount brackets that bolt to the motor. i had one crack/break and it made a bunch of noise. you'll probably have to pull the mufflers and then get under the car to inspect the brackets. if they flex at all, you've got a crack/break or broken weld. i think this condition is caused by running by-pass pipes with the brackets still bolted onto the motor (not removed) - the brackets would vibrate like crazy in that situation and probably start to fail over time.

Quick Reply: Exhaust (?) rattle