997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Old 11-16-2016, 07:30 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with that you mean. Just for a FWIW, in my experience, to get my prior 996t or 996gt3 that i drove extensively- to drive "well" at the track , you need tons of camber (3.0 + front and 2.5 " at the rear) and toe. With my 997 gt3, i have extremely mild alignment specs. IIRC 1.8 front camber and 1.3 rear camber and 2 weeks ago while at the track - car felt very good. Of course i could extract way more performance of the tires and car by going crazy track dedicated camber HOWEVER for the level of grip levels i had for a STREET setup - and not kill my tires. Mamia... had tons of fun. Just want to put that out their so for those whom want that dual setup like myself - you can really dial back on crazy alignments specs because of the help DSC.

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I have just spent a few days driving various other "sports" cars in day to day street driving meaning real roads, cambers, crappy surfaces nice surfaces etc etc.

I got back into my 7GT2 this morning and I simply cannot believe how resolved and sophisticated the chassis is. My car wears full solid bushings pretty much everywhere, Cup 2 tyres with 245 at the front and the full TPC Tractive shocks/Swift spring/DSC package.
The car is incredible, the most amazing thing to drive in everyday street driving it soaks up bumps, the steering is scalpel sharp, the power goes down well as the softer initial springing delivers more grip than one would imagine.... today I've been driving in 3 degC dryish conditions on Cup 2s and the car is a pussycat sure it is a lively pussycat but an absolute delight for anyone who actually enjoys driving...
Of course the party trick of the set up is when one goes fast, really fast, everything tightens up and the car is a ballistic go kart - frikkin unreal.

Just thought I'd do some flag waving here as I have always been (and will continue to be no doubt) a major sceptic on any "revolutionary" new product and I held off buying this for way too long. If you have a 7GT2/3 and you actually use it on the road then this will be the best thing you ever bought for it, as for its track credentials well the TPC team seem to do pretty well using this setup on their race car. Yes it's quite expensive but it is high quality and will doubtlessly retain its value if you decide to sell your car - all GT2/3 guys without this kit should be having major FOMO - get your credit cards out and live it
Library photo
Old 11-17-2016, 11:51 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
I have been reading exemplary remarks on the dsc control units for the gt3s and other extreme riding Porsches these really ride hard and are not really suitable for the street, the 997.2 C2S is a lot better riding for the street.
I have driven a lot of 997.2 C2S's, they too have the factory damping characteristics of Normal mode is too soft for calming bump oscillation and Sport mode is too stiff for optimal tire grip. And too much initial dive during medium to hard braking, and more than idea body roll when cornering. This is of course relative to how I think a perfectly dampened Porsche sportscar to behave. Which unfortunately I am completely spoiled by driving DSC equipped cars frequently. I didn't know what was good until I drove Good. You can expect the same positive results from DSC on your 997.2 C2S as the DSC users on 997 GT3's and Turbo's. There are no shortage of positive feedback on non-GT cars with DSC. Here are some example-

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-997-2-a.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...2-gts-6mt.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...oller-dsc.html

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Does the dsc unit also improve th comfort and ride for these types of cars?
Yes it does! And it will do so much more that improving comfort. DSC improves the whole driving experience from city street, to country road, to track.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:51 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Data Logging - I have been running with DSC Sport in my modified 981 Cayman and yesterday at Silverstone tried running the logging feature. Unfortunately whilst we could get the logging to start, we could not stop it (square button remained resolutely grey) so could not save any data.

I was using my daughters old WinTel laptop which is running XP - should the logging still work with this old version of Windows?
Old 12-12-2016, 01:41 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

For those of you running the tractive shocks, did any of you have JRZ or ohlins or any other high quality shock before going with tractive. Curious to hear real word experience between them.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
Data Logging - I have been running with DSC Sport in my modified 981 Cayman and yesterday at Silverstone tried running the logging feature. Unfortunately whilst we could get the logging to start, we could not stop it (square button remained resolutely grey) so could not save any data.

I was using my daughters old WinTel laptop which is running XP - should the logging still work with this old version of Windows?
This is the first I have heard of this. Could you please email me directly with any and all info you have, as well as continue to update me if this continues to occur?

I am contacting my engineer regarding this now.

Thank you,

Jordan
jedwards@dscsport.com
Old 12-13-2016, 10:50 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Jordan,

I will see if I can find any error logs on the computer tomorrow

Thanks,

Ralph
Old 12-14-2016, 01:55 PM
rikhek
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had TPC Racing/Mike Levitas install the DSC controller and TracTive RTx shocks on the 997.2 911T car I race.

The PCA Sebring race at the start of the season was the first time I’ve had it on track since the install. The DSC system transformed the car. It’s hard to describe the improvement realized with the system. I have been running high end JRZ shocks well tuned/set up for my car prior to the DSC controller and TracTive RTx shocks

First session right off the truck after not driving all winter and prior to fine tuning/tweaking the system I knocked over 2 seconds off my prior best time at Sebring. For those that have raced/driven Sebring it is a VERY rough/bumpy track. The DSC system and TracTive RTx shocks literally made the bumps disappear. It was like driving on a freshly paved highway. Just truly remarkable.

I did a bunch of research prior to committing to the system. Several years have been spent developing the system on race and street Porsche's with impressive results. A 997 TPC Racing IMSA Porsche Cup race car was the test mule. The 997 Cup car ran faster lap times than half the field in newer generation 991 Cup cars!!!

I'm so impressed with the performance improvements realized with the DSC Controller I just installed one on my 2017 C7 Z06 Corvette. Again, the controller transformed the C7Z.

I feel the quality of the TracTive RTx shocks is second to none. They are suspension **** and it's a shame they're hard to see once installed. They are in a different league than the JRZ shocks I was running.

I've no vested position with DSC but am an extremely satisfied customer. Game changing.....

Rick

Old 12-14-2016, 02:07 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Rick

Thanks for your feedback on JRZ vs tractive. Which JRZ were you running previously? Also how was it fine tuning the high speed and low speed manual adjustments on the rtx shocks vs doing JRZ. Obviously the DSC does most the work but I'm curious about making fine adjustments
Old 12-14-2016, 04:01 PM
rikhek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Rick

Thanks for your feedback on JRZ vs tractive. Which JRZ were you running previously? Also how was it fine tuning the high speed and low speed manual adjustments on the rtx shocks vs doing JRZ. Obviously the DSC does most the work but I'm curious about making fine adjustments
I was running the JRZ RS Pro 2 Way Adjustable shocks. I had no difficulty setting up the JRZ shocks to my liking. I race motocross and have been playing with suspension setup for over 40 years. That experience translates well to setting race car shocks to my liking.

In full disclosure, I really can't comment on setting up the RTx shocks. I race out of the TPC Racing truck and Mike preps, services and does the setup on my car. I was able to communicate to Mike at the track what the car was doing and he adjusted accordingly. I will say his changes were consistent with what I thought the car needed.

I've raced a couple times at tracks without TPC support due to scheduling conflicts and had no problem making adjustments to suit the track I was at. These adjustments were always only a couple of rebound or compression clicks to get it where I likes it.

I think the DSC Sport controller helps in keeping track specific adjustments minimal.

Rick
Old 12-14-2016, 05:09 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rick

Any pics where you mounted the rtx canisters?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:51 PM
fuego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rikhek
I had TPC Racing/Mike Levitas install the DSC controller and TracTive RTx shocks on the 997.2 911T car I race.

The PCA Sebring race at the start of the season was the first time I’ve had it on track since the install. The DSC system transformed the car. It’s hard to describe the improvement realized with the system. I have been running high end JRZ shocks well tuned/set up for my car prior to the DSC controller and TracTive RTx shocks

First session right off the truck after not driving all winter and prior to fine tuning/tweaking the system I knocked over 2 seconds off my prior best time at Sebring. For those that have raced/driven Sebring it is a VERY rough/bumpy track. The DSC system and TracTive RTx shocks literally made the bumps disappear. It was like driving on a freshly paved highway. Just truly remarkable.

I did a bunch of research prior to committing to the system. Several years have been spent developing the system on race and street Porsche's with impressive results. A 997 TPC Racing IMSA Porsche Cup race car was the test mule. The 997 Cup car ran faster lap times than half the field in newer generation 991 Cup cars!!!

I'm so impressed with the performance improvements realized with the DSC Controller I just installed one on my 2017 C7 Z06 Corvette. Again, the controller transformed the C7Z.

I feel the quality of the TracTive RTx shocks is second to none. They are suspension **** and it's a shame they're hard to see once installed. They are in a different league than the JRZ shocks I was running.

I've no vested position with DSC but am an extremely satisfied customer. Game changing.....

Rick
Did you put tractives on the C7 too? I'm mulling a C7 as my next car and this is likely one of the first mods I would make. People have complained about the range of the C7 dampers with a DSC; I'm curous about your experience.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:30 PM
rikhek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Thanks Rick

Any pics where you mounted the rtx canisters?
I don't have pics but am trying to get you some. The car lives in Maryland at TPC Racing and I live in Oklahoma. I've emailed the TPC guys asking if they could get a couple...
Old 12-14-2016, 06:31 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Mr. Rick - Thank you very much for your feedback! We hold your feedback in very high regard here at TPC Racing.

The Tractive DDA coilovers on this car is unique. This car started life as a 997.2 Turbo and has been fitted with 997.2 Cup front and rear uprights. The front Cup uprights accept front struts that are dimensionally same as GT3/RS. While the rear Cup uprights accept completely different rear shocks(shorter length and different lower attachment than GT3/RS). Because of the shorter rear shock length requirement, remote canisters are necessary to house a divider piston in order for the shorter shock to perform as intended. This set of Tractive DDA coilovers were made prior to the RT and RTX marketing designation. When these were made in 2015 there was only the Tractive DDA(RT and RTX submodels were introduced in 2016). In 2015 the shorter shocks automatically came with canister because they are necessary. The canisters are for housing divider piston, higher volume of nitrogen and oil, they do not have mechanical Hi-speed Lo-speed adjusters. Today, we would classify this shock(with remote canister) as RTX. In this car the rear canisters are mounted in the rear subframe area away from radiating exhaust heat like any other remote canisters are prefer to be mounted. This car doesn't have canisters on the front. Sorry for any confusion. It is not my intention to confuse any one, especially our highly regarded race car driver with such mundane configuration details. ;-)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:44 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Tom

So do the current rtx-plus have remote canisters front and rear like traditional remote canister setups? Also is there any plans to introduce R-ACE into the gt3 product line (I know he tractive BMW line has it)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:52 PM
rikhek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fuego
Did you put tractives on the C7 too? I'm mulling a C7 as my next car and this is likely one of the first mods I would make. People have complained about the range of the C7 dampers with a DSC; I'm curous about your experience.
I'm running the OEM magnetic shocks on the C7Z. For my usage the OEM shocks work fine with just the DSC Sport controller. The C7Z is a weekend twisty/country/canyon car which I only track a couple times a year just for the hell of it. I'm satisfied with the street performance of the OEM shocks on my 2015 C7Z and new 2017 C7Z. If I were seriously tracking I'd go with the Tractive shocks in a heartbeat.

FYI, Mike Levitas/TPC owns a 2016 C7Z which he ran the OEM magnetic shocks on while developing the C7 DSC controller. He said there was a big improvement with just the controller. However, he has since installed TracTive shocks and said his car is now in another league. He's seen a 1 second improvement at Summit Point with the TracTive shocks compared to OEM and he says it rides nicer.

If anyone cares, I don't track the C7Z that often as I've another, purpose built tube frame race car here in Oklahoma that I use to track/race locally. The other car is an ASA Stock car set up for road course work. It weighs 2,300 pounds and is powered by a 420 HP LS1 Corvette engine. I've run it 3 years without touching the engine. Although it's truly not a finesse car it's a damn blast to drive. Separates the men from the boys, and it's something different....

Rick

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM