Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

A 4.0, a GT2RS and a CGT are having a drink...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:59 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by m5trol
For 4.0, the rise is completely decoupled from the cgt or gt2rs at respective ages.

For instance: http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...l-for-sale-648

That is over 560K, granted it is due to the color and right hand drive rarity but still.
No one will buy that. 5000k miles? It's been driven.

Lol
Old 01-29-2015, 12:00 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

basically, with everything going toward turbo in the future the GT2 will become even more forgotten.

the CGT will always be an engine worth driving experience however the body will be perceived dated in time as it never was a wind tunnel marvel to begin with and the car never raced like the GT1 supercar. This will keep it pulling away from the other three.

the 4.0L being lower production then the other 2 and the last normally aspirated GT car will pass the test of time. especially being manual tranny.

Normally aspirated manual tranny 911 GT cars will always be the blue chip porsche.

I believe the CGT will continue to rise.
The GT2RS will continue to rise slowly.
The 4.0L will take a slow down or dip in the future.... but at some point in time it will skyrocket and leave the other two cars behind.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:14 PM
hds10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I love the GT3RS, I think it will be CGT and close second RS 4.0.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:23 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
No one will buy that. 5000k miles? It's been driven.

Lol
Sold a few months ago for 25K pounds less than this number.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:08 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
basically, with everything going toward turbo in the future the GT2 will become even more forgotten.

the CGT will always be an engine worth driving experience however the body will be perceived dated in time as it never was a wind tunnel marvel to begin with and the car never raced like the GT1 supercar. This will keep it pulling away from the other three.

the 4.0L being lower production then the other 2 and the last normally aspirated GT car will pass the test of time. especially being manual tranny.

Normally aspirated manual tranny 911 GT cars will always be the blue chip porsche.

I believe the CGT will continue to rise.
The GT2RS will continue to rise slowly.
The 4.0L will take a slow down or dip in the future.... but at some point in time it will skyrocket and leave the other two cars behind.
The gt2rs is actually the lowest produced out of the three with 500 made. But I agree that the 2rs will not be as sought after.
And the reason I feel that way is because 70s-90s turbo was cool. It was unique and special. The 996tt and 997tt kind of blew that. So in the future N/A cars and v10/v12 will be a thing of the past and really sought after.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:42 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

Ruff RGT8 anyone?
Old 01-31-2015, 03:46 AM
Bleek
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by secretcollector
which of these three modern legends will be widely regarded (within and outside the Porsche community) as the greatest and most important car to come out of Stuttgart post-959 and pre-new automotive era (aka the 991), and why?
I think what the value of these cars will be is a different question than the one originally posed. No doubt people vote with dollars, but in considering only the criteria of greatness and importance, to me it's the 4.0.

Why?
Leaving out the GT2, for all reasons previously stated, its between the 4.0 and the GT. The RS's single greatest point, is that it's a 911, and in that important fact, is all of the history and familiarity of that model within and outside the Porsche community. It is THE icon of Porsche. Not the GT. The 959, was still a 911 at heart, but the pinnacle. And that's exactly what the 4.0 is. The pinnacle of the 911 experience in its last pure incarnation.

Add to that

Last and best Mezger
Racing lineage
Manual
Limited #'s
etc.

Hands down the 4.0
Old 01-31-2015, 04:58 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 101 Posts

I agree with Bleek - to some extent the thread has gone sideways, the original post was for "the greatest and most important" of the three. Not the most valuable in 20 years, not the best driver, but the "greatest and most important". Put another way, which car, if NOT produced, would have the most significant effect of Porsche heritage as we know it?

GT2 - perhaps the most under appreciated car here, perhaps even the best driver for some, but just not equal to the 2.7 RS, the 959, and other Porsche icons. If not produced, while it will be missed by some enthusiasts, it will not make as big a dent in Porsche legacy as the two below.

So that leaves the RS 4.0 and CGT.

RS 4.0 - for all the reasons mentioned above, plus the halo effect from all the accolades received from the motoring press, the statement car for what Porsche can still accomplish with the 911 design.

CGT - for all the reasons mentioned above, the technology, the linkage to racing, plus the Porsche entry in the supercar fight against Ferrari from 2004.

CGT by a nose for me.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 AM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were just a "rational" thing, I would say CGT easily wins, for most of the same reasons a Ford GT is and always will be worth so much more than any of the many high-performance/low volume variants of the Mustang Ford cranked out.

But the one difference between those two comparisons is that no one would disagree the Ford GT is prettier than any Mustang. And beauty has a big impact on value, especially as the performance capabilities become less relevant when compared to future vehicles which will likely offer more.

And there's just something about that 911 shape. The GT3 hooks me aesthetically in a way the CGT doesn't.

So I'll go for the 4.0.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:58 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

The CGT should win this, the GT2 RS should come in second, but in the end I can't call anything other than the 4.0 the best, and hence greatest and most important, car.

The CGT has every advantage. Budget, exclusivity, performance, image, visceral involvement, focus. It was designed to trump every other Porsche including the 911, and it clearly did so. It used components that the 911 can only dream of: carbon tub, inboard double wishbone pushrod suspension, no holds bared modern motorsports engine with unbelievable power to weight ratio mounted exactly where newton intended. It dismissed practicality and the bondage of historical legacy to be the best pure sports car Porsche could possibly make...

And yet for all those advantages, it wasn't quite right. It has a reputation for not suffering fools, but most have no idea how founded this reputation is. Few know that one of the best race drivers in the world (you'd recognize the name) put one into the wall- not doing anything crazy, it just snapped, and he couldn't catch it. Driving the record 'Ring lap made the great Walter Röhle rethink continuing the chase for 'Ring records. It's an amazing car, and on more modern rubber it's much less of a handful, but I can't help think of it as unfinished, less than the sum of its parts, not greater. I want one badly in part because I dearly love scary cars, but I can't give it the win.

The GT2 RS seems the next heir to the throne. The ultimate street 911, the gloves came off in an effort to put the GT-R in its place. It broke all of Porsche's own rules- far too much power and too little weight for its price, it's a modern day 935 for the street, yet it's far less of a handful than it should be. Making that much power usable by mere mortals, handily beating the mighty CGT around the ring (all tires, but still), it sits at the top of the 911 pyramid. While there will clearly be faster 911s, none will be as fast with the original, authentic formula: mezger and manual transmission. Despite this, however, it misses. It has one simple, deadly flaw: lag. And while the turbo rush is addictive, the lag spoils an otherwise pure formula, leaving it in 3rd.

Which leaves the 4.0, the car that should be the runt of this superlative group. An engine long past its prime and in the wrong place, both heavy and down on power in comparison to its older siblings. Heavy steel chassis shared with low rent street cars, a rehashing of many cars that had come before. But where the CGT is less than the sum of its parts, the 4.0 is more. Honed over years, decades even, every generation making small improvements on the last, it gels as a package in a way it has no right to. It's a leap over its 3.8 brother, a car already honed to near perfection. When they get the best 911s of all time together 20 years from now for a comparison test, they will without question need to invite the 4.0. And I think most of us know that it will probably win.

Yes the 4.0 is surprisingly close to plenty of other 911s, yes it's a relatively pedestrian sports car in comparison to the mighty carbon CGT, but it's probably the greatest 911 of all time. And the 911 is probably the greatest, most important sports car of all time. The greatest of the greatest pretty much seals it for me.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:12 AM
m5trol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Pete, you took me in the future with people dressed in funny costumes and hats trying to judge this contest. Excellent writing.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:34 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

"but it's probably the greatest 911 of all time. And the 911 is probably the greatest, most important sports car of all time. The greatest of the greatest pretty much seals it for me."

I'm going to print that on canvas, frame it and put it on the wall in front of my 4.0! 😄
Old 01-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Here's some of that logic some of you have used but from a different view.

"Porsche makes a lot of NA cars, so consequently NA cars are a dime a dozen, nothing special about them at all. Heck, even the Boxster and Cayman are NA, so it really devalues the 4.0. Hence, the 4.0 and the CGT are not going to hold value.

The GT2RS will be the long term winner because it's the best iteration of turbocharged Mezger. There is no other Mezger that produces that amount of power. It not only has the most amount of power but also the best 997 chassis. The MSRP reflects Porsche's strategy for the car, since it's the most expensive 997 available and hence Porsche's halo product."

Put in that context you see how silly some of these posts are.

And I am still of the opinion the CGT will rule them all.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:55 AM
rsman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petevb

The CGT should win this, the GT2 RS should come in second, but in the end I can't call anything other than the 4.0 the best, and hence greatest and most important, car.

The CGT has every advantage. Budget, exclusivity, performance, image, visceral involvement, focus. It was designed to trump every other Porsche including the 911, and it clearly did so. It used components that the 911 can only dream of: carbon tub, inboard double wishbone pushrod suspension, no holds bared modern motorsports engine with unbelievable power to weight ratio mounted exactly where newton intended. It dismissed practicality and the bondage of historical legacy to be the best pure sports car Porsche could possibly make...

And yet for all those advantages, it wasn't quite right. It has a reputation for not suffering fools, but most have no idea how founded this reputation is. Few know that one of the best race drivers in the world (you'd recognize the name) put one into the wall- not doing anything crazy, it just snapped, and he couldn't catch it. Driving the record 'Ring lap made the great Walter Röhle rethink continuing the chase for 'Ring records. It's an amazing car, and on more modern rubber it's much less of a handful, but I can't help think of it as unfinished, less than the sum of its parts, not greater. I want one badly in part because I dearly love scary cars, but I can't give it the win.

The GT2 RS seems the next heir to the throne. The ultimate street 911, the gloves came off in an effort to put the GT-R in its place. It broke all of Porsche's own rules- far too much power and too little weight for its price, it's a modern day 935 for the street, yet it's far less of a handful than it should be. Making that much power usable by mere mortals, handily beating the mighty CGT around the ring (all tires, but still), it sits at the top of the 911 pyramid. While there will clearly be faster 911s, none will be as fast with the original, authentic formula: mezger and manual transmission. Despite this, however, it misses. It has one simple, deadly flaw: lag. And while the turbo rush is addictive, the lag spoils an otherwise pure formula, leaving it in 3rd.

Which leaves the 4.0, the car that should be the runt of this superlative group. An engine long past its prime and in the wrong place, both heavy and down on power in comparison to its older siblings. Heavy steel chassis shared with low rent street cars, a rehashing of many cars that had come before. But where the CGT is less than the sum of its parts, the 4.0 is more. Honed over years, decades even, every generation making small improvements on the last, it gels as a package in a way it has no right to. It's a leap over its 3.8 brother, a car already honed to near perfection. When they get the best 911s of all time together 20 years from now for a comparison test, they will without question need to invite the 4.0. And I think most of us know that it will probably win.

Yes the 4.0 is surprisingly close to plenty of other 911s, yes it's a relatively pedestrian sports car in comparison to the mighty carbon CGT, but it's probably the greatest 911 of all time. And the 911 is probably the greatest, most important sports car of all time. The greatest of the greatest pretty much seals it for me.
Well said Pete. Bravo! Could not agree more. The legacy of Porche is clearly the 911, and I have no doubt history will judge the RS4.0 as the greatest drivers 911 of all time!!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:45 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

+1

Quick Reply: A 4.0, a GT2RS and a CGT are having a drink...