Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Alignment and sway bar setting specs for street driving only on 997.2 GT3 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:08 AM
bigmacsmallfries
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Glad to hear everything was sorted out and you're happy. What did you end up with on the sway bar settings?

I run Front 1 from full Soft, Rear in Middle. This provides enough flexibility on the front to be more forgiving and a bit more bite, while reducing the body roll by tightening the rear and giving me more play/control.
So I kept the front sway bar in the middle of 5 settings, and the rear in the middle of the 3 settings. I decided just to go as OEM as possible.

Initially the car had a -3 degree camber all around with most aggressive settings on the sway bar. Holy crap, is the car nervous as hell going over crests and undulations on the road. Was really eye opening at the limit and oversteer/understeer was very pronounced with the throttle and braking.

Next, I went with -2.5 degree camber all around with the sway bars in the middle setting. This was absolutely fantastic and clearly a great compromise between street and track usage. Was liveable but a little finicky at the limit. Your inputs still need to be super smooth to get the chassis to flow nicely between left and right turns and elevation changes.

Lastly, went to -2 degree camber with OEM toe out. The car is sheer bliss and truly feels like it's on rails. Just rock solid, does not following the crests/valleys/undulations in the road that much. Honestly, street handling went from an 8 out of a 10 initially to a 9.5 out of 10 with this set up.

Goes to show you if you don't know what you're doing stick to the OEM setup for the street. lol Also much more forgiving at the limit. Very interesting to see how small of an alignment change totally changes the character of the handling.

Recently just spent a while reading the pdf from Michelin on the Sport Cups and how tire pressure affects handling/oversteer/understeer, and how temperature factors in. Quite a bit goes into all of this to make an overall well rounded car for the street with an occasional trip to the track.

My conclusion? If you're spending 3/4 of the time or more on the street just stick to the OEM settings.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:35 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

Not a fan of the OEM Factory settings to be perfectly honest, but the toe settings out of the box is good. It's the camber that is set up wrong, and as others have said Porsche does it so that the drivers don't run into any risky situations.

Should be much easier to tune the sway bars from there, but you may not be able to really get a feel for the car until you hit the track.

People usually have a tad less camber on the rear than front, the general number being thrown around is .3-.5 degrees (.5 degree difference being max). If you do this, the rear tires will last a bit longer.

I had Champion Motorsport sort out my alignment, don't know the exact numbers. But they know how I drive and how I like the car to handle so...

Quick Reply: Alignment and sway bar setting specs for street driving only on 997.2 GT3 RS?