991 v 997 v Gt4

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:02 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 991 v 997 v Gt4

I can't get over this. I just can't

Steve Rance just posted in PH that GT3 cup cars are no faster from 991 to 997 under the merger lumps. Goes to show how much the game has moved on for road cars that are using advanced transmissions and electronics to go faster. The chassis itself has not contributed to an increase in outright lap times. That said 991 is easier to pilot.

i don't want this. I want a porsche that is balanced but still up to me to be able to extract the best from the chassis. So much control is wrested from the driver nowadays that i fear even the GT4 is going to be a letdown......

strangely, I think it isn't just the transmission because my m3 csl, although clunky, feels completely analogue. It's more the electronics. anyone feel the same as i do?

I probably just need an ariel atom/caterham/exige
Old 01-18-2015, 06:08 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

I yearn for raw sports cars that are not just track refugees.

i should just look back at lotuses..

heavy unassisted steering, concentration sapping vague gearbox and light as a feather. I couldn't get past the aluminium tin box construction but maybe I'm just failing to understand the magic.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...4-991-cup.html

I was in the "equal" camp up until December. Now I'm in the 991 camp.

I would respectfully disagree with Mr. Rance
Old 01-18-2015, 08:41 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Had both. 991 GT3 is the most surprising car I have ever driven. Seems to be on same level as an 09 Cup.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:38 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
I yearn for raw sports cars that are not just track refugees.

i should just look back at lotuses..

heavy unassisted steering, concentration sapping vague gearbox and light as a feather. I couldn't get past the aluminium tin box construction but maybe I'm just failing to understand the magic.
Agree 100%. As far as I know, no one here is a pro race driver. Our livelihood doesn't depend on our driving skills on the circuit. Some want to go fast at any cost, and some want to be challenged in extracting all possible out of an unruly car.

The best drivers adapt to the car, get it to perform. That's rewarding.

The 991 isn't the car for the raw experience and all future Porsche GT3 cars will be even less raw. That's the market. It's where the money is.

I drove a 991 GT3 for a couple days, it's fast, it's planted, it's not a traditional GT3; IMO. It's a super GT car.

Just look at all the non traditional buyers the 991 GT3 has attracted. This is what Porsche wants. When reading the 991 GT3 forum one wonders if it's the regular 991 forum. Seat belt colors, navigation, etc.

Bottom line for me, I'll done buying another Porsche until they give me my manual back and my Motorsports engine back.

You can buy a Formula 4 car. Really considering that.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:18 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...4-991-cup.html

I was in the "equal" camp up until December. Now I'm in the 991 camp.

I would respectfully disagree with Mr. Rance
Interesting.
nonetheless, I can't afford to race a 997 cup let alone a 991 cup + testing/weekends away. This is just an expensive hobby for me and I still want to get my kicks from cars that feel awesome to drive.

In the same way, my RS doesn't get driven hard enough, which makes me want to give it up.

Anyone think the GT4 could be the answer with less HP but more rope to hang oneself?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

There are many cars that fit your criteria priced from low to high, you just have to pick your poison. If you are looking for new the GT4 is looking
good.

I am in line for a GT4 and believe that it will be more raw and include a manual transmission, but this still will have plenty of safety nets as that is just how it is now.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

I can't get over this. I just can't

Steve Rance just posted in PH that GT3 cup cars are no faster from 991 to 997 under the merger lumps.
Sorry I'm really not sure how to parse this? can you post a link to Steve's post on PH please?

Goes to show how much the game has moved on for road cars that are using advanced transmissions and electronics to go faster. The chassis itself has not contributed to an increase in outright lap times. That said 991 is easier to pilot.

i don't want this. I want a porsche that is balanced but still up to me to be able to extract the best from the chassis. So much control is wrested from the driver nowadays that i fear even the GT4 is going to be a letdown......

strangely, I think it isn't just the transmission because my m3 csl, although clunky, feels completely analogue. It's more the electronics. anyone feel the same as i do?

I probably just need an ariel atom/caterham/exige
Rancey knows his stuff ...

If you want analogue go with a 996.2 GT3 RS; there are of course (many) faster (road & track) cars but there are few (if any IMO) more rewarding to drive quickly and well...

Of course Atom/Caterham and that ilk of track focused cars will be both faster and probably more engaging, but they are a compromise being so
uncompromisingly track focused ... enjoy driving one of those to and from
the track in typical UK weather...

If you can afford it, find a 6 RS ... it is already becoming a future classic.

just ask Rancey ... he used to have one back when they 1st launched as I recall.

An exige will be fun, but after piloting a GT3 of any generation you will spend a lot of time out in front of the car waiting for it to catch you up... even the 240
Old 01-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Interesting.
nonetheless, I can't afford to race a 997 cup let alone a 991 cup + testing/weekends away. This is just an expensive hobby for me and I still want to get my kicks from cars that feel awesome to drive.

In the same way, my RS doesn't get driven hard enough, which makes me want to give it up.

Anyone think the GT4 could be the answer with less HP but more rope to hang oneself?
damn it man, just drive the RS harder, spend money on professional coaching if you think you need to to be a better driver to extract more from your car.

Or... buy a GT4 and someone else will happily snap up your gorgeous RS.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:49 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting.

gt4 will be cool if its faster than what you have now and just as engaging.

race cars are another world
Old 01-18-2015, 02:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

When will 991gt3 be raced? Til now nothing!!! Mike
Old 01-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

We are rapidly moving past analog, no doubt about it. But everyone is so obsessed wth track times and performance the car manufacturers are forced to follow and so here we are.

For daily use and long trips I don't mind the additional comfort and electronics helping out through the on/off ramps on a slippery winter day but when I'm out for a drive to experience the fun of driving I absolutely dispise this technology. I want the car to communicate and tell me what the tires are doing, feel the weight shifting and know when I need steering or throttle input to make the car go in the right direction. To know it was my skills and input that carved quickly through a corner with the tail hanging just slightly and in full control. To blip the throttle before a corner and to shift right at redline smoothly and quickly into the next gear. Rewarding.

Who knows what the GT4 will be like, it will be interesting to see what Porsche does with hit. Hopefully it's analog since Porsche has nothing to prove with it, fingers crossed!

As others have suggested, the 996 GT3 might be a good alternative for you khooni. The car is analog and has nothing to protect you if you f up.

I do wonder why you didn't like the Cayman R and Spyder though if you long for analog. Were they just now fast enough?
Old 01-18-2015, 05:31 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Hi Afshin,

The 1 car I regretted selling is the 987 spyder. It is such a gem of a car, with perfect looks and the very essence of sports cars; lithe and speed. In a moment of weakness, I sold it to fund an M3 CSL cup car as a track hack (albeit road registered).

The CR is a very nice road sports car but just doesn't have the road racer GT3 feel. I am hoping the same GT genius can be mated to a CR in creating a GT4. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:47 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
Agree 100%. As far as I know, no one here is a pro race driver. Our livelihood doesn't depend on our driving skills on the circuit. Some want to go fast at any cost, and some want to be challenged in extracting all possible out of an unruly car.

The best drivers adapt to the car, get it to perform. That's rewarding.

The 991 isn't the car for the raw experience and all future Porsche GT3 cars will be even less raw. That's the market. It's where the money is.

I drove a 991 GT3 for a couple days, it's fast, it's planted, it's not a traditional GT3; IMO. It's a super GT car.

Just look at all the non traditional buyers the 991 GT3 has attracted. This is what Porsche wants. When reading the 991 GT3 forum one wonders if it's the regular 991 forum. Seat belt colors, navigation, etc.

Bottom line for me, I'll done buying another Porsche until they give me my manual back and my Motorsports engine back.

You can buy a Formula 4 car. Really considering that.
^this
Old 01-18-2015, 06:15 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't sell your RS. You will severely regret it.

Quick Reply: 991 v 997 v Gt4