Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts on the car after my first track day

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:31 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Thoughts on the car after my first track day

The frog is ridiculous, especially when I tried to take the Miata line . I'm really happy with how the car is set up right now, but will make a few more small changes like sway bars and a more aggressive alignment down the road. As a driver, I've been working on keeping my eyes up and smoothing out my transitions from brake to throttle, and vice versa.

Only a few things I'm unhappy with:
- Still get the occasional grind on my 3-2 downshift, even with my Numeric set to something a little less aggressive. Such horrible sounds :/
- Need more, stickier tires...running 235 and 305 Hankook RS3s. Good tires for the street, but not sticky enough for me on track. ABS would kick in almost immediately after high speed braking: T1, T5, T9, T10, T14 (I think this is also contributing to my brake fade)
- Gas pedal position is too low and makes it difficulty to heel toe consistently. I have some SRP pedals that I am planning on installing, any idea if this will solve my problem?

Best lap:

Last edited by ngng; 01-12-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

I'm really happy with how the car is set up right now, but will make a few more small changes like sway bars and a more aggressive alignment down the road. As a driver, I've been working on keeping my eyes up and smoothing out my transitions from brake to throttle, and vice versa.
Car seemed a bit tail happy at not so aggressive speeds. Tires or setup? You're on adjustable dampers right?

- Still get the occasional grind on my 3-2 downshift, even with my Numeric set to something a little less aggressive. Such horrible sounds :/
Take your time and don't rush the shift. Synchros could be going, it's not unheard of. Cup car steel synchros seem to fix this. My car is good on downshifts. It's high lateral 2-3 shifts that sometimes get balky when car is hot. Have to take my time and it's fine.

- Need more, stickier tires...running 235 and 305 Hankook RS3s. Good tires for the street, but not sticky enough for me on track. ABS would kick in almost immediately after high speed braking: T1, T5, T9, T10, T14 (I think this is also contributing to my brake fade)
Seemed like you were braking really early on front and back straights. Or sort of easing into the corners and coasting. Was this confidence in the braking? Put some Nitto on that thing. Surprised you are getting fade. Fluid? Pads? I've come off with my brakes smoking but no fade.

- Gas pedal position is too low and makes it difficulty to heel toe consistently. I have some SRP pedals that I am planning on installing, any idea if this will solve my problem?
It should, did you get the extender? I have the rennline setup and I am much better at H/T now with it.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,700 Likes on 2,342 Posts

i already told him to call my nitto warehouse ;-0
Old 01-12-2015, 02:47 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Car seemed a bit tail happy at not so aggressive speeds. Tires or setup? You're on adjustable dampers right?

I want to say tires over setup: 235 and 305 Hankook RS3s @ 34 psi front/38 psi rear hot. Have tire temps written down at home.

Car was corner weighted with a 180# driver
661 LF 637RF
1090 LR 1040 RR

-2.5 deg front camber
-2.0 deg rear camber
1/16 front toe out
3/16 rear toe in

Shock pressures:
175psi front
200psi rear

Shock settings:
3 front compression
4 front rebound
4 rear compression
4 rear rebound

700# front springs
900# rear springs
Take your time and don't rush the shift. Synchros could be going, it's not unheard of. Cup car steel synchros seem to fix this. My car is good on downshifts. It's high lateral 2-3 shifts that sometimes get balky when car is hot. Have to take my time and it's fine.
The problem only ever manifests itself on track. Sharkwerks took a look at it when they were doing my coolant lines and everything checked out. I'll try to slow it down next time and see if it helps.

Seemed like you were braking really early on front and back straights. Or sort of easing into the corners and coasting. Was this confidence in the braking? Put some Nitto on that thing. Surprised you are getting fade. Fluid? Pads? I've come off with my brakes smoking but no fade.
Yeah, I'm braking REALLY early. Trying to brake late ABS would lock up and I'd get progressively worse brakes through the session. Running Stoptech 660 fluid (fresh before the event, and flushed it for the second day). Pads are the Stoptech 34 compound. Running the Stoptech Trophy kit in front and rear.

It should, did you get the extender? I have the rennline setup and I am much better at H/T now with it.
By extender, do you mean the side piece? If, so, yes.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:49 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
i already told him to call my nitto warehouse ;-0
needed wheels first...

Name:  bvbZLra.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  176.8 KB

now I have them. picked up the ccw cw10s. 18" please.do you like the nittos over r888?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:19 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Nittos > R888

For my RS, I ran NT01s front and the shaved RA1s in the rear. I think I'll have one full set left after COTA so I'll either sell those or put them on the E88s and drive them on the street.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:23 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ngng
needed wheels first...

now I have them. picked up the ccw cw10s. 18" please.do you like the nittos over r888?
r888 is for swings you hang off tree so kids can play. it was not designed to be used on cars.

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Nittos > R888

For my RS, I ran NT01s front and the shaved RA1s in the rear. I think I'll have one full set left after COTA so I'll either sell those or put them on the E88s and drive them on the street.
smart man.

oh ngng if you need more wheels, trojan is selling his.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:04 PM
ngng
Drifting

DONT NEED MORE ANYTHING!! all of you are a bad influence. mooty, got your pm. will reply in a few.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:29 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,301 Posts

DONT NEED MORE ANYTHING!! all of you are a bad influence. mooty, got your pm. will reply in a few.
Forgelines are going up for sale in the next few weeks, it'll be much tougher to make me part with my gold E88s though.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:55 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

have you heard... "resistance is futile...."

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Forgelines are going up for sale in the next few weeks, it'll be much tougher to make me part with my gold E88s though.
i am sure gold 88 stays.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,351 Posts

I agree on the synchro wear issue, I might be tempted to flush the transmission oil and replace (redline?) to see if this helps (once its at temp), if not my bet is this will take a set of cup (steel) synchros to resolve (might as well do an LWFW and new LSD while the tranny is out)
Old 01-12-2015, 06:25 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

A lightweight flywheel looses inertia very quickly, so give it a good blip.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:36 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Synchros could be going, it's not unheard of. Cup car steel synchros seem to fix this. My car is good on downshifts. It's high lateral 2-3 shifts that sometimes get balky when car is hot.
I agree 100%, this happened to me when I first got my car. Swapped to the Motorsports stuff and it is all good now
Old 01-12-2015, 06:36 PM
ngng
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I agree on the synchro wear issue, I might be tempted to flush the transmission oil and replace (redline?) to see if this helps (once its at temp), if not my bet is this will take a set of cup (steel) synchros to resolve (might as well do an LWFW and new LSD while the tranny is out)
Trans fluid flush is simple enough, I'll do that first. Any idea what the avg cost of a trans rebuild is? Already have the 4.0 LWFW

LSD needs to be replaced for sure, I'm going to throw her on the lift and send the diff to get rebuilt. Need to find some shop time though, lots of people using it lately!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Welcome to the sinkhole.

needed wheels first...

I've a set of fikse what would look pimp on that green RS. I've not run r888. Everyone (not just here, but everyone) I have talked to has said they go off really fast. NT01 is way better. Those old RA1 rears, they work nice, surprisingly good for their age. Little more rotation than NT01 but wear good and are CHEAP!!!! I have 1.5 sets left... then off to the nittos collecting dust in my garage.

Trans fluid flush is simple enough, I'll do that first. Any idea what the avg cost of a trans rebuild is? Already have the 4.0 LWFW

LSD needs to be replaced for sure, I'm going to throw her on the lift and send the diff to get rebuilt. Need to find some shop time though, lots of people using it lately!
Tranny... if you have to ask.... if all it is is synchos it'll be mostly labor as those parts aren't very expensive. But then there is all the 'while in there' stuff. If your diff is original, its gone. Get that done. Guard clubsport or pro are sweet. Or just do a rebuild with their ramps.

On the fluid, drain and fill with Delvac. Seems to stand up to track temps better. It's what factory uses on cup cars too.

Who did your alignment? TCD? I would tell Tony what you felt in the car and have him adjust. There are too many variables here :-) but first step is tires and ensure diff is good.

What do the fast guys run with this config? I barely broke 2:10 but it was my first time on that track and I'm a really slow learner.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the car after my first track day