Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

A 4.0, a GT2RS and a CGT are having a drink...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I think you are right! If PAG puts a manual in the 991rs it will definitely hurt the value of the 4.0! It's an amazing driving machine but a lot of it's future value is based on the last Mezger/MT combined! I just don't see it happening! Because it would be like taking a step back.
A little off topic, but related: I consider myself a "manual-tranny guy". I got into the gt3 game a couple years ago because 1) it was the first 911 I'd ever driven that really did it for me and 2) I thought there was a decent chance 997 gt3s would stay strong on rumor 991 gt3s would be pdk-only. However, when (not if) I buy any future gt4/gt3/gt3rs variant, they all will be PDK, even if manual is offered. If I want an old-school tranny experience, I'll drive one of my old-school cars. I will not buy a new "cutting edge performance" 911 with a manual tranny. It is going backwards. IMO, the gt3 3.8 and 4.0 were already borderline "throw-back" cars. The competition around them had already moved to DCT tranny's. DCT is the future; it is a better performer vs manual in every way. Manual is a fun throw-back experience. It doesn't belong in a new uber-performance flagship car (the American examples don't count). Porsche is smarter than I am. They aren't in business to make nostalgia throw-back cars. They are in business to sell the best performing machines in the world (a lot of them). Those machines will not have manual tranny's.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:43 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

CGT
Old 01-27-2015, 03:51 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
Let's see, the 4.0 and the GT2RS are gimmicks to me. Both rare and both didn't add too much to their predecessors.

The CGT is a different story. If my wife wasn't so paranoid I would own one. And I would drive the hell out of it. Best car Porsche has ever produced.
If I could afford a CGT I wouldn't give two ****s what my wife said!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 03:54 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

i think it's not close...

CGT
Old 01-27-2015, 06:36 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My reply to my own question

Thank you to all who have read, written and contributed to this post. It's been a lot of fun to read, which was my one and only objective in creating it.

Let me preface my reply with these disclaimers:

1. I have been collecting Porsche's since 1988;
2. I own all three of the models being discussed and have driven them extensively;
3. I absolutely don't have any interest in driving future values up or down for one versus the other;
4. My thoughts were firmly rooted well before I ever made this post;
5. See above - this is strictly for fun.

Okay, all three of these models are objectively and subjectively important, legendary, fantastic motorcars. They will stand the test of time in every major category and I think will always be coveted. However, I asked if one will rise above the others and I believe that will be the....GT2RS. Here's why: yes, Porsche brought back the Mezger engine for this project; yes, it is possibly the last of the manual transmission cars. Either of those two are subject to change, depending upon how bright Porsche is in recognizing the financial windfall that a redux of either or both will bring - but even if they do, it doesn't change this: at the time it was built, the 2RS was the fastest supercar of the moment (Nurburgring) that could also be used easily as a daily driver. Don't forget that Jeff Zwart drove a brand-new, stock (other than a rollcage and fire extinguisher) 2RS from LA to Pike's Peak, set a world record there, and drove it straight back to LA. Maintenance free in both directions and up and down the mountain. There has never been, and will never be, another car like this. Thus, I feel that while greatly under-appreciated today, when viewed in hindsight, the 2RS will be regarded as the ultimate evolution of manual transmission, turbo charged power inside a true daily driver, with all of the ease of usage that Porsche is famous for, all whist achieving true supercar performance. Never again will more be wrought from less.

The CGT will not be far behind at all, I'll call it a close second. It will be revered for its pure shape, carbon fiber structure, sublime engine. I just think it too much a one-off for Porsche to stand tallest when measuring their most important work of the era. But, this is like saying the loser of the Super Bowl didn't have a stellar season - second place in a list of greatest's is about as good as it gets.

The 4.0 - fantastic on the track, lots of the same "last of's" as the others, but really not enjoyable enough around town. Thus, a great third place, a legend indeed, but not a car that 20 years from now will be in quite the same league as these two.

As many others have qualified in their own replies, this is just my opinion!

Time for a glass of wine....Harlan vs. Colgin vs. Bryant....oh wait, that would require another thread for debate!
Old 01-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by secretcollector
Okay, all three of these models are objectively and subjectively important, legendary, fantastic motorcars. They will stand the test of time in every major category and I think will always be coveted. However, I asked if one will rise above the others and I believe that will be the....GT2RS. Here's why: yes, Porsche brought back the Mezger engine for this project; yes, it is possibly the last of the manual transmission cars. Either of those two are subject to change, depending upon how bright Porsche is in recognizing the financial windfall that a redux of either or both will bring - but even if they do, it doesn't change this: at the time it was built, the 2RS was the fastest supercar of the moment (Nurburgring) that could also be used easily as a daily driver. Don't forget that Jeff Zwart drove a brand-new, stock (other than a rollcage and fire extinguisher) 2RS from LA to Pike's Peak, set a world record there, and drove it straight back to LA. Maintenance free in both directions and up and down the mountain. There has never been, and will never be, another car like this. Thus, I feel that while greatly under-appreciated today, when viewed in hindsight, the 2RS will be regarded as the ultimate evolution of manual transmission, turbo charged power inside a true daily driver, with all of the ease of usage that Porsche is famous for, all whist achieving true supercar performance. Never again will more be wrought from less.
The one counterargument I'd make is that with turbos set to extend across the product line it's likely we'll see a turbo-based 911 that significantly outperforms the GT2 RS. On the other hand, naturally aspirated 911's look set for eventual extinction and it's possible that we may not see a naturally aspirated successor to the upcoming RS. This argues for the top-end NA 911's to become increasingly more valuable over time.

As for the CGT, there is absolutely nothing street legal that sounds like it and no modern Porsche with as much racing DNA, hence it's my #1.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Megathumper
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally some common sense!

Don't mind me, us Aussies live at the other end of the world and we see everything **** up!

Thank you to all who have read, written and contributed to this post. It's been a lot of fun to read, which was my one and only objective in creating it.

Let me preface my reply with these disclaimers:

1. I have been collecting Porsche's since 1988;
2. I own all three of the models being discussed and have driven them extensively;
3. I absolutely don't have any interest in driving future values up or down for one versus the other;
4. My thoughts were firmly rooted well before I ever made this post;
5. See above - this is strictly for fun.

The CGT will not be far behind at all, I'll call it a close second. It will be revered for its pure shape, carbon fiber structure, sublime engine. I just think it too much a one-off for Porsche to stand tallest when measuring their most important work of the era. But, this is like saying the loser of the Super Bowl didn't have a stellar season - second place in a list of greatest's is about as good as it gets.

The 4.0 - fantastic on the track, lots of the same "last of's" as the others, but really not enjoyable enough around town. Thus, a great third place, a legend indeed, but not a car that 20 years from now will be in quite the same league as these two.

As many others have qualified in their own replies, this is just my opinion!

Time for a glass of wine....Harlan vs. Colgin vs. Bryant....oh wait, that would require another thread for debate!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:28 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with secretcollector with regard to the GT2 RS. I firmly believe it is a very misunderstood car, which will gain its rightful place in Porsche's historical importance, with time.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:16 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

Outside of pure subjective driving experience and objective attritubes of each model discussed(mezger, manual, analog, racing heritage) wouldnt future values also take into consideration production numbers both U.S. and ROW.

I lean towards CGT>GT2RS>GT3RS, with only the slightest edge to CGT. The other factor in play is how many of us have had the opportunity to experience the CGT.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Aha! Vindicated!! And for years Doc, they told me I was crazy, poked fun at me, called me names, bullied me, said my car's *** was too fat. :-)

I will remember this discussion 20 years from now no matter the right answer. Good fun guys.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:07 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, all three of these models are objectively and subjectively important, legendary, fantastic motorcars. They will stand the test of time
2RS will be regarded as the ultimate evolution of manual transmission, turbo charged power inside a true daily driver, with all of the ease of usage that Porsche is famous for, all whist achieving true supercar performance. Never again will more be wrought from less.
Having only the Colgin and Harlan cabs experience to compare; I would favor the unique attention to purity and preparation that Harlan provides. Less is more in this case.....to be continued, I would imagine.

I will concur with the answer to your own question in that you've further and finely, I might add; refined the parameters within your answer.

The turbo 2 RS in essence is the apex of the mezger iteration. That any following 991 conglomeration by the factory would attempt to eclipse the development the the 2 RS and thus the preceding GT2 in output would be received with skeptical eyes and tentative approval in the purist state of mind and be relegated to an exercise in futility.

I contend that the CGT, as you are aware as an owner, is extremely unique and it yet did bring forth technology that the 2RS benefitted from. Without the CGT, the progeny of the species and its advancement may have been minimized. Thus my choice as the answer to your original query.

Your position, however is well substantiated.

Bravo.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:24 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Great post/question secretcollector!

Short term i would humbly suggest the CGT. Long term i would say the 4.0. The 911 is what defined Porsche - both in racing a commercially. Its the flagship. The 4.0 is the pinnacle of what once was available to the consumer - a race car that is street legal. A high revving NA Mezger engine that won Le mans. It appears that connection to motorsport with road going cars been lost - making the 4.0 more significant.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:03 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Another thing that might help the 997gt2rs is if they decide to not make a 991gt2rs! And according to rumors (I know) there won't be another gt2!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
I honestly don't think any of them will be regarded as the "most important" in the era you've defined. Which really pains me to admit that, this next statement will kill me. But honestly both the 4.0 and 2RS are just 911s with bits and bobs.
same could be said for 73RS...
Old 01-28-2015, 12:00 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

I am really enjoying the various thoughts to my question, thank you all. There has traditionally been a slight bias against turbo-charged Porsche's on RL, and I think it shows here, but doesn't change the validity of many posts.

I'm curious to see what else is written in the coming days, and absolutely plan to provide my response to my own question (which was formulated a long time ago, well before I made this post).
agreed,
with good reason IMO
i own a mostly stock 997.1 T.
it is fun, but I prefer many things about NA over T.
$$$$ is a concern for me.
i opted for the 997.1 T instead of 997.1 GT3RS and got 4/5? the car for less than 1/2 the price.
but still looking for a reasonably priced 08 RS............................... lol

Quick Reply: A 4.0, a GT2RS and a CGT are having a drink...