Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 TPC system battery replace cost ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:27 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 TPC system battery replace cost ?

Guys

Recently I suffered from the TPC inactive , system is learning all the time. Porsche dealer suggest to replace all the battery. Have you guys done that before? Usually how much does that cost?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

I disabled mine with the Durametric Pro. Too many messages on and off got really annoying.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Speeds5
I disabled mine with the Durametric Pro. Too many messages on and off got really annoying.
I did some homework, some 997.1 owners claim that the tire pressure sensor battery life for .1 is about 6 years, most conditions the inactive learning are due to battery dead, gotta replace all of them.

I just not sure the charge for replacing, there mightbe some cheaper option than done it at porsche dealerships.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:56 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 198 Posts

Porsche dealers charge in the neighborhood of $1200-1400 for the job.

Or you can get aftermarket sensors for $150 and have a competent tire shop replace them which shouldn't cost more than $200.

And I like my TPMS. Had 2 punctures on my Turbo last year, w/o TPMS I would've probably shredded my tire. With low profile tires there really isn't much of a safety cushion. Once the air starts coming out you better pull right over...

Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Originally Posted by ilko
Porsche dealers charge in the neighborhood of $1200-1400 for the job.

Or you can get aftermarket sensors for $150 and have a competent tire shop replace them which shouldn't cost more than $200.

And I like my TPMS. Had 2 punctures on my Turbo last year, w/o TPMS I would've probably shredded my tire. With low profile tires there really isn't much of a safety cushion. Once the air starts coming out you better pull right over...

yeah, I just got a quote from porshe dealer, its over 1200 bucks.
Suncoast provide the pressure monitor for 132.91$/piece, not sure is this the right parts or not,

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...97gt3_Wheelacc

Curious discount tire can replace them or not. Gotta ask.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:48 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Dealer wants $1200.00 or so....

sux, but that is the joy of ownership.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:46 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 997GT3RS
Guys

Recently I suffered from the TPC inactive , system is learning all the time. Porsche dealer suggest to replace all the battery. Have you guys done that before? Usually how much does that cost?

Thanks

My Titan sensors have been working great for about a year. $136 plus shipping and any good tire store will install them for a small (relative to dealer) fee.

I trucked the dismounted wheels to the tire shop and they charged about $20/wheel to replace the sensors and balance.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...T#.VNmmZSifOG8
Old 02-10-2015, 03:26 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Originally Posted by grizfish
My Titan sensors have been working great for about a year. $136 plus shipping and any good tire store will install them for a small (relative to dealer) fee.

I trucked the dismounted wheels to the tire shop and they charged about $20/wheel to replace the sensors and balance.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sens...T#.VNmmZSifOG8
That's good option.

I am not sure you guys have the similar feeling or not, everytime I drop my car at porsche dealer, what I got is just a bill with simple sentence on that, the service representative has no idea about the detail problem or service, and can not explain to me, meanwhile the guy who did the service were in back office or bodyshop, can not show up to explain either. The service guy and the representative are not communicating that much.

I feel bad about that, I spend decent of money and I deserve an explanation about my car's condition.

I don't trust those dealership that much.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 380 Likes on 221 Posts

Those da*n sensors were the primary reason I bought a Durametric pro. My regular 997 and the Gt3 needed sensors every few months- I think they're battery life claims were BS.

Gone foreever now.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
Those da*n sensors were the primary reason I bought a Durametric pro. My regular 997 and the Gt3 needed sensors every few months- I think they're battery life claims were BS.

Gone foreever now.
Want to rent it out so I can disable my TPMS?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 PM
YellowDragon
Advanced

Samething happened to my 997.1 GT3 last year and I got a new sensor set from this place:

http://www.tpms.com/Audi_Bentley_Fer...H_p/s0077k.htm

I waited till it was time to replace all 4 tires and asked the tire shop (a local America's Tire shop) to replace all 4 sensors while putting on new tires without additional charge.

After going thru the normal resetting process, everything's back to normal! I even noticed that the display of pressure reading is way faster than before due to new sensors & batteries.

One thing though, if you have the old set inside the car and new set in the wheels, do not go thru the resetting process because the onboard computer will get confused as there were too many sensors...
Old 02-13-2015, 11:32 AM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Originally Posted by YellowDragon
Samething happened to my 997.1 GT3 last year and I got a new sensor set from this place:

I waited till it was time to replace all 4 tires and asked the tire shop (a local America's Tire shop) to replace all 4 sensors while putting on new tires without additional charge.

After going thru the normal resetting process, everything's back to normal! I even noticed that the display of pressure reading is way faster than before due to new sensors & batteries.

One thing though, if you have the old set inside the car and new set in the wheels, do not go thru the resetting process because the onboard computer will get confused as there were too many sensors...
Thanks for ur information man, the sensor and battery are separated or when I purchase sensor, the battery comes with it?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM
YellowDragon
Advanced

I believe the battery's build into the sensor as a unit. I don't believe you can just get the batteries to replace the dead ones, you have to get the whole sensor unit. Basically the sensor has a build-in battery and don't need to get batteries separately. That's why when the battery's dead, gotta replace the whole sensor unit.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:10 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 117 Posts

I believe the battery's build into the sensor as a unit. I don't believe you can just get the batteries to replace the dead ones, you have to get the whole sensor unit. Basically the sensor has a build-in battery and don't need to get batteries separately. That's why when the battery's dead, gotta replace the whole sensor unit.
c

Correct. The battery is built into the unit. My OEM's lasted 5-6 years. Have them replaced when you swap tires.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:43 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,867 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Just used your link to order four new sensors for me .1. They are local so hope for the best.

Just a quick question. I noticed on another site that they sell them in a 315 MHz and a 433MHz. Wondering which is the correct one?

Quick Reply: 997.1 TPC system battery replace cost ?