Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts on the car after my first track day

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:57 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The message I've read is that the OEM is good, for track use Delvac is better.
I had trouble with Delvac. The symptoms were difficult shifts, sticky gears, sometimes grinding (though probably a function of the other two) at very high temps. I tried Miller's non LS 75w90 and the symptoms seemed to go away. Shop in town advised me away from Delvac for track use, he said it's not what the Cups run. I'm getting somewhat annoyed with the various conflicting recommendations.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
I need to talk to you about the LSD and transmission
matt is THE best.
i got some jewelry from him.....

dont you blip 3-2?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I had trouble with Delvac. The symptoms were difficult shifts, sticky gears, sometimes grinding (though probably a function of the other two) at very high temps. I tried Miller's non LS 75w90 and the symptoms seemed to go away. Shop in town advised me away from Delvac for track use, he said it's not what the Cups run. I'm getting somewhat annoyed with the various conflicting recommendations.
Interesting, not seen that (grinding) and we run in hot conditions in summer here too. Shops around here use delvac in the cups they support. Unsure if it's factory fill.... But all oil threads go this way - everyone has an opinion. I just go by what shop suggests and what Guard suggests (and change it often, its cheap)

Originally Posted by mooty
Oh???
Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Here is an excellent gear oil thread that discusses Delvac vs PTX:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...for-993-a.html
The short answer for those who don't want to read it all? I recommend Delvac for a car that is more track than street. I recommend factory fill for a car that is more street than track. The difference is the friction modifiers added to the factory fill to assist the steel synchros in smoothness when cold.

Whenever I read about someone complaining that they are having balky shifting on track when the gearbox is cold, my immediate response is,"You obviously aren't warming up your gearbox enough before flogging it!" It takes roughly 20 minutes of track time to get a gearbox up to full temp. You want it at or above 180 degrees before you really get on it. Yes, we all want to maximum our track laps. But do your gearbox a favour and run 4-5 laps at 80% before you really get on it, regardless of gear oil choice. Your pocket book will thank you when you don't prematurely wear out your synchros.

Swepco? 201 and 210, yes. 203 and 212 no. The moly makes them too slippery. 3R would run nothing but 210 in their old World Challenge Cups.

Amsoil is fine. Just as you see mentioned in the thread linked, I don't like LSD additives. Again, too slippery.

Regards,

Matt

ps. I'll let Mooty post pictures of his "jewelry". We redesigned the GT2 Pro LSD and he's got one of the first production models to be sold to a private user.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:47 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
matt is THE best.

dont you blip 3-2?
i do but it still grinds from time to time. i'm going to try to get the car slowed down some more before dropping it into 2nd. when i double clutch, it's fine...not sure if it's related to syncros or it's just slowingeverything down
Old 01-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Here is an excellent gear oil thread that discusses Delvac vs PTX:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...for-993-a.html
The short answer for those who don't want to read it all? I recommend Delvac for a car that is more track than street. I recommend factory fill for a car that is more street than track. The difference is the friction modifiers added to the factory fill to assist the steel synchros in smoothness when cold.

Whenever I read about someone complaining that they are having balky shifting on track when the gearbox is cold, my immediate response is,"You obviously aren't warming up your gearbox enough before flogging it!" It takes roughly 20 minutes of track time to get a gearbox up to full temp. You want it at or above 180 degrees before you really get on it. Yes, we all want to maximum our track laps. But do your gearbox a favour and run 4-5 laps at 80% before you really get on it, regardless of gear oil choice. Your pocket book will thank you when you don't prematurely wear out your synchros.

Swepco? 201 and 210, yes. 203 and 212 no. The moly makes them too slippery. 3R would run nothing but 210 in their old World Challenge Cups.

Amsoil is fine. Just as you see mentioned in the thread linked, I don't like LSD additives. Again, too slippery.

Regards,

Matt

ps. I'll let Mooty post pictures of his "jewelry". We redesigned the GT2 Pro LSD and he's got one of the first production models to be sold to a private user.
Thanks Matt,

I have been using Swepco 201 in my Formula Ford's Hewland for years, and now I use it in all my standard transmissions. It's great in Porsche trans. as long as it is warmed up first, very hard shifting while cold, Situation normal I'd say. Smooth as glass shifting when hot..
Old 01-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
i do but it still grinds from time to time. i'm going to try to get the car slowed down some more before dropping it into 2nd. when i double clutch, it's fine...not sure if it's related to syncros or it's just slowingeverything down
its both, they are I believe interrelated...
Old 01-16-2015, 07:45 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Bill Rader set me straight on Delvac, he said it's the way to go. I must have slowed things down and not really noticed when I switched to Millers - thinking it was the oil that helped.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:10 PM
turbofever
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill Rader set me straight on Delvac, he said it's the way to go. I must have slowed things down and not really noticed when I switched to Millers - thinking it was the oil that helped.
if you park your cars outside in the winter the delvac can feel like sludge in your transmisison

once warmed up you are good to go though!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Heel toe blipping the 3-2 downshift will do wonders for your synchro wear. Though you may already have engagement teeth damage, which will require a new mainshaft, as was mentioned.

Please don't every out Redline in a Porsche transmission. Way too slippery. Increases the wear on synchros. It's a street oil, no matter what their marketing machine tells you. Delvac is a great choice.
Or learn to double clutch...then it goes in like butter

Agree on delvac....and change it after every event...overkill maybe....oil is cheap...tranny parts are expensive
Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Or learn to double clutch...then it goes in like butter

Agree on delvac....and change it after every event...overkill maybe....oil is cheap...tranny parts are expensive
When I speak of heel toe blipping I am always talking about double clutching. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Blipping with the clutch pedal to the floor is basically useless.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:49 AM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

When I heel toe, I go with one motion from 3rd to 2nd while breaking and blipping the throttle to rev match the lower gear. When you speak of double clutching, are you going to neutral first, then release the clutch, press it again when going to the lower gear while blipping the throttle? Seems like a lot of action. Is it that much difference to the synchros?

When I speak of heel toe blipping I am always talking about double clutching. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Blipping with the clutch pedal to the floor is basically useless.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I came to Porsches from English sports cars where double clutching was de rigueur. My first Porsche DE instructor told me (14 years ago!) that it was unnecessary and a waste of time and haven 't since, except when I began to have shifting problems. Do you think that we ought to go back to trying to teach double clutching to DE students?
Old 01-18-2015, 12:10 PM
RedRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The short answer for those who don't want to read it all? I recommend Delvac for a car that is more track than street...

Matt
Matt, you have also had very good reports on Millers, as well, correct? Both in Europe and here in the states I believe. I was under the impression that Delvac is recommended/sufficient, but that while very expensive the Millers was even better.

Appreciate your advice on gradually warming up the gearbox, but most of our sessions are only 20-25 minutes long. Good advice, but. 20 minutes of warmup for 1-2 laps at full speed requires superhuman restraint! ;-)

Who is Bill Rader (no offense, just never heard the name)? Please share what you learned from him regarding gear lube, thank you.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRSA
Who is Bill Rader (no offense, just never heard the name)? Please share what you learned from him regarding gear lube, thank you.
One of the (if not the?) highly regarded porsche transmission shops:

http://www.billradermotorsports.net/about.html

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the car after my first track day