Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

24,000 Mile Service DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 04:51 PM
scottnt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 24,000 Mile Service DIY?

My 2011 GT3 just passed 24,000 miles. Local dealership wants $1800 for the service. Checked with a near by import shop, and they'll do it for about $1100. Or... I could buy one of these and do it myself.

$295

$367 (this is only 1 of the items that comes in the kit)

Should I try it myself, or just suck it up and pay the dough? Anyone done this service on their GT3?
Old 03-14-2015, 05:07 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Do it yourself. It's all straight forward and easy. I've done all this myself. There are plenty DIY on here if you need help.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Did myself. Hardest part is plugs. Easy if your side mufflers are off. Barely have to crawl under car if wheels off. Add fuel filter and tranny oil change. Just did my plugs last weekend too about 1 1/2 hrs.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:15 AM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

A lift makes it easier, but you certainly can do the plugs and oil with a jack and jackstands.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...1-and-2-a.html

Old 03-15-2015, 11:00 AM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 98 Posts

Do it yourself. Nothing more rewarding than knowing you did it yourself.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:28 PM
scottnt
Instructor

Alright, I'm going to give it a try. Probably won't start until sometime this Spring, it's too cold to work outside right now ��. I'll try to document the whole thing and report back. I do enjoy working on the car, but know my limitations.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:42 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you know how go ahead if ya dont...dont. you can save a few hundred at the dealer by telling them no brake flush,cabin filter and do you really need plugs.not to be insulting but if you cannot afford proper servicing perhaps another car brand is called for here. myself..i can easily work on my own vehicles but i have them serviced at the dealers because i choose not to work on them.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

^^^ WTF comment is this? I'm going to guess the majority of members here can make the choice to pay or work on self. Many do for the enjoyment, not to save $. The Ops question is legit, dealers rip off this service. it's a total BS 10hrs of labor on something that a medium skilled person can do in about 1/2 a day. Not getting ripped off is not a "can't afford it" comment.

OP, at 4 years, I'd do the full boat service, that way you're not sweating stuff. Do you track the car?
This was my list when I got mine (even though much had been done i like to start from a known point):
Oil/filter, tranny fluid, cabin filter, air filter, fuel filter (997.2 have a different system I believe), brake flush, bleed clutch, replace plugs, replace coils, drive belt, windshield wipers, clean MAF and throttle body, pulled belly pans off for full inspection, inspect axles, inspect steering gear, nut/bolt. (I do track my car) Since yours is CL I'd have a shop inspect your center lock mechanisms.

Going slow this will take you a day. And can be done on jack stands in your garage, belly pans are a bit of a pain this way but doable. Do do tranny/clutch you have to pull off 2 of them.

Also, you can get ALL these parts at RMEuropean, either porsche branded or the OEM maker w/o the porsche label. They are literally the same parts, everything, side by side compare the same.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:06 PM
scottnt
Instructor

Yep, I can easily afford to do it, but have to take the car to Portland to have it done, etc, etc. It's a bit of a pain. I do the wrenching on my airplanes under my mechanics supervision. I really like to know how things work and why. Also, I don't mind paying for the work IF it's something I really can't or shouldn't be doing myself. My car is still under CPO for another year and a half, so I'm assuming doing this myself won't void that?

Thanks for the info Speryx, I'm planning on doing the full service. Luckily I have a couple of buddies with lifts. They do a lot of work on their own Porsches so they should be able to help me out a bunch. It's a male bonding thing
Old 03-15-2015, 11:19 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

DIY, I already did replace the oil/filter, spark plugs & cabin/air filter.

pending only FUEL FILTER which is PIA to replace. any hints on how to replace fuel filter (my GT3 has front lift system).
Old 03-16-2015, 01:08 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if changing the plugs on a 997 is the same as on a GT3, but my son and I did it on our former car this past fall, it is a whole lot easier if you remove the rear bumper, a 15 min job, just be careful with the plastic pins, we bought a few spares. The only tricky part it the plugs behind two of the muffler brackets, easy to take off the mufflers, as long as the bolts are not corroded. It helps to have small nimble fingers, and small 1/4 inch flex drives and approp torx drivers. Plus a 3/4 inch torque wrench. It took us about 3 hours to do plugs and coils. Best to have help with the removal and install of the bumper, to avoid scratching things. We ran ours up on ramps, and did not take the rear wheels off.

enjoy the work,

All the best....
Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick 930
DIY, I already did replace the oil/filter, spark plugs & cabin/air filter.

pending only FUEL FILTER which is PIA to replace. any hints on how to replace fuel filter (my GT3 has front lift system).
Fuel Filter is actually very easy to replace. Its in the engine bay.

DIY:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-on-1-gt3.html
Old 03-16-2015, 07:01 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Plugs take approx 45 min with a lift.

Very easy with a lift. minus 1 of them on the far side.

24k mile service should take approx 4-5 hours from start to finish imo with a lift. I would start Friday night. If you run into hicups, you can go to dealer parts on Saturday

All these items are based on remove / reinstall. I would do it in this order as it would save you time.

-air filter (30 min)
-fuel filter (30 min )
-Serp belt(15 min)
-oil filter (5 min)
+ reinstall air filter box.
-oil change (20 min )
+remove wheels
-Plugs ( 45 min )
-coil packs ( recm as car is now 7 years old) (15 min )
-cabin filter ( 15 min )
-flush brakes ( 45 min )
+ reinstall wheels.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 PM
scottnt
Instructor

Thanks! That should help a bunch. Now I just need to order the parts.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:40 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Are coil packs something that should be replaced even when operating properly? How do you know they are "weakening"? Can they be properly inspected/tested or refurbished? Ebay or Amazon or Suncoast? My 2007 RS has had the plugs replaced a while back at the dealer (about 35K miles on it now) but not the coil packs. I do most other minor servicing, but without a lift, the plugs seemed too much a PITA. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 24,000 Mile Service DIY?